Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket speakers in 95 stock radio??

Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Jodendahl87
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket speakers in 95 stock radio??

Can I keep the original head unit but upgrade the speakers only. Trying to keep as much stock as possible.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:27 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, nothing wrong with that. Will not sound as good as a modern head unit, but better than the crappy factory paper speakers.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Jodendahl87
New User
Thanks for the info.

2 way or 3 way??? Another question I'm sorry

Old 02-19-2015, 06:37 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Doesnt matter.
Pick what you think sounds good to you.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:38 PM
MI02SVT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would be personal preference on that one whatever you want

Old 02-19-2015, 09:36 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sure but your really limiting yourself.you'll never come close to having the quality sound you would with modern technology.
example:
24-bit Resolution TI Burr-Brown 1-bit D/A Converter - JVC

i had a decent (but well dated now) pioneer cd player i installed in my '96 f150 i used to have.i transferred it to my '93 f250/chip truck (it's now in log truck temporarily lmao! hey,anythings better than oem.)
well i updated to the JVC (with usb cus who wants to keep burning disc's anymore? drag and drop some mp3's and good to go) and the quality in sound was drastically improved over the dated pioneer with the updated tech: 24-bit Resolution TI Burr-Brown.
then i installed some 4-way pioneer speakers and an amp and now it's super rich,full,dynamic,lifelike.you'll hear sounds and think it's coming from the truck and have to hit pause just to make sure! happens to me all the time.freaks me out!
ditch that 20 yr old cassette deck brother.that thing ain't doing you any good but looking silly and sounding like......it's from oem in the early 90's.
the only time you need be concerned with keeping things dated with oem is with collector cars (that in many cases was sub par even for the day.paper speakers still.seriously? you should have seen the crap i just ditched from my '98 honda car![beater/no collector lol] they would have been better off leaving the speaker holes blank and letting/making the car buyer install their own lmao!) not old '90's pickups.no one cares if it gets scrapped in the end with an oem deck or not.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:44 PM
Jodendahl87
New User
Love the classic cassette look. I understand the quality isn't there but the truck is in great shape. I have no desire to throw in a metallic neon blue deck. I'm not looking to enter a bass competition anytime soon.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would go with 2way with the stock radio, 3 or 4way need more amps and will sound high-pitched with out a amplifier. The hardest part of putting in new speakers is getting to them.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
it's far beyond bass.super crisp,clear instruments,highs,lows,mids and sounds you didn't even know were there.there's no need for neon metallic colors.in fact,the jvc i have you can select a wide array of colors to anything you fancy.even a close to oem green.
you can always keep the oem tape deck to look at when your feeling nostalgic.
you can keep your tape deck,and upgrade your quality too though.they now make amps with built in mp3 players and or bluetooth for just this trick.
you don't add an amp for volume and bass (well many do) but it increases sound quality drastically all across the spectrum even at low volume.this is why i add them.i don't want to go deaf.so with a oem deck,a set of good speakers and an amp with mp3/bluetooth/aux input for mp3 player or whatever,youd be set with some quality.id go with the 3-way over the 2-way;
http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-par...y-car-speakers

Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Jodendahl87
New User
Eh to each their own. I bought this F150 from an old couple everything is OEM I don't need anything fancy I went with just cheap speakers and the difference is drastic took a half an hour tops.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
Actually, with the extremely low power output from the factory unit, the stock speakers are likely to sound better, as long as they aren't blown. The cheap speakers you got most likely have a lower power rating. This would work out fine. I'd still consider upgrading the head unit to an inexpensive $100 Pioneer or Sony etc.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:28 AM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There are a few modern head units that don't look like a ricer. Some actually look pretty OEM like but with modern features. I actually care nothing now about CD, I want USB and Bluetooth. I stream music a lot, no library can compete with Pandora and iTunes radio.

I am still searching for the perfect one, but I despise my factory radio, especially the volume button and not being able to tune one station at a time without first hitting a separate button.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:37 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't like fancy flashy headunits either, the ones that have an animated background, extra display elements that do nothing, or accent lighting that serves no other purpose other than to show off.

But there's decks out there that don't do all that and still have a lot of functionality and good sound! Take a look around, you might be surprised. And I agree with the others that are suggesting you ditch the factory deck, it really does suck compared to all but the cheapest aftermarket units like the ones Walmart has for $50 or so.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:43 AM
aj88V
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand Jodendahl87's interest in keeping the stock head unit. I half wanted to reinstall mine when I bought my truck.

A lot of collectors of classic cars will keep the stock radio in the dash just for show, but hide a real stereo unit underneath somewhere. Probably the only good use for those silly little remote control units you get with most aftermarket car radios!

I've gotten used to the (cheapo) aftermarket unit the PO put in my truck. It's small, it's functional, it has CD, USB, and 3.5mm inputs and it works. I'll keep that 1980's Ford radio for whoever owns this truck after me.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:05 AM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=FORDF250HDXLT;15104893]it's far beyond bass.super crisp,clear instruments,highs,lows,mids and sounds you didn't even know were there.there's no need for neon metallic colors.in fact,the jvc i have you can select a wide array of colors to anything you fancy.even a close to oem green.
you can always keep the oem tape deck to look at when your feeling nostalgic.
you can keep your tape deck,and upgrade your quality too though.they now make amps with built in mp3 players and or bluetooth for just this trick.

He is right. Fancy Huds don't mean ricer bass crap. I have a facncyish hud in my truck with 2 10 inch alpines behind the seat. I hate it when people want to have a bass competition on the street or something when they see the radio. most peoplet think subs are for ricer and punks, and those two groups do a good job of promoting negative attention to guys like me who add subs in a tuned closed case box because they want nice clean TIGHT bass. Not to bounce dimes off the hood and be as loud as possible. I did it for a wider hz spectrum and better music quality

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket speakers in 95 stock radio??