Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Any van owners know where the blower relay is? FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:58 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Any van owners know where the blower relay is? FIXED!!

Hello fellow van owners. My front blower motor quit all of a sudden. It was working perfectly, I parked the van for about an hour and now nothing.

I have yet to start testing it, but my reading points me toward the blower relay. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is or even what it looks like. The van is an '88 e250 with front and rear heat/ac. Any van owners know where the relay would be located.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2015, 02:53 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jayro88
Hello fellow van owners. My front blower motor quit all of a sudden. It was working perfectly, I parked the van for about an hour and now nothing.

I have yet to start testing it, but my reading points me toward the blower relay. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is or even what it looks like. The van is an '88 e250 with front and rear heat/ac. Any van owners know where the relay would be located.

Thanks

I assume you are talking about the front blower. (Maybe you don't have a rear one too, like my clubwagon).

Does it work on high, but not low and medium? If yes, then it's your blower motor resistor, located in the passenger side engine compartment near the first injector.

If your blower doesnt' work at all, then did you check the fuse? As for the relay, I'll check my official ford manual.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:00 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Sorry, I reread your original post, and you said "front." My bad.

Maybe this can help. I'll keep digging:

Looks like you have a fuse to check out, and a fusable link too.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:14 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by genscripter
I assume you are talking about the front blower. (Maybe you don't have a rear one too, like my clubwagon).

Does it work on high, but not low and medium? If yes, then it's your blower motor resistor, located in the passenger side engine compartment near the first injector.

If your blower doesnt' work at all, then did you check the fuse? As for the relay, I'll check my official ford manual.
Thanks for the info. It doesn't work at all, so it isn't the resistor. I knew about the fuse under the dash, but not about the fusible link. I wonder where exactly "RH Fender Apron" is? I will have to go poke around.....problem is that I don't know what it looks like.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:47 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
I love easy/fast fixes. Didn't have to brave the 26*f for very long......

Checked the fuse under the dash and it was fine. So then I moved on to verify voltage at the blower plug. Taking a closer look at the plug I noticed that the clip was broken on it. I went ahead an pulled it apart, cleaned it up and made sure it was securely plugged back together. The blower kicked on immediately!!!

I guess the first question to ask when something electrical isn't working is "Is it plugged in?"

Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
I love easy/fast fixes. Didn't have to brave the 26*f for very long......

I wouldn't know. I'm suffering here in Los Angeles where its a blustery 70 degrees and too much sun.

Gotta love fast fixes.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
I wouldn't know. I'm suffering here in Los Angeles where its a blustery 70 degrees and too much sun.

Gotta love fast fixes.
Now your just bragging.....

I had to laugh when it was just partially unplugged. Mainly because I work doing IT support and we always laugh at users who say things aren't working and it ends up being because it is unplugged or turned off. Gotta love the irony.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:17 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Now your just bragging.....

I had to laugh when it was just partially unplugged. Mainly because I work doing IT support and we always laugh at users who say things aren't working and it ends up being because it is unplugged or turned off. Gotta love the irony.

Like Nick Burns?

Old 02-26-2015, 07:38 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
That's awesome!!

Yet it is kind of eerie how true it is sometimes..........

Old 02-26-2015, 10:36 AM
ozdatman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic

Just had that conversation with my 13 year old son. His phone was acting glichy and he was getting all annoyed. Brought it to me. I rebooted it and bingo, works perfectly.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats bud,

Wish my fix was that simple. Its not very fun snaking out the blower motor when you don't want to remove anything, specifically on a diesel. But it can be done

Old 02-26-2015, 12:54 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Gettysburg150
Congrats bud,

Wish my fix was that simple. Its not very fun snaking out the blower motor when you don't want to remove anything, specifically on a diesel. But it can be done
That's what I was thinking when I was looking at it. It looked like there were a number of AC lines in the way along with some wiring. I was dreading it even more with the current outside temps.

I was suprised it was the plug since my issues seem to NEVER be the easy fix version.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets hope that continues for ya lol. You must have taken my luck, cause mine don't go that way lol

Old 02-26-2015, 02:50 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Gettysburg150
Congrats bud,

Did you remove the blower motor from the hood side, or did you remove it from the inside passenger foot area? Someone told me that on the pre '91 vans you can remove the black cover under the passenger side dash and easily pull the motor that way. I didn't get that far in to it, but I wondered if I could get to it that way or if the heater core etc would be in the way. Certainly sounds nicer doing it from the inside.

Quick Reply: Any van owners know where the blower relay is? FIXED!!