6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tire Chains

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Randy Klauk
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Chains

This has probably been covered before but I'll bring it up again for we newbies.
Among the many of things I signed when I took delivery of my 2014 F250 2wd/cc/lwb Lariat is a piece of paper stating: AS EQUIPED, THIS VEHICLE MAY NOT BE OPERATED WITH TIRE CHAINS BUT MAY ACCOMMODATE SOME OTHER TYPE OF TIRE TRACTION DEVICE. SEE THE OWNERS MANUAL FOR DETAILS. The Owners Manual says 'Do not use snow chains on vehicles with 20 inch tires and wheels'. It goes on to say ......'if you need to use cables, it is recommended that steel wheels (of the same size and specifications) be used as cables may chip aluminum wheels.'
So, while having my oil changed last week at the dealership, I wandered into the parts department and asked a counter person what kind of chains they sold. He showed me some cable type devices with flexible tubing material covering the cables crossing the traction surface area of the tire. I said they didn't look as if they would provide much traction as the loose fitting tubing would slip if the wheel was spinning. He said they had to be designed that was to accommodate the ABS. At the time it kinda made sense but after checking the owners manual and finding no mention of ABS issues I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts regarding this.
Thanks,
Randy

Old 02-24-2015, 03:35 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
There is always a chance of cables/chains hitting the wheels, but look at the tire profile and you'll see why. Older tires stick out past the wheels all the around the wheel, but when the new wheel/tire design came out in the KR models of the 6.0s, then widely with the SRW F250s/350s in the 6.4s, the wheel face is VERY close to the outside of the tire. Up until about a year ago no one made a tire cable for my buddy's '06 F250 Harley Edition due to that very reason. Very few are made for them. If anyone will have them, Tire Chains by TireChains.com or Buy Tires Online and Read Reviews and Ratings - Vulcan Tire Sales - Tires, TPMS, and More... Falken - Yokohama - Pirelli - Kumho - Goodyear - Nexen - RV Tires, Tire Reviews and more... may, or at least give you some more advice.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there are certain places where you have to have chains to travel certain mountain interstate passes (Washington state rings a bell). Are studded tires permitted in your parts? May be an decent alternative, but if not I'd definitely get some steel wheels for winter use if I had to use chains/cables.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
I would get the cable type and not look back. I have a set for my conversion van and they are great. Never had any problem with interference anywhere although they are cumbersome to get on because of the lack of clearance.

I keep them in there for emergency use and have used them on several occasions.

One time a storm rolled in and snow started sticking faster than expected. I put them on and headed home. The road looked like a disaster area - cars, 4wd trucks, and even a school bus had all spun out and slid off the road and abandoned. Here I come clomp clomp clomp clomping past and on home. This is in a van that got stuck on the frosty grass.

I even put them on my F150 4x4 once during a couple blizzards a few years back.

Worth every last penny.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
Tire technology is SO GOOD these days that winter tires may be all you need. I don't know what your conditions are but I would seriously consider winter tires with studs as well. Lots of good info, comparisons, reviews, on tirerack.com. That's where I do all my tire research.
You'll have to have two sets of wheels or dismount twice a year but both are good options.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:04 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra
Tire technology is SO GOOD these days that winter tires may be all you need. I don't know what your conditions are but I would seriously consider winter tires with studs as well. Lots of good info, comparisons, reviews, on tirerack.com. That's where I do all my tire research.
You'll have to have two sets of wheels or dismount twice a year but both are good options.

I have traveled thru Wash, Idaho, Montana, Co and across the US in the wintertime. Back in the mid 80's there was a storm of the century that covered Tenn and Ken. I was in the Army going from Tx to Va, I drove across Tenn, weaving, dodging and finding my way around 18 wheelers stuck, some laying on their sides. The winter before I arrived at Ft Lewis Wa the day after Thanksgiving to snow a foot deep and it stayed that way or got worse all winter long.

My car: Jeep Cherokee 4x4

My tires: Goodyear off roads (forgot what they called them) Todays Goodyear MTR's and BFG KM2's are as good as it gets. I see little use for chains or cables unless its ice, then tire studs are holding all the ACES. I have pulled plenty of folks out of ditches in snow that had chains and cables.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:13 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
We use chains here due to the ice we get. We hardly ever get just a snowfall. I agree that good tires are must, but even 4WD doesn't do much good here at times.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:31 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
We use chains here due to the ice we get. We hardly ever get just a snowfall. I agree that good tires are must, but even 4WD doesn't do much good here at times.
When it comes to ice, chains and studs rule!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
When it comes to ice, chains and studs rule!
Yep, but studs are banned here!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
The chains you choose will depend on the intended use.

Where I go cable chains will not cut it. I have gotten stuck with heavy link chains.
I use chains often and have had no issues with ABS.
I think the issue with the 20" wheels is nothing more than a concern with the chains scratching the wheels ......

I would get whatever will work for your application.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never had to chain-up with the Duratracs and cross the Cascades every week, travel into central BC and to Montana........but to be compliant with the state law and just in case, I carry these:
Amazon.com: Security Chain Company SZ468 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: Security Chain Company SZ468 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2: Automotive
Hope I'll never have to mess with them but they're there if needed. Supposedly no clearance issues and ABS compliant.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:57 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I have not had to chain up a rig for many years now. I don't seem to get as far back into the Mtns in the Winter as I did elk hunting when I was a young punk. I have never had to chain up going over the Cascades or Coast Range in the snow due to 4 wheel drive and traction tires. I do carry good quality steel chains just in case, but luckily have not needed them in the last decade.
I have 18" wheels, so my chain selection is a little better, I like the heavy steel chains over the cable chains.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:36 PM
Randy Klauk
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the great replies and photos.
darren32- Wow! chained up at all four corners looks like it will get you anywhere you want to go.
I live southern Calif. so I don't have any issues with having to chain up to get to work or home. However, any trip to the local mountains in the winter better include chains because the least bit of snow will have the leo's setting up chain stops to either prove you have chains with you our require you to chain up. FWD will sometimes get you through but M/S tires never will. They assume no one here knows how to drive in snow and they're right!
I'm also wondering if the paper I signed regarding chains is a Ford requirement or dealer requirement. There isn't any Ford emblem/logo anywhere on it. Does anyone else remember seeing something like this included in your new vehicle packet?
Thanks again for the quick responses and helpful information.
Randy

Old 02-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Anyone tried auto socks?

Unless you are Darren where chains are needed often, I thought about getting a pair and trying them out.

I did this winter with the stock M+S tires and 4WD, but had this been a "Real" winter I would have gotten studded snow tires, which are legal here in Alaska. I do not see too many people running around with chains on up here. First, is with studs you can go highway speeds and chains you are always limited to 30mph...

No one I have spoken with has recommended cables, they go so far as to say if you are going to get chains, get chains - not the cables. I have experience with cables or chains... I see a big different between my wife's car with studs and no studs though.

On Edit: I do not remember that sheet of paper you are referring to when I bought my Truck.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:47 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I am in Southern Oregon and did not sign anything about tire chains when I purchased either of my trucks. Thankfully up here LEO will let 4x4s with good tires go without chaining up most times, unless they are towing, then both truck and trailer need chains.
Pat

Quick Reply: Tire Chains