6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Front replacement bumper...starting to look at options

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:15 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Front replacement bumper...starting to look at options

I guess I'm bored again. But, then that's nothing new when it comes to me and vehicles.

I have a front receiver mounted on my truck currently, it is the Curt, which in my opinion sets a little too low to the ground. However it does provide great lower front end protection to coolers and such behind it also.

I also have a Ranch Hand front grill guard mounted up front. It is attached to both the bumper bolts as well as to the lower frame for additional support in the event that something does need to be deflected in a collision, be it another vehicle or animal.

The Curt receiver exits just below the lowest cross member of the Ranch Hand meaning that I could use a winch mounted in a cradle, but it would also require using a receiver extension due to the distance back to the receiver pin location.

So I am finding myself once again looking at winch bumper options, but I am not only cheap but finicky when it comes to look and design of the bumper. I also tend to go astray of the crowd when adding aftermarket items to my truck in wanting fit and function but not what every other truck on the road is wearing.

I do like the feature of having a front receiver hitch due to versatility uses it offers. I like the idea of the bumper being designed to hold a winch rather than using a receiver mounted winch cradle where lifting to mount the winch could be a back breaking ordeal. Not to mention you would need to know you are going to need the winch before you leave home without it. Of course a winch mounted in a portable winch cradle does allow for use front and rear of the truck if you take the time to run proper wiring to the rear of the truck.

I am currently looking at the Body Armor front winch bumper. It has a nice design that blends in with the front façade of the truck, however it does not offer a front receiver, nor a grill guard. Here is a link to Amazon showing the bumper:
Amazon.com: Body Armor 4x4 FD-19335 Black - Steel Front Winch Bumper for 2011-2013 Ford Super Duty: Automotive Amazon.com: Body Armor 4x4 FD-19335 Black - Steel Front Winch Bumper for 2011-2013 Ford Super Duty: Automotive

I have found it for less on another site, but awaiting shipping cost so I can compare prices as delivered.

What are your thoughts on the entire matter. What replacement choice did you go with and at what cost if you don't mind sharing.

And of course photos are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Here is a photo of my current front end setup. If you look under the lower round cross bar of the Ranch Hand grille guard you will notice a square step/bumper, this is where the receiver hitch exits.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
I just put a front hitch on my dually yesterday. I too am torn as what to do as I want a winch too. Been looking at the Westin HDX winch mount grille guard for mine. Love it

Old 02-22-2015, 10:23 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
What receiver hitch did you put on your truck?

I went over to the Road Armor web site, wow they have a few really nice choices. Plus they are located in Dallas just up the road from me.

Road Armor®

Old 02-22-2015, 04:18 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
I put on a Draw-Tite. Just 4 bolts and a 9k pound pull rating. By the way, thank you for posting a pic of a white truck with a black guard on it like that! I have been looking at RanchHand, Frontier-Gear and Tough Country guards. Here is a link to my hitch. It sits a little higher than the Curt does I think, maybe not though.Front Hitch by Draw-Tite for 2013 F-250 and F-350 Super Duty - 65049

And here it is on the truck.

I REALLY wish there was a good alternative as I want to keep the stock bumper and add a winch to a grille guard.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:27 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Here is a link to the Tough Country bumper replacement that looks like the Road Armor you showed, but with a grille guard and winch ready.
Evolution Front Bumper

Here is a link to Frontier-Gear. Frontier Truck Gear | Bumpers and Accessories for Ford, GMC, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota Trucks and SUVs.

Take a look and see what you think.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:57 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
I have owned one of the Frontier Extreme front bumper replacements in the past. They are a good quality product, fit and finish to near perfection. It was a bit lighter material than what a full blow Ranch Hand bumper was at that time. However now even Ranch Hand produces an entry lighter material bumper that is more price friendly.

Problem is, like you I like the look of the chrome factory bumper. The Ranch Hand grille guard adds just enough black to give some contrast to the bling of the bright bumper and Ford grill.

I did find out that my son has a contact at Road Armor, he is going to give them a call tomorrow see what he can do for me.

ON EDIT: It looks like your Draw Tite front receive comes though at the exact same position as my Curt. You did a much better job of cutting out your square hole in the lower air dam than I managed.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:01 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Here is a larger photo of the truck with a better view of how the black grille guard looks on the white/gold paint combination.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Cajunboxer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
What receiver hitch did you put on your truck?

I went over to the Road Armor web site, wow they have a few really nice choices. Plus they are located in Dallas just up the road from me.

Road Armor®

Here are a few pics of my trucks with Road Armor bumpers

2015 F250

2015 F250

2015 F250

2015 F250

2013 F350

2013 F350

2013 F350

I have a Warn 12K winch installed...

If you have any questions just ask.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
WOW!!!! Beautiful, flat Beautiful!!!! And the Dually photo is perfect, of course I partial to the big hips of the DRW Trucks. Thank you for the photos.

I am curious, what size tires are you running on that Dually? And how much lift?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Cajunboxer
Senior User
WOW!!!! Beautiful, flat Beautiful!!!! And the Dually photo is perfect, of course I partial to the big hips of the DRW Trucks. Thank you for the photos.

I am curious, what size tires are you running on that Dually? And how much lift?
35x12.50x17 2.5" ready lift

Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
I know they're indestructible, but I've never been a big fan of the aftermarket bumper offerings. I don't care for the flimsiness of the stocke bumpers much either, but it's a trade off I guess. If I ever put a winch on the front of my rig I'll opt for the Warn hidden kit which includes a 5" bumper skirt that attaches to the stock bumper then coat the entire bumper/skirt with line-x to make it look seamless. This would add a much needed step for working under the hood which I like.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
Here is the full replacement Ranch Hand, they also have the winch option, it is where the lisc plate is at.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:27 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Ranch Hand w front mounted hitch and winch ( I have a Warn PowerPlant 12k and that is a BIG winch).

Old 02-23-2015, 05:46 PM
lwk362393
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I do like the feature of having a front receiver hitch due to versatility uses it offers. I like the idea of the bumper being designed to hold a winch rather than using a receiver mounted winch cradle where lifting to mount the winch could be a back breaking ordeal. Not to mention you would need to know you are going to need the winch before you leave home without it. Of course a winch mounted in a portable winch cradle does allow for use front and rear of the truck if you take the time to run proper wiring to the rear of the truck.
I'm totally in to the full Ranch Hand replacement bumpers (I really want one!), but if you already have the hitch upfront why not make it easy and just get a winch and a cradle, plus save a lot of money?

Quick Reply: Front replacement bumper...starting to look at options