Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

03 f250 with the 7.3L

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 PM
New User

dustingoss88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
03 f250 with the 7.3L

I start it up and drive down the road and when i stop at a light or stop sign my truck will not accelerate and it losses power
Old 02-23-2015, 11:21 PM
New User

RichardinVirginia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need to know more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustingoss88 View Post
I start it up and drive down the road and when i stop at a light or stop sign my truck will not accelerate and it losses power
That is not a lot to go on. Right off I would be checking the two main things needed. Unrestricted fuel supply and unrestricted air flow.

Check filtering of fuel and filtering of air. Are the filters changed on a regular basis?

How many miles on the truck, how long have you owned it what have you repaired or replaced on it. Have you done any major modifications? Etc.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 PM
New User

The truck has 256000 miles i have changed the air filter and fuel filter i have owened the truck for two weeks the turbo gets really hot. It has a power cip that the previous owner put in and i dont know what elts he has done
Old 02-23-2015, 11:36 PM
New User

perhaps previous owner can help u?

Quote:
The truck has 256000 miles i have changed the air filter and fuel filter i have owned the truck for two weeks the turbo gets really hot. It has a power cip that the previous owner put in and I don't know what else he has done
Is there any way to check fuel pressure (and or flow?).

My 2001 7.3 Turbo is pretty stock. I am sorry, I don't know much about chip packages.

If there is anyway you can ask the previous owner about this? -- that is where I would start.

By the way there is a lot of help on the internet. Lots of You Tube stuff and the like. I learned a lot from forums like this and from research. It takes time but it also saves you thousands of dollars over having to take it to a garage --- they love to see a diesel come in because they can overcharge you at will!

Wish I could be more help. But do the research and be patient.

If the fuel pressure is low, you then can diagnose the fuel pressure pump, the fuel lines, and the fuel tank for probable causes.

Good luck God bless America!

Last edited by RichardinVirginia; 02-23-2015 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 PM
New User

I took the power chip out so its just stock now i think but i was told the turbo should not get hot and if it das that means there is something wrong with the intercooler. Is this ccorrect.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:26 AM
New User

Quote:
I took the power chip out so its just stock now i think but i was told the turbo should not get hot and if it das that means there is something wrong with the intercooler. Is this ccorrect.
Hmmm not sure, if that is the issue warning they are not cheap!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:29 AM
New User

The main purpose of a powerstroke intercooler is to cool the turbocharger compressor discharge air. Front-mount intercoolers are typically installed behind your vehicle's grille, and it routes the discharge air through a high-efficiency heat exchanger core. This allows for a lower exhaust temperature as well as an extended engine life for your vehicle. These units are typically designed to fit specific vehicles, but a universal intercooler is designed to work with many different vehicle makes and models. Universal kits can include aluminum pipes, silicone hoses, and stainless steel clamps required for a complete installation. Sizes vary, but many intercoolers measure around 28 inches by 6 inches by 2.5 inches to easily fit behind your vehicle's grille. A powerstroke intercooler allows for better fuel efficiency and increased power. With the large inventory on eBay, you can find the right size unit for your vehicle.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:40 AM
New User

You are new to the 7.3 diesel... are you SURE there is an inter cooler ?

Mine does not have one.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 AM
New User

I looked at it and yes it has a intercooler i really dont know anything other the i have no power ones that turbo get hot
Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
I would expect the turbo to get hot, with the exhaust gasses routed through it. How hot? Glowing red hot? Do you hear metallic squeaks coming from it? Can you hear it spool up?

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM
New User

It sounds like it spools but not like it should and im getting alot of white and gray smoke no black
Old 02-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
You may have a boost leak. Not knowing much of the history of the truck, you are going to need to do some serious diagnostics. It is difficult to postulate with the amount of info you have. Is there a reputable diesel shop near you that would be willing to do a diagnostic? Maybe if you post your location someone in the brotherhood here that has the right scan tool may be close and willing to help for a six pack or two.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:18 PM
New User

I live in freedom ny i took my truck over to brothers diesel and we think we might have figured it out we hope thanks for the ideas if u have more just keep writing them for me
Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Posting Guru

What does the diesel shop think it was??

Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
^^^^^^What he said. Let us know what they found out.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM