6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dilemma Over Adding Mag Hytec Covers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:25 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dilemma Over Adding Mag Hytec Covers...

Hello all. As the title states, I am considering adding the Mag Hytec Front/Rear Diff Covers and Mag Hytec Transmission Pan. I just bought a fiver that is about 2500 lb. over my previously owned TT. I had added the Mag Hytec pan and rear cover to my half ton. The tranny pan did lower the temp some. However, with this truck, I am not sure how much more benefit would be added by adding these products.

By rule of thumb, more fluid = better performance and lower temps. However, not in all cases. I am concerned about blowing a axle seal with the added gear fluid to the differentials. And since I am springing for the bigger covers, I would use Amsoil Fluids.

So my concerns are if these products are worth the added expense, vs. what will actually be accomplished.

I would like to get some feed back from the owners that have added the Mag Hytec Products to their trucks. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:24 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
How big is the 5er? GVW?

Wasted expense imho.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Put your money into your fuel tank or other more useful mods.

More transmission fluid will take longer to warm up and longer to cool down, but nothing about that will make it run cooler. Some hypothesize that the added surface are of the transmission pan will enhance cooling, but Mark K says Ford R&D determined that this can have a negative effect as well because air temps under the truck can be very hot when towing.

You'll not hurt your axles with the Hytec covers. The maximum oil pressure is determined by depth, not quantity. So while there will be more fluid it won't be exerting more pressure against your axle seals because the oil level will not be higher. You probably won't help anything though for the same reasons stated above.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:01 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
How big is the 5er? GVW?

Wasted expense imho.
Originally Posted by Tom
Put your money into your fuel tank or other more useful mods.
The dry weight is about 11,500 lb. and GVW is 14,500. I agree with you. Thank you.

More transmission fluid will take longer to warm up and longer to cool down, but nothing about that will make it run cooler. Some hypothesize that the added surface are of the transmission pan will enhance cooling, but Mark K says Ford R&D determined that this can have a negative effect as well because air temps under the truck can be very hot when towing.

You'll not hurt your axles with the Hytec covers. The maximum oil pressure is determined by depth, not quantity. So while there will be more fluid it won't be exerting more pressure against your axle seals because the oil level will not be higher. You probably won't help anything though for the same reasons stated above.
I figured as much. That is why I said more is not necessarily better. With regard to the diff covers, I remember reading something about not filling them to full on the cover's dip stick. But just below full because this proved to be too much gear fluid and blew the seals. Is there any truth to this? And are the covers worth the expense?
And thank you for the great info. You guys just saved me $300!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
One other issue I have as I am new to Ford and Motorcraft Products in general. Do you use the Motorcraft Fluids or any of their competitors in lieu of?

Old 02-19-2015, 07:07 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
The car companies have done a lot of testing and engineering over the years on what is needed to maintain the correct fluid temps, pressures and levels. If they felt the rear end needed finned aluminum covers they would install them. Most of the aftermarket is for looks and some cooling, etc. You can get too much cooling and increase wear by not having fluids at the correct temperature. My thoughts now days are most of the aftermarket products are not needed for performance gains as much as appearance if you are trying to impress your buddies.

Spend the money on fuel for a vacation. JMHO

Old 02-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Shogunles
I figured as much. That is why I said more is not necessarily better. With regard to the diff covers, I remember reading something about not filling them to full on the cover's dip stick. But just below full because this proved to be too much gear fluid and blew the seals. Is there any truth to this? And are the covers worth the expense?
I can't see how there could be any truth to it, pressure just doesn't work like that. I don't think they're worth the expense. Did your truck come with the factory aluminum rear cover? If not it may be worth adding. It's about $50 and my help your rear diff temps a small amount. No reason to do anything to the front, when you're in 2WD it's not even spinning.

One other issue I have as I am new to Ford and Motorcraft Products in general. Do you use the Motorcraft Fluids or any of their competitors in lieu of?
You're going to get lots of opinions on that matter. The general consensus has always seemed to be that factory lubricants are perfectly adequate. I like OEM fluids.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If I were you I would tow your trailer and see what the temps are on the transmission. My 2015 runs hotter than my 2011 did and the temp fluctuates a lot too. I drove all day yesterday through WV and my trans varied from 198°-208° in what appeared to be random cycles, it seems strange to me but it is in no way running too hot so I'm not touching it.

