let's try this alcohol thing again

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last time I read a tech article on a full-alky build was for a T-bucket roadster. It had the compression ratio built to 8 to 1, but was running ten pounds of constant boost from a blower,

One type of lines that you might want to consider are teflon lined hoses. They tend to hold up a lot longer than standard rubber, especially in hydraulic systems. I think it would be impervious to damage from alcohol, I suppose an industrial hose and tube supplier would have that information.

~Wolf

Old 05-05-2005, 10:15 AM
fplorer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted by 92bigbronco "The compression of the air/fuel mixture creates heat. As the piston reaches TDC, the autoignition temp of the diesel is reached...thus igniting the fuel and forcing the piston back down. If you'd like, I can numerically analyze a diesel cycle here and compare the efficiency to an Otto cycle. Just let me know."

There is not an air fuel mixture being compressed in a Diesel engine. The fuel is not introduced until it is time for ignition to take place. The ignition event is timed by the injection pump or the electronic or mechanical injectors depending on what engine you have.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 PM
TheFrog
Senior User
a side note on aluminum

Originally Posted by old farmer
Lectrocuted: You are right. Aluminum does reject more heat to the air than iron. If all the fancy heda you see in performance parts catalogues were iron instead of the aluminum they are, they would increase power even more by keeping the heat in the combustion chamber to do more work. The reason they are aluminum is for weight and cost savings, not to make more power.
Thats not entirely true.
To the best of my knowledge (in other words I may be wrong) aluminum is not cheaper.
Aluminum is used for wieght and anti-nock qualities. Aluminum rejects more heat, therefor allowing fo ma higher compression without preignition. On 87 octane a iron block w/ iron heads can do 8:1 compression (estimate), w/aluminum heads about 9.5:1, with aluminum block & aluminum heads approx. 10.5-11:1.

Yes, aluminum loses power due to released heat but it gains more than is lost by allowing high compression

Old 05-13-2005, 08:56 PM
TheFrog
Senior User
Now, back on topic, I (in my personal, if useless, opinion) do not believe that hydrogen will replace alcohol in cars, because of storage. To convert every car to hydrogen would cost millions, maybe billions, but it would only amount to a fraction of the cost of convertion the gas stations, transport systems and production systems to hydrogen.

For alcohol, cars are cheaper to convert, emmisions are similar (because when burning the air in our atmosphere hydrogen produces N2O (nitrus oxide), or smog; ethanol does also, but makes less and also gives off hydrocarbon emmisions), and can be sold form any existing gas station.

As for the pistion engine, its primary (or current, however you wish to word it) flaw is metal on metal contact (piston on engine block) with so little lubrication, I have no idea how to fix that, but someone could make a lot of money doing so (any ideas, I'll start a new thread). But, currently there is no better option (I know many will disagree, but to stay on topic that too can go to the next tread "engine design").

Also, ethanol give you the joy of being in the church ladies gossip by having a still in your back yard, isn't that fun.