Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Posi/limited slip 95 f250

Old 03-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by MI02SVT

This is from the trutrac manual I don't see anything about 3.5 times
Oh come on. You edited this. A couple minutes ago it said that you didn't see anything about the tire in the air either. And yes, it doesn't say anything about the 3.5 times, I read that somewhere else a while ago (which is why I qualified it with "I believe..." in my earlier post). And as you must have since noticed, the page you pasted does say "Note: TrueTrac differentials require a certain amount of resistance at the ground in order to start the power transfer." That's why it doesn't work with one tire in the air.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:18 PM
MI02SVT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
You're wrong though. If you get on the gas in a corner a Detroit is unlocked (because you are turning) so it only gives torque to the tire that's turning the slowest, which is the inside tire. Since that tire also tends to be unweighted by the inertia of the truck making it lean to the outside it's pretty easy to overpower the amount of traction that one tire has. In that case you will spin the inside tire and when it catches up to the outside tire the Detroit will lock and drive both tires. So if you get on it enough you will chirp it, but if you don't overpower the one wheel drive it will stay unlocked under power.
Do you own a Detroit locker if so mine must be broken

Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 PM
MI02SVT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Oh come on. You edited this. A couple minutes ago it said that you didn't see anything about the tire in the air either. And yes, it doesn't say anything about the 3.5 times, I read that somewhere else a while ago (which is why I qualified it with "I believe..." in my earlier post). And as you must have since noticed, the page you pasted does say "Note: TrueTrac differentials require a certain amount of resistance at the ground in order to start the power transfer." That's why it doesn't work with one tire in the air.
Are you saying I edited the picture I can gladly get the link for the whole pdf and you can download and view it yourself

And yes I did edit the wording in my post because at first I didn't see it say about the tire in the air you were right about that

Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blue924.9
just noticed your updated signature, ironic 460, 4.10s 37s and a sig pic with the fuel nozzle shoved in the tank
Haha, single digits around town my friend. One day, a 6bt....

Old 03-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Do you own a Detroit locker if so mine must be broken
I had a Detroit in my CJ5 for about 16 years and another in my Bronco for the past 8 years. I also had a Lock Right in an F-150 for about 9 years. All three functioned like I'm saying.

One thing that was helpful to me was finding a display at a 4WD shop that had a Detroit you could grab and turn and see what was happening. It uses dog clutches to drive the two sides with ramps to disengage it when one side was trying to overrun (the freewheeling the Eaton web site talks about). It's complicated to explain, but remarkably simple in operation. The Lock Right was even simpler (which is why it's so much cheaper), but still used dog clutches. Both designs will disengage any time one tire tries to overrun.

I have heard that Detroits can fail to disengage if the axle housing is bent (the axle shafts pulling on it in that way must keep things from moving freely).

One thing you can do to check this operation is jack up one tire, put the trans in neutral, twist the drive shaft and try to turn the tire that's in the air (be safe!). Since one tire is on the ground you won't be able to actually turn the driveshaft (the locker will transmit the torque to the tire that's on the ground), but to have completely predictable response it's helpful to load the slop out of the dog clutches. If you do this and twist the driveshaft in the forward direction you won't be able to turn the other tire backward (the tire that's in the air), but it will turn forward pretty easily, probably with audible clicks from the diff. If you twist the 'shaft backward it's the opposite.

By the way, as I noted earlier, even if the Detroit is operating correctly it's possible (even likely in some situations) that you will always spin the inside tire when powering around corners. But that happens because the inside tire can't support all of the torque you are putting to it so it spins faster until the Detroit re-locks and then continues to spin while the Detroit drives both tires (which hopefully can drive you ahead, otherwise both will spin). This is why lockers aren't a good idea for towing where a lot of traction is required but you don't have a lot of weight on the rear axle.

Are you saying I edited the picture I can gladly get the link for the whole pdf and you can download and view it yourself

And yes I did edit the wording in my post because at first I didn't see it say about the tire in the air you were right about that
No, I wasn't saying you edited the picture, it was the wording below it. Sorry I wasn't clear. I had read both of your posts, after responding to the first I went to respond to the second and it was changed.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:56 AM
87thhunter
Senior User
Not to bring up a old thread of mine, but wanted to say THANKS for all the help been almost a year since i installed it, still works great and i never went back to check anything, never had it re-shimmed.
Reused old bearings and everything else and worked great no noticeable howl!