2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Question of the Week: What would you change about the new F150 Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 AM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure would be fun to row your own gears in a beast like that. Unrealistic... but the Raptor is not meant to be realistic really.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
The Raptor is completely realistic if owning a Baja style truck is your thing. It's not a work truck nor is it meant to be. To me in my life the Raptor is a total waste of money but I think it's cool as hell that Ford is building a real off roader with a nice aftermarket to boot.

Plus, the Raptor is kind of a proving ground for new gizmos. Let the folks who buy the Raptor trucks pay for the R&D and watch these goodies make their way into the rest of the line up.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Shay Trask
New User
Going above and beyond

I agree with many that a 5.0 ecoboost would be awesome!!! Especially when putting that not only in the raptor, but a Mustang GT500 and the Ford GT! If done right it would make little talk of the Hellcat and the new Z06.

For the raptor I would like to see flip out boards as it is a big truck and they are so easy to use once you get used to them! Also it would give you better ground clearance when off-road.

Sidenote: I wish they would have done an ATLAS edition above the Platinum. A luxury truck that is just a little beefier than the typical. Leveling kit and bigger tires being the two main changes but still keeping it less of an off-road junky and more for the everyday commuter who wants an aggressive look.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:59 PM
avomcd
New User
v8 option

eco v8 or supercharged v8 an option. Even in an fx4 or raptor I think it should be an option. Chevy has a 6.2 v8 making 460 ft pound of torque in a regular truck.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:40 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I'd like to see the Torque on Demand transfer case eliminated and stick with a plain old transfer case that the driver controls. A manual t-case would be a bigger plus.

And ditch the IWE setup and go with front end that stays locked in all the time.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 PM
kyle771
New User
I think they should have an optional manual transition

Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Ditch torque on demand T-case and just give us a standard t-case manual or electric doesn't matter. V8 option (forced induction preferred turbo or supercharged). Since its mainly a dedicated off-road rig (but ends up being a Mall Crawler) might as well have racing seats with 5 point harness, standard 3 points don't do well for off-road. Would like an optional snorkel.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Joeskidoo
New User
V8

There is no replacement for displacement, to build big power and torque you need CI.... Same as the new GT, everyone wants to modify, therefore you need the cubic inches!

Old 02-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Ford has always had one problem...lack of aftermarket support. GM and MOPAR have a huge aftermarket support and usually cost a lot less than for the same mods for a Ford engine.

No replacement for displacement from what I have always heard was larger engines accept more power easier and safer than smaller engines. Which is still true if there is an aftermarket support for it. The Ford GT went with a modified EcoBoost because of a rule change from LeMans. I already posted the new rules in the EcoBoost section, but the state no Forced Induction Engines more than 4.0L (4000cc) and no naturally aspirated engines over 5.5L (5500cc). Yeah you can make a bit of power with a N/A engine...Ferrari has been doing it for years!

I guess Ford could have made 2 versions, the one for the public with a 5.2 V8 supercharged and the EcoBoost for LeMans.

Getting back on the topic at hand, I think the new Raptor should be brought out in a similar modified version they used in the trials at Baja, except with the newer truck design and the 10 speed auto. I know they used the 2.7L EcoBoost in that one to prove a point so I guess that could be an optional choice for it as well as the 3.5L and 5.0L engines. Doubtful they could legally run the trucks without windshields and what not but long as its close enough is all that matters.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Ancona
Senior User
1.) Offer a V-8 option
2.) Offer a single cab option
3.) Offer a manual transmission option
4.) Increase payload capacity

Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 PM
delford.b47
New User
I've been impressed with V6 engines since I bought a 1987 Acura Legend for my daughter in 2001. It was 2.5L w/24 valves and got great mileage and was a screamer. It's great to see Ford developing new high tech engines whose output and torque match a small block V8. Rather than further modify current V8 technology I'd like to see a new generation EB V8 with torque and output proportional to the success of the 2.7L EB V6. That could replace not just the 5.0 Coyotes but the 5.4 Tritons.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Okay, let's hear this explanation..... You explain why the small v8 has a better torque curve for a full size truck.
Sorry bout the delayed response been busy and all.

Does it not stand to reason that given two engine's of similar or equal displacement with essentially all the same technology / performance equipment baked into them, one being a V6 and the other being a V8 that the 8 cylinder will make more power?

I didn't state anything on torque curve's in particular, as that would vary depending on how the engine itself has been designed and tuned, and has little to do with cylinder count. Just initial output.

But the argument of V6 vs V8 is moot. Some people love the EB V6, some want to see an EB styled small block V8, which would be the perfect engine for the Raptor here right? I mean lets look at the facts,

The 3.5L Ecoboost make's slightly less horsepower, but substantially more torque across a broader spectrum of the tachometer than the N/A 5.0L Coyote V8. If Ford REALLY wanted to, they could slap a couple of turbo's on and Direct Inject the Coyote 5.0L and with a bit of tweaking and tuning, it would make much higher numbers both horsepower and torque than the 3.5L Ecoboost across the same broad RPM band.

Seeing as the Raptor is a ''Special'' addition truck, then why not? Why not put a special engine it?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
I was reading an article in a C&D mag at the barbershop and it featured the new Raptor. According to the article, the front clip will be all composite, it will have a longer suspension travel and the frame has been enhanced from the first gen models and will be more robust than a normal F-150. Ford reportedly still managed to shave 500 lbs from the truck.

Now having mentioned all this, it occurred to me that an ecoboost 5.0L would likely be as heavy or heavier than the 6.2L which was about 125 lbs heavier than the 3.5L. The 3.5L ecoboost weighs about what a 5.0L weighs making the bottom end much beefier than the V-8.

The new Raptor is coming standard with true dual exhaust from the header pipes as the tiny little EB will crank out between 450-500 HP.

So yes, the V-8 would be a nice option but after reading the article, I have to ask. Why?. Is it just about the noise? Really?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Camulos
New User
If i could change one thing about the new Raptor it would be to take its grill and put it on my truck....... I love that thing.

Hopefully they will release a part number for it soon so i can order one.

Maybe put some more aggressive bumpers/guards with a warn winch stock.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:35 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
So yes, the V-8 would be a nice option but after reading the article, I have to ask. Why?. Is it just about the noise? Really?
Not just a V8, but a twin-turbo or supercharged V8. Why? MORE POWER! (Arr arr arr arr...)

The 3.5EB will be a more than capable powerplant in the new Raptor. But you can never have too much horsepower.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: What would you change about the new F150 Raptor?