Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2000 Explorer Dies When Shifted Into Reverse?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 PM
ACDumpit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Explorer Dies When Shifted Into Reverse?

Hey, all,

I have tried to search through several threads, but it is difficult for me to find an answer to my issue. I have read through several pages of the thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...lick-here.html, however, i do not have enough time (or patience) to continue reading each page. The search function has not helped me much, either, but that could just be an ID10T operator issue. So, here's what's got me stumped.

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4, powered by the 4.0L SOHC V6 engine, with a 5R55E transmission. It now has this issue of stalling and dying when shifted from park to reverse. This can be prevented by applying the gas immediately after shifting, however, my wife cannot do this. (she is very temperamental, and doesn't remember that this issue occurs decently often now, so if it happens once, she bites my head off because I haven't fixed this issue yet) I do not see this as the valve body issue, because the tranny shifts fine, and I have engine braking ability, still. Any suggestions or ideas as to what causes this, and what I can do to fix it?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Low transmission fluid can cause this, as can internal leakage or a worn pump.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:50 AM
ACDumpit
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Low transmission fluid can cause this, as can internal leakage or a worn pump.
Thanks. I've checked the trans fluid before, and it looked fine, but I'll check it again. And, just for verification, what do you mean by internal leakage and/or a worn pump? I've read before about a trans oil pick pickup tube that came loose/failed, causing the same issues I'm having now, but that was for a different tranny model (I believe ie was a E40D or something like that), could something like that also happen with the 5R55E?

Old 02-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
There are many seals in an automatic transmission. If one or more wears it will leak pressure. Low pressure will cause the torque converter clutch to apply when it should not, and this will first appear in reverse since reverse has the highest pressure demand. If the pump in the transmission is worn it won't produce the proper pressure and that will also cause this.

If the internal filter has fallen off that can also cause a problem. That can only happen if the wrong filter is installed or if it wasn't installed correctly.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:31 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Is there a pattern to when it will do this, such as only after sitting overnight, only when the outdoor temperature is below some temperature, etc.? If you shift past reverse to drive will it still do this, or is it basically as soon as you shift out of Park?

How old is the battery?

-Rod

Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM
ACDumpit
New User
Originally Posted by shorod
Is there a pattern to when it will do this, such as only after sitting overnight, only when the outdoor temperature is below some temperature, etc.? If you shift past reverse to drive will it still do this, or is it basically as soon as you shift out of Park?

How old is the battery?

-Rod
Basically, Rod, it only happens when I shift out of park and straight to reverse, mostly in the mornings, and when I'm on an incline/decline. (my apartment parking space is a slight incline, and it's stalled out on a decline a few times, as well) I was told it seldom did this when my father-in-law acquired the car a few years ago, but it has definitely become more frequent. I know the battery isn't very old, maybe a couple years old. It's still good, although that may have changed. (While I doubt this has a huge effect on the battery, I killed the battery on accident the other week and she told me that the battery in the last Explorer she had was short lived because she, too, left the lights on)

I checked my transmission fluid level the other day, and it looked like it was low. Hopefully this is the only thing causing the issue, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty and learning something new about cars and repairing them.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:50 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but discharging a battery can decrease the amount of capacity that will be recovered when recharged, and that gets even worse if it was cold when the battery was discharged.

Since you've confirmed the transmission fluid level is low, and assuming you're checking that when the vehicle is level, start by getting that to the correct level as that's something that needs to be remedied anyway. With any luck, that will take care of the issue.

-Rod