I think that should work, I re-uploaded it

Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 AM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gdhillon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KArNzI8zuu8

I think that should work, I re-uploaded it

Hmm, sounded OK to me, but I'm no expert.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:20 PM
stech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dh_meyer
Hmm, sounded OK to me, but I'm no expert.
I agree, I dont hear anything abnormal on that clip. Mine had a distinctive KNOCK when hot and also in addition a loud metallic tap sound like two wrenches hitting each other that would come on sporadically. Mine also has a Lt. tick that you can hear in the passenger side wheel well but that seems to be common with these engines. Ive heard the Lt tick in every one Ive checked, probably about 20 at least, by now. Yours sounds fine to me at least on that clip.
Go on YOUTUBE and search 5.0 knock and tick you'll hear some bad knocks and metallic tapping, on F150's and Mustangs. Then youll know what to listen for.

Here are some clips a from some mustangs and F150's witj the Coyote 5.0, In this first one you will hear the regular engine sounds and then when he starts driving back and forth you can pick up a louder metalic tap sound here and there. Mine had that along with knock.

This one is closer to mine,, tick like metal pcs hitting sporadically

There used to be some with louder knocks posted also,

Hope that helped, but again from what i hear on your clip I cant pick up the distinctive tap or knock sound.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 PM
DM2011
New User
I'm glad I found this thread...my 2011 with almost 58000 has been driving me nuts with this noise. I'm also getting the "normal" speech and the "nothing is flashing codes" crap. I have spent the last two days reading about this #4 cylinder problem ...so now hopefully I have a leg to stand on when I call them again. Thanx for the great info on this situation....Happy Holidays

Old 11-30-2015, 09:10 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DM2011
I'm glad I found this thread...my 2011 with almost 58000 has been driving me nuts with this noise. I'm also getting the "normal" speech and the "nothing is flashing codes" crap. I have spent the last two days reading about this #4 cylinder problem ...so now hopefully I have a leg to stand on when I call them again. Thanx for the great info on this situation....Happy Holidays
Welcome to the forum, DM2011. When was the last time your local Ford Dealer diagnosed this noise for you? I want to do what I can to assist.

Crystal

Old 11-30-2015, 02:57 PM
DM2011
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, DM2011. When was the last time your local Ford Dealer diagnosed this noise for you? I want to do what I can to assist.

Crystal
Thank you for the welcome Crystal. I informed them about the noise my last oil change. I feel it was blown off and not even checked. The noise is getting much worse and I have 2000 miles till I hit 60000 and want the problem resolved. Now that I know whats going on...I will inform them and see if I get the run around.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:21 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by DM2011
Thank you for the welcome Crystal. I informed them about the noise my last oil change. I feel it was blown off and not even checked. The noise is getting much worse and I have 2000 miles till I hit 60000 and want the problem resolved. Now that I know whats going on...I will inform them and see if I get the run around.
Thanks for the quick response, DM2011! If you'd like, I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager (CSM). Since you're new to the site, you may not have access to PMs yet. Send an email to custserv@ford.com with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. This email address isn't monitored, so put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line and post here once you've sent it. That's how I'll know to hunt down your message and get to work.

Crystal

Old 11-30-2015, 06:02 PM
DM2011
New User
Thanks for the quick response, DM2011! If you'd like, I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager (CSM). Since you're new to the site, you may not have access to PMs yet. Send an email to custserv@ford.com with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. This email address isn't monitored, so put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line and post here once you've sent it. That's how I'll know to hunt down your message and get to work.

