Sponsored by:

Burning oil through PCV system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:51 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Burning oil through PCV system?

I always smell oil burning when I drive my Ex.

I don't have leaky valve covers and I don't have a lot of oil on the side of the engine.

What I did notice was there was a lot of oil in the intake tract. It's coming from the tube on the left side of the engine where it connects the driver's side valve cover to the intake tube before the throttle body.

What would cause this?

My PCV valve is clean and flows one way as it should. The plunger inside moves freely.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed a bit of oil around mine as well. I swapped it out for a new one from rock auto and cleaned the valve cover off really well. The new one didn't seem to fit as tight, but I haven't seen any more oil around it. I think that was where I was getting some of my oil consumption, but not 100% on it. I gained about 1mpg, but I also switched oil at that time, which may or may not be a factor.

Mine seemed fine when I pulled it out, the weight and stuff moved freely. Didn't seem like anything was wrong with it.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Duplicate post, sorry.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:29 PM
mr.noodi
Senior User
Mine also have oil around pcv area and inside the intake also on the air filter . �� I replaced the pcv 3 times but no didn't fix it . And I have always have exhaust smile inside the truck .

Old 02-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the oil level dropping and you're actually burning oil, or is it primarily the smell? The doghouse is a notoriously poor design for our rigs and Clay offers a CCV reroute kit that allows you to vent to atmosphere instead of recirculating into the intake. I always have a puddle of oil in my intake tract whenever I pull the filter for other maintenance or upgrades. You can make your own reroute quite cheap, a lot of people add a catch can to it so the vapors and oil droplets aren't just purged onto the ground.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Welp, I'm burning it.

Oil Pressure gauge dropped to 0 and I pulled over, luckily right at a Wal*Mart. Dip Stick was bone dry, had to top up. Ended up taking a whole 5 quart jug.

I've only put about 2500 miles on it to. You'd think if I were burning it at that rate, I'd be putting out a spy hunter looking smoke screen. But no, no heavy smoke. And the plugs didn't look black either.
I'll run it some more see how long it takes to get down again.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a thought...if you're pulling it through the PCV, it could be due to the splash shield coming loose in the cam cover. I had mine fall off last winter and it made a terrible noise. Since yours isn't noisy, it could be loose and allow oil to pull past it.

Here's my thread if you're interested... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...found-v10.html

Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Or, take a look at your turbocharger? I lost two quarts in under 200 miles out the exhaust. Seems you'd need an awful lot of blow by to lose that much oil out the CCV. Like rebuild your engine with that much blow by.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:56 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Or, take a look at your turbocharger? I lost two quarts in under 200 miles out the exhaust. Seems you'd need an awful lot of blow by to lose that much oil out the CCV. Like rebuild your engine with that much blow by.
He will be looking for days before he finds out he doesn't have one, that's not nice

Old 06-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Originally Posted by IMASAP
He will be looking for days before he finds out he doesn't have one, that's not nice
Yep. I've got spark plugs. Ten of them. No turbocharger.

Son as I sell my pickup, I'm gonna delete four cylinders and all spark plugs.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
What kinda of oil are you using? When I first got my Ex, it was using oil quite a bit. Found out the PO used cheap oil. I've put better stuff in there, and oil use went way down.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:10 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge

Haha........ this is what happens when you have squinty eyes.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
What kinda of oil are you using? When I first got my Ex, it was using oil quite a bit. Found out the PO used cheap oil. I've put better stuff in there, and oil use went way down.
My go-to oil in everything is Castrol GTX or Chevron Delo400. I used Castrol GTX 5w20 as specified on the cap. I know I used more than 5 quarts when I filled it.

Once I discover an engine is burning/leaking as much oil as this, I switch up to Wal*Mart SuperTech 20w50 until I fix the problem.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
How long did it take between the last time you checked the oil and you ran out of oil?

Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
How long did it take between the last time you checked the oil and you ran out of oil?
I changed the oil at just shy of 215K and it's sitting at a little over 217K now.
5 quarts in around 2500 miles.

I might have underfilled it when I first changed it because I only had a new 5 quart jug and another quart and a half laying around. But I was between the upper and lower marks on the dip stick.

I'd expect my exhaust to be a thick blue haze at this rate.

Quick Reply: Burning oil through PCV system?