Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2015+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Question of the Week: What would you change about the new F150 Raptor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Freshman User

Patrick R. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question of the Week: What would you change about the new F150 Raptor?

For our Question of the Week, we want to know what you would change about the new Raptor.

If you were to change any one thing about the 2017 Ford F150 Raptor, what would it be?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:03 PM
New User

Chad Kirchner is starting off with a positive reputation.
I predict every answer will be "Replace the EcoBoost with a V8." Guar-un-teed.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:47 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I wouldn't replace the ecoboost with the V-8 but I'd make the V-8 standard and the EB an optional engine.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 02-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Posting Guru

tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.
Keep the Ecoboost, but put it on an 8-cylinder motor (or make that an option). An EcoBoost V8 would be a really cool replacement for the 6.2.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Posting Guru

QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.
First the V8 guys said a V6 couldn't possibly make the power. And then the Ecoboost ends up making more power than the V8. And the Ecoboost short block ends up being beefier than the 6.2L short block.

Then the V8 guys said it was too small to be reliable. And it ends up being the #1 selling engine in the #1 selling vehicle in North America, Ford goes off and wins 24 Hours at Daytona, and a tiny 2.7L variant is developed.

Now the V8 guys want to associate themselves with Ecoboost. They keep creating imaginary adulterated "Ecoboost" engines at 5 liter and larger. The anti-Ecoboost arguments started with ignorance and fear and have now gone to LaLa land with engines that will never exist.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
I would change it to the "doesn't even exist anymore" category, and spend the time and money on a new truck with a solid front axle, like an Excursion or Bronco XL.

I'm all jacked up on America right now! Anyone want to hear me recite the Constitution?
Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Non Compus Mentis

RigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputation
Mitch Thornhill RigTrash601
How about an Eco-Boost V8? That would be my vote, as it's already a higher priced low volume specialty model, go a little nuts with it!
I mean most folks purchasing one isn't in the market for fuel economy.
2014 F250 6.7L PSD,Platinum 4x4, White, Pecan Leather, FX4 package. H&S, S&B, 4" Flo-Pro Full Delete. 4" - 4 Link BDS Lift Fox 2.0 Shocks / Dual Steering Stabilizer Fuel Rampage 20x10 w / 35x12.5x20 Toyo MT'sRIP Charles Glen Thornhill Sr. Feb. 07 1943 / Oct. 25 2014.... I Miss You Pop!
Old 02-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Non Compus Mentis

RigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputation
Mitch Thornhill RigTrash601
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkTrip View Post
First the V8 guys said a V6 couldn't possibly make the power. And then the Ecoboost ends up making more power than the V8. And the Ecoboost short block ends up being beefier than the 6.2L short block.

Then the V8 guys said it was too small to be reliable. And it ends up being the #1 selling engine in the #1 selling vehicle in North America, Ford goes off and wins 24 Hours at Daytona, and a tiny 2.7L variant is developed.

Now the V8 guys want to associate themselves with Ecoboost. They keep creating imaginary adulterated "Ecoboost" engines at 5 liter and larger. The anti-Ecoboost arguments started with ignorance and fear and have now gone to LaLa land with engines that will never exist.
I actually love the EB, but can you imagine a twin turbo 5.0? If you're gonna dream, dream big! Anything worth doing is worth over doing!
2014 F250 6.7L PSD,Platinum 4x4, White, Pecan Leather, FX4 package. H&S, S&B, 4" Flo-Pro Full Delete. 4" - 4 Link BDS Lift Fox 2.0 Shocks / Dual Steering Stabilizer Fuel Rampage 20x10 w / 35x12.5x20 Toyo MT'sRIP Charles Glen Thornhill Sr. Feb. 07 1943 / Oct. 25 2014.... I Miss You Pop!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Posting Guru

tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:

Don't confuse my statements with anti-Ecoboost sentiment. I would gladly own any of the EB motors - all would be a big improvement over my current '09 5.4. But, if you're going to make a big off-road monster, where most owners aren't seriously concerned about fuel economy anyway... may as well slap a big motor in there too.

A twin-turbo 5.0 (or even just a factory supercharged 5.0) would be a highly sought-after motor for buyers at this price point, IMO.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Senior User

Ddaybc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I love the sound of a V8 so I would change the ecoboost 3.5L V6 to a 3.5L V8 ecoboost. I don't know the reasons for developing a V6 verses a V8. Probably something to do with cost but I would definitely prefer a small V8 to the same size V6.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Posting Guru

QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.
A 3.5L v8 won't make much torque and would be a terrible marriage to a heavy truck. Believe me, you would prefer the v6.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:45 PM
Posting Guru

640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
A 3.5L v8 won't make much torque and would be a terrible marriage to a heavy truck. Believe me, you would prefer the v6.
A 3.5L Twin Turbo V8 would likely make more torque than a 3.5L Twin Turbo V6. From a mileage perspective I think it would likely get slimier mileage to a similarly designed/tuned V6.

With that said, I'm on board for an Ecoboost V8, in both the new Raptor and Regular Joe F-150's. I was never totally against the Ecoboost in it's current form, Granted I am one those ''V8 guys'' I respect the Ecoboost for it's power and the technology it brings to the truck world, but quiet frankly, I just prefer V8's to V6's and on amount of turbo's is gonna change that for me.

Now that the initial design has proven reliable I think it's about time for an Ecoboost V8, even if it's a low volume engine as the 6.2L was upon it's initial release in the F-150's.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Postmaster

seventyseven250 is a splendid one to beholdseventyseven250 is a splendid one to beholdseventyseven250 is a splendid one to beholdseventyseven250 is a splendid one to beholdseventyseven250 is a splendid one to beholdseventyseven250 is a splendid one to beholdseventyseven250 is a splendid one to behold
I'm a huge ecoboost supporter now that I own one, and I don't think an EcoBoost V* really has any need, but . . .
I think it's an awesome idea. Make it a really expensive option, like $5000, which will keep the volume low enough not to fudge up the CAFE too bad, but it'll kind of create a "halo truck" concept. Put it in the Raptor plus sell it in RCSB as a sport truck, and in longer wheelbase as a tow monster. Probably can't up-rate the SAE tow ratings too far, unless you rework the brakes and suspension.

I wouldn't buy one, but I know there are guys who would, and it would be an awesome truck to have in the fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd View Post
Holy hell, its not even 9am and you folks are gonna drive me to drink....
Old 02-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Posting Guru

Considering the number of people moving to gas-burners in the Super Duty thanks to the up-front cost, on-going higher fuel costs, and potentially extreme maintenance costs of the PSD, I'm surprised Ford hasn't put together some sort of forced-induction V8 already. It would be a great tow pig in the SD line, a top-end motor for the 150s (Limited/Plat/Raptor), and, if it would fit under the hood, a very interesting motor in the Mustang.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD View Post
A 3.5L Twin Turbo V8 would likely make more torque than a 3.5L Twin Turbo V6.
Okay, let's hear this explanation..... You explain why the small v8 has a better torque curve for a full size truck.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 AM