Crystal
Thank you for the offer. I will be at the dealership next week, for I am out of town working this week. I will keep you updated on what happens and may take you up on your offer if nothing is done. Thank you much for your kindness and help...I've noticed you've offered to help many people on here and that is hard to find now a days and I think that's awesome....so kudos to you for taking the time. Thanx again,
Doug

Old 12-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Pitbull17
Freshman User
2011 5.0 with 87000 miles

I have a 2011 F150 with a 5.0 that has 87,000 miles on it and I have heard this same tick out of my engine. I brought it the dealer where I was originally living and they looked at with no paperwork or anything 2 different times and told me that it was normal, so I have been living with the noise for about 2 years since then. Now that I have moved 900 miles away and have put over an additional 35,000 miles on the engine, it I bring it to a dealer are they gonna tell me to replace the engine at $9,000??!!! And since the first dealer didn't write up a work order when they looked at it so technically it isn't documented, am I completely screwed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:18 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Pitbull17
I have a 2011 F150 with a 5.0 that has 87,000 miles on it and I have heard this same tick out of my engine. I brought it the dealer where I was originally living and they looked at with no paperwork or anything 2 different times and told me that it was normal, so I have been living with the noise for about 2 years since then...
Hi Pitbull17,

Your best next step will be to make an appointment at your local Ford Dealership for diagnosis; they'll be able to get you some answers regarding documentation of the ticking noise and what repairs are needed. Come back and tell us what you find out. I'll be able to jump in and help once they've inspected your truck.

Crystal

Old 12-05-2015, 01:44 PM
PattonC222
Senior User
Hello all, Crystal I sent you a PM but wanted to post also.

I am also experiencing a sound with my 5.0, more of a light ping and not a knock. But it has been doing it off and on since I've owned the truck. It's a 2011 fx4 with the 5.0 purchased with 32k on it and currently has almost 58k miles. I brought it to my local dealers attention at about 35k miles but was told they couldn't find anything/replicate the sound etc. my warranty is about to run out if it hasn't already, but since I first brought it up at 35k miles and it is in fact a known issue would it still be warrantied? I love the truck and planned on putting 200k on it as long as it holds together. An intermittent sound I can live with, if the engine is coming apart obviously I can't. Anyhow glad to hear that some are getting it resolved, any help or insight is appreciated.

And if it makes a difference the noise complaint was in the dealer notes at 35k miles, I am almost positive anyway I'm not sure where they are but I am assuming there is a record at the dealer?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by PattonC222
Hello all, Crystal I sent you a PM but wanted to post also...
Got it and sent you a reply, PattonC222; thanks for reaching out!

Crystal

Old 01-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Donniedee1
New User
2012 f150 5.0 tapping/ metallic rattle

My truck has a metallic tapping and rattling when it kicks down into low idle. Once I drive it and it warms up the rattle goes away but tap stay. It is more pronounced behind front passenger tire. I took it to a dealer near me and got the usual this is normal for this engine . Now I am bringing it back again for the same problem. It is certified preowned . I am sure I will get the same answer. Does anyone know whom else I can contact to resolve this? I am troubled to here about all the problems with these engines. I really love this truck. Besides the engine tick of course. I can't believe ford would turn a blind eye to a problem with their best selling vehicle. It's really disappointing.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Donniedee1
My truck has a metallic tapping and rattling when it kicks down into low idle. Once I drive it and it warms up the rattle goes away but tap stay. It is more pronounced behind front passenger tire. I took it to a dealer near me and got the usual this is normal for this engine . Now I am bringing it back again for the same problem. It is certified preowned . I am sure I will get the same answer. Does anyone know whom else I can contact to resolve this? I am troubled to here about all the problems with these engines. I really love this truck. Besides the engine tick of course. I can't believe ford would turn a blind eye to a problem with their best selling vehicle. It's really disappointing.
Welcome to the forum, Donniedee1. You may want to consider getting a second opinion about that sound from a different Ford Dealership. Find some local options by entering your ZIP code here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 01-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Donniedee1
New User
Welcome to the forum, Donniedee1. You may want to consider getting a second opinion about that sound from a different Ford Dealership. Find some local options by entering your ZIP code here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal
Hi Crystal, my truck has 51590 miles on it. It is ford certified though. I brought to same dealership again. Once again they told me it was normal for this truck and that mine was quieter than others on the lot. I will try another dealership because this is getting me nowhere. They can't explain how this is normal if it didn't sound like that when I bought it. Is there anything else I can do?
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Coyote Tapping/ Ticking/ Knocking