IP/Fuel/Power issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:59 AM
soundguy67
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IP/Fuel/Power issue

Hello All,

I'm looking for opinions on what to do first. Local dealer installed a new IP on my 90 idi and ever since it's absolutely gutless. Can't get out of its' own way. Starts perfect, no black smoke.

So, should I:

A) Adjust throttle to open more

B) Turn up fuel

C) Advance IP timing

D) Go to Jamaica

Cheers from snowy/icy/rainy/-20c Nova Scotia

Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
E) BEFORE paying the credit card bill with that transaction (you DID get this done on a credit card, right?), take it back to the dealer and have them FINISH the JOB by getting it to run at least as well as it did before you brought it in. Seat of the pants tells me they just slapped it on based on the markings on the gears, and didn't actually TIME it. That, or they just connected the throttle cable any old way.

No surprise; your truck was built before most of the mechanics there knew which end of a wrench to use. Dealership service departments are "pediatricians", used to working on vehicles they sell (i.e. 0-6 years old, no more than 10). You need to find a place that specializes in old diesels. But since you already started the work with them, they need to finish it.

(Now that you mention it, Jamaica might not be a bad idea. Probably lots of old coots there who work on nothing less than 20 years old....)

Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 AM
soundguy67
New User
It was done quite a while ago and, to be honest, I don't trust them.

The last job they did for me was rear shoes/cylinders/hardware on an E350 dually, and they put the shoes on the wrong sides, which left them nowhere to connect the adjusting cables, so they tied them up! A Ford dealership doing less than amateur work for $85.00 an hour...I do ALL my own now.

So, here I am, with a gutless idi. Any and all help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Old 02-25-2015, 10:36 AM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK then you asked for it

Is your pump "new" or rebuilt?? This forum knows of a few places that can rebuild a pump to factory or better quality. Unfortunately, there are many "rebuilders" who will reseal the pump, clean it up and paint it, and sell it as a rebuilt unit without actually replacing any wear parts.

Here are some quality rebuilders (do note that you pay for what you get):

R&D IDI Performance

fuel injection injection pump injection pump rebuilding injection pump repair, Conestoga Diesel Injection Fuel Injection and Turbocharger Rebuilding. The Moose Pump people! Willow Street, PA Home

Next is timing. I personally would suspect that first. Do a search here and you'll get more info than you know what to do with. I gotta go get to work

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:05 AM
soundguy67
New User
It's a new pump, not a reman. I sourced it myself as the dealer wanted ridiculous $$.

It drives like there's a governor on it....or the throttle is only opening part way, which I'm certain it is.

I'm tempted to try turning the fuel up a flat or two first as it starts and runs fine, other than a complete lack of power. A total lack of black smoke makes me feel it might be fuel starved.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:20 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
there is a governor on it.it's set to like 3600? "ish" lol rpm though.
if you suspect the pedal in the cab isn't opening the injection pump lever the whole way,then your throttle cable might be stretched.
pop the hood,have an assistant press the accelerator to the floor,while you then inspect the lever on the ip to see if it's going wide open (you should do this when you buy the truck,and once per year after.) if not,then replace the cable.if so,then try turning the fuel up a flat.
when all said and done,go with D.!! go to Jamaica!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM
soundguy67
New User
Well, I still not in Jamaica...

So, turned up the fuel a flat, adjusted throttle cable, and gave 1/2 of a Canadian dimes' worth of ip advance, and it's exactly the same. Tarpdiddle....

More ip advance?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:28 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it smoke when WOT?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:29 PM
soundguy67
New User
No. None. Nothing. A little blue on startup, that's it.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:47 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Turn it up some more then. Not sure why it doesnt, it should haze (not smoke) at full throttle, just enough to see it.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:53 PM
soundguy67
New User
Turn up fuel or advance it more?

It definitely doesn't have the rattle my others do when started cold....

Old 02-26-2015, 08:00 PM
soundguy67
New User
So, gave it up for the day after putting 3 dimes worth of advance in it, turned up the fuel by a "flat" and adjusted the throttle to assure it's going wfo.

Still no great rattle out of it...test drives all still felt like it was on a limiter, with very little power getting me to that limiter.

I'm tempted to put even more advance in tomorrow after seeing if it rattles badly on cold startup or not. Otherwise, I'm stumped...

Suggestions?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
I wonder if when they installed the IP if they got the gear off a tooth or two. It sure sounds like it needs more advance...

Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
after the fuel increase was there any smoke coming from the exhaust at wot,or any time for that matter?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
If it was a tooth off i would think it would be smoking. Do you have a pyro? that would be really helpfull right about now

Quick Reply: IP/Fuel/Power issue