Which Tuner to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 AM
2000 Ex-cursion
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Tuner to use?

Hey Guys,

I need some help. MY 2000 6.8 is going to be the mule pulling my new Rockwood 8327ss.It will be in around April 20th and will be around 9500# loaded. I have 212,000 and everything seems ok right now and it runs great, but I would just to have a little more HP / Torque and higher shift points. I do not want anything to push the limits too far. Im adding the 6.0 Tranny cooler and I have 4.30 gears.So any insight or suggestions would be great thanks. Oh btw I have a Flowmasters and K & N filter on it already.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:34 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hands down 5star tuning is the way to go! While your at it get the better Y-pipe from SPD when you order the tuner. You can get a pkg deal from 5star.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:44 AM
2000 Ex-cursion
Senior User
1 Excursion camper how Does your Truck do pulling your travel trailer?It looks like we have close to the same set up. Did you do the spring upgrade along with the air bags?

Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 PM
jusbatty
New User
2000 Ex-cursion, Did you see a big difference when you added the flowmaster and the K&N filter? Which FM do you have? Is it loud inside the cab? I am looking to do that to my 2003 with less than 60k on it. Really nervous about it though. Congrats on the new rig even though it has been a year plus. Lol! Thanks Man. Jusbatty

Old 02-24-2015, 01:15 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 Ex, my X does great pulling my 9200lb TT. I took a trip to Disney one year and hitting any type of incline would drop the truck out of O/D this was constant unless I locked out O/D. after that trip I knew I needed some type of tuner just for fixing the poor shift programming Ford put in these things. the tuner made huge improvements in how it drives with the trailer. I can now hit any type of incline without it dropping out of O/D. it takes quite a bit of an incline/grade to get it to drop to third. so much more relaxing, I wish I would`ve done the tuner years ago, I`ve had it now for 3 years, money well spent!

No, I still have the stock springs with the Air Lift 1000 bags. I went with the 1000`s because I had them previously and they attach to the front of the axle on the spring. this helps load the spring which reduces spring wrap. the X specific bags go between the axle and frame. when aired up under load they will unload the springs and this in turn will cause increased axle wrap.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM
2000 Ex-cursion
Senior User
jusbatty, I have the big block Flowmaster. I m not for sure what number it is but I personally do not think it is too loud. The wife snarls everyonce in awhile lol. The overall seat of the pants feel is not much different other than I feel like it breathes a little better when I am really on it. As far as mileage I have not a clue, not much used on checking it, I know its not going to be good lol.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:52 PM
2000 Ex-cursion
Senior User
1 Excursion camper, Thanks for the info on the air bags and tuner, I think Im going to go the 5 star route with the y pipe, and look into the air bags, I have to get a Hellig sway bar also. I cant wait to get hooked up and go camping.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
I am also a huge 5Star Tuning fan, as 1 EX Camper said it made a very good improvement in hill climbing while towing, much better shift schedule in the Tow/Performance tunes than stock. If your EX has one of the factory T shaped "Y" pipes then I also agree to get the upgraded Y pipe from 5Star along with the tuner. Be sure to fill out their calibration request form so they can take your other mods into consideration when writing your custom tunes. With how I drive I have found that I get better results using the 87 and 89 Octane Performance tunes while towing than I do using the Tow tunes, but part of that is my driving style, always with an eye on MPGs. I think the tow tunes would work better for the guys trying to get to the top of the hill first.
Our TT is 41' and 11k and my combination of 4.88 gears and 35" tires nets me an effective ratio of 4.39 so I think your 4.30s should serve you well with that 9k TT. Be sure to invest in a high quality WD hitch setup and take your time to get it dialed in correctly, makes towing so much more comfortable and safe!

Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM
2000 Ex-cursion
Senior User
WOW!! WE3ZS I was thinking I might be pushing the limit a little on Hp and Tq with my unit. I am now relieved seeing another EX'er pulling a larger unit than mine. I am very conserative when driving for the most part but every once in awhile its nice to open it up a bit and let her stretch her legs. What do you suggest when getting a new W/D hitch.How far have you pulled your unit? Thanks for all of the info and input!!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:37 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by 2000 Ex-cursion
WOW!! WE3ZS I was thinking I might be pushing the limit a little on Hp and Tq with my unit. I am now relieved seeing another EX'er pulling a larger unit than mine. I am very conserative when driving for the most part but every once in awhile its nice to open it up a bit and let her stretch her legs. What do you suggest when getting a new W/D hitch.How far have you pulled your unit? Thanks for all of the info and input!!

Your hitch purchase will have to be based on your budget and research, there a are a lot of options out there from El Cheapo junk all the way up to Pro-Prides and Hensleys. I use a Hensley Arrow sway elimination WD hitch with 1400lb spring bars, very similar to the slightly less pricey (when buying new) Pro-Pride, very high quality top end hitches. Then you have the Dual Cams and other units with built in sway control, with the size trailer you are looking at I would recommend something at this level or better. Do not go for the cheaper units with the friction based slide bar style sway bar(s), today's longer trailers need more than they can give.
I found my Hensley Arrow used on craigslist for $650, I repainted it and replaced 2 of the bearings and all 4 seals, looks and works like new!
We are based just outside of Philly and have pulled on separate trips to Savannah GA, Charleston SC, Sunset Beach NC, Cave City KY & Smokey Mnts TN, Blacksburg VA, Abbington MD, Pittsburg PA, Watkins Glen NY, Cape Cod MA & Mystic CT, Freeport ME, and a swing through VT, NH and RI as well as several "local" trips around our tri-state area.
Between the SC and GA trips I installed Banks headers, along the same route (I-95 N/S) the extra power from the headers allowed more time in OD and increased the towing MPGs by 1, and now with the tunes we have seen multiple pulls in the 8.5 to 9 MPG range with a best yet of 9.25 MPG on a run home from RI going around NYC. In stock trim with the 3.73 gears and stock sized tires (31.5") we saw averages of 6.5 to 7 MPG pulling our 9.5k toyhauler, the mods have been worth it to me!
This is my Hensley Arrow hitch shown on the old toyhauler.

This is the new longer heavier TT.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:46 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I also have a very similar setup to yours. I have a 7.3L, but the length and weight of the trailers are similar.

Have you done any modifications to the suspension? If not, I would put the tuner on hold and start putting together suspension upgrades because a stock Excursion is going to struggle with that load, handling wise.

I just finished doing all the work and my truck tows great now.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:49 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
^^This^^
Andy is absolutely correct, the stock EX suspension is NOT up to this task, it will need some help first!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:58 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000 Ex-cursion
What do you suggest when getting a new W/D hitch.How far have you pulled your unit? Thanks for all of the info and input!!
Missed this the first time.

I bought one at the RV dealership. It ended up being $500 installed, but I'm very happy with the way it tows. It's a cheaper model but there is very little sway and the truck handles the load well. You can spend a ton more on the Hensley but depending on how much driving you do and your budget, I wouldn't judge anyone for staying with the more standard WD hitch/friction bar setup.

I've towed my RV twice - once home from the dealership, and another on a camping trip which was about a 7-8 hour drive each way. However, it was from sea level to 7600', back down to 5300' to camp, and over 7600' to get home. It was snowing at the top both times, but MUCH heavier the first time. They were making everyone put chains on but the guy let us through without them. I think he screwed up but, again, the truck did great.