Vendor Specials, Discounts, Product Announcements & Group Buys This is the place to check out offers from FTE sponsors. Non-sponsor vendors may not post here.

HIDextra LED Light Bars and HID kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 AM
big-head
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great. Can't wait to get home next week and order mine also....
Looks great Turbo Dog lets us know after u get them hooked up etc.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:53 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Behind the grill on the old mount but just a little too high

This is the point I'm using to mount the crossbar

Had sometime last night and the weather was cooperating (snowing this morning) so I did a quick mock up. First pic is of the HIDextra light on the old mount showing it being a bit too high. Second is the point where that crossbar is mounted.

The light is too tall and deep for the mount I already made. It will fit between the hood brackets that hold the front grill in place, but I don't know if I want all that weight on those brackets. Otherwise I'll probably just modify or make a new cross bar to fit this light. It's gonna look nice behind the grill, but I'm wondering if I use a little Night Shades spray tint on it , like I did to the running lights above it, will it hurt the light output too much.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 AM
HIDextra
Former Vendor
Behind the grill does look really nice and hidden! It's slightly taller but not by much. Also, for the night shades tint, how transparent is that tint. I am sure it will affect the output slightly but not by a lot unless the tint is really dar. Can you easily wipe off the tint if you needed to? I would try to do one side for testing if you can.

Keep us updated with the install with pictures!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
You can't wipe the tint off, once it's sprayed on it dries like paint. I'll be leaving it bare for now to gauge how much light it puts out. If it's more than I need then I'll consider a light coat of the tint to help it blend in.

Hoping to get time to work on it on Saturday.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master

Needed to lower the mounting height about 2" below the bolt for the hood bumper

The mounting bar installed

The HIDextra 32" light on the bar

The HIDextra light behind the grill

Too much to do this weekend to get everything done. I did get the HIDextra light installed behind the grill, but I didn't get it wired up. The wiring kit looks like it will make wiring it fast and easy. Now work is going to get in the way and I'll be out in some rural parts of WYO for the next two weeks doing some testing. So the night time lighting pics will have to wait.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:53 AM
HIDextra
Former Vendor
That is looking super nice! We can't wait to see it lit up! Good job with the install and thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:56 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
The weekend is getting closer...I'm itching to get back to my truck and get that HIDextra light bar wired up. Shouldn't take to long.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Got back to my truck and got it wired. That wiring kit is made out of very nice materials. It made wiring the light as simple as possible. Only took about 15 minutes to install the harness.

I had to replace the ring terminals with smaller ones when I connected the positive and negative leads, as well as adding about a foot of wire to the ground wire. The ground can't be hooked directly to the battery on a modern truck if you want the battery condition monitoring system to work correctly.

On the other end the switch needs about 3 more feet of wire to reach the dash. I left it under the hood for now because I didn't have all the same wire colors on hand.

Pictures...I don't know how folks are getting such good night pictures. I could see the light in the view finder but when I downloaded them this morning they were all black. I had the truck pointing into a field, hoping to show the distance. I'll try again in couple of days with the truck pointing at something it can illuminate.

The light is very bright and goes out about 75 yards. It isn't any wider than the narrow pattern made by my factory HID headlights. My mounting point behind the grill does lessen the amount of light a little bit, for maximum light it should be put out front of the grill. It will be a nice benefit on back roads at night, but I still need to add something to light up the critters on the sides of the roads.

Overall, this light rocks

Old 04-06-2015, 10:38 AM
HIDextra
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Got back to my truck and got it wired. That wiring kit is made out of very nice materials. It made wiring the light as simple as possible. Only took about 15 minutes to install the harness.

I had to replace the ring terminals with smaller ones when I connected the positive and negative leads, as well as adding about a foot of wire to the ground wire. The ground can't be hooked directly to the battery on a modern truck if you want the battery condition monitoring system to work correctly.

On the other end the switch needs about 3 more feet of wire to reach the dash. I left it under the hood for now because I didn't have all the same wire colors on hand.

Pictures...I don't know how folks are getting such good night pictures. I could see the light in the view finder but when I downloaded them this morning they were all black. I had the truck pointing into a field, hoping to show the distance. I'll try again in couple of days with the truck pointing at something it can illuminate.

The light is very bright and goes out about 75 yards. It isn't any wider than the narrow pattern made by my factory HID headlights. My mounting point behind the grill does lessen the amount of light a little bit, for maximum light it should be put out front of the grill. It will be a nice benefit on back roads at night, but I still need to add something to light up the critters on the sides of the roads.

Overall, this light rocks
These are great feedbacks! I will pass this along to our team about the wire lengths considering you guys have big trucks. Hopefully we can see some of the light spread and distant pictures of the light being on. Might have to find a super dark corn field or something but we can't wait to see your final work!! Thanks again.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
I'll try taking pics again tomorrow night, I'm out on the road right now. I'll do it with some things in front of the truck like another truck or some buildings. Hopefully the objects will make the pictures come out better. I'll also try doing some more manual settings on the camera to see if I can get some better pics.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master

Factory HID low beams only

Factory HID high beams only

HIDextra 42" LED behind the grill without the headlights

Ok, got some decent pics last night, not the greatest but they do show a difference. The output is much brighter than the high beams. Like I said before, it is even a bit brighter if you don't mount it behind the grill like I did.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:30 AM
HIDextra
Former Vendor
How far away would you say the truck is from the house? Great pictures by the way! I wish I can install one on my jeep cherokee. CHP would hate me. haha

Old 04-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
I think that distance is about 40 or 50 yards. The light does shine out farther than that.

I still need to replace the factory fog lights with something that will shine out wide. It doesn't need the same range as the 42" light bar. The problem is that I can't see the road on tight corners up in the mountains. There aren't any street lights and the corners can get pretty tight. Got any suggestions?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:21 PM
big-head
Senior User
Relay

Got home and my light was waiting. I just hooked it up for a test shine and it will only come on if I "tap" on the relay. I unplugged the relay and plugged it back in and the same thing , it has to be tapped to make the light come on and when it does its only for a second. I need you to send me another relay.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 AM
HIDextra
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by big-head
Got home and my light was waiting. I just hooked it up for a test shine and it will only come on if I "tap" on the relay. I unplugged the relay and plugged it back in and the same thing , it has to be tapped to make the light come on and when it does its only for a second. I need you to send me another relay.
so its the wire. Okay we will ship out a new wire harness. Hopefully it isn't the light. Sorry about that!

Quick Reply: HIDextra LED Light Bars and HID kits