Likewise, you can use a temp gun and record rear diff surface temps rather easily and see what you find. My truck is yanking on trailers every day and the trans or diff never got hot (over 220°).

For cooling performance either add a bigger trans cooler than the existing and use amsoil diff fluid, or get the aluminum covers. After what I've seen and done over the years I would be very surprised if anyone could use the truck in a responsible manner and overheat the trans and diff in stock form. Seriously, I don't think it's even possible unless there is a part defect.

Now, if you want to do it because you like the way the covers look, don't look back! Do it. We all do things that are simply cosmetic and you don't have to justify it to anyone, it's your truck, it's your money. I need a truck, I don't need a black king ranch truck. If I didn't care about the way it looks I would operate perfectly fine in a truck of any color. I just like black and I refuse to ever own a truck of any other color. Just my way....

Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Blapensee
Elder User
Hello all. As the title states, I am considering adding the Mag Hytec Front/Rear Diff Covers and Mag Hytec Transmission Pan. I just bought a fiver that is about 2500 lb. over my previously owned TT. I had added the Mag Hytec pan and rear cover to my half ton. The tranny pan did lower the temp some. However, with this truck, I am not sure how much more benefit would be added by adding these products.

By rule of thumb, more fluid = better performance and lower temps. However, not in all cases. I am concerned about blowing a axle seal with the added gear fluid to the differentials. And since I am springing for the bigger covers, I would use Amsoil Fluids.

So my concerns are if these products are worth the added expense, vs. what will actually be accomplished.

I would like to get some feed back from the owners that have added the Mag Hytec Products to their trucks. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
i personally have both front and rear mag hytec covers (using amsoil fluid) and the trans pan using motorcraft . i agree more fluid may mean better performance. since i can monitor the temp of the trans i can say that no it will not lower the trans temp. it will take a little longer to get to 186*+ but it will still get there and stay there. shifting is the same. it is not worth the expense if your looking for performance IMO. i spent in the range of $1200 for the covers and fluids. the rear diff cover may be a wise choice if you tow.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
For the diffs....

I put the front one on mostly because I put an e-locker in there, which is physically bigger and therefore less space for fluid. On mine, I can't get the fluid any higher than about 1" below the add on the dipstick without it blowing out the vent which probably has more to do with the diff than the cover. I didn't do it for the looks on my beat up front axle.....

I agree with the rest, if you don't have the finned rear it may be worthwhile. The front only if you want the look.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:19 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
If they felt the rear end needed finned aluminum covers they would install them.
DRW's

Didn't bother with this truck, but did add the trans pan and diff cover on my Dmax.
I wanted the extra fluid capacity for towing. Did it help? Not sure about the trans pan, but I liked having the extra 4 quarts.

Diff cover, the Mag product has a threaded boss for a temp gauge, which I added.

Temp almost always stayed the same once warmed up, towing, not towing etc.

But, some really steep hills in PA when pulling my toy hauler I watched the diff temp climb. I don't remember the numbers, but if I had to guess it went form an average of 140 to up over 170 going up the hills. And on the downside it immediately dropped back down. 17,000+ toy hauler.

I attribute that form the huge increase in fluid capacity and the large surface area of the finned cover. Again guessing, went from a 1 quart capacity to 4 quarts.

If my DRW did not have a finned aluminum cover on it from the factory, I would put a Mag cover on the rear axle for the above reasons.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
I appreciate all the input and opinions. My plan was to run her first and see how the temps were. As I just bought it in December and have yet to tow it. I am not after looks, just performance. So I think I will leave well enough alone for now, at least.

As for the Amsoil, that is always my first choice in fluid. I am coming up on changing the diff, tranny, and transfer case fluids. So, I may go in that direction. Though a good point was made, if Ford wanted it, it would be on there. After seeing how this truck handled my TT, I completely agree with that statement.

Again, thank you Fellas for the help with this. You straightened me out!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Rattler1
Senior User
I am seriously considering adding the rear cover. I think the other 2 are definitely a waste since the trans has a cooler and the front diff doesn't do much when towing - assuming 99% of the towing is in 2wd.

Is the rear cover needed...maybe not, but the extra fluid and cooling capacity can't hurt.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
As long as the products meet ford specs, you are good to go. I'm not afraid of non ford products as long as they meet the specs.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rattler1
I am seriously considering adding the rear cover. I think the other 2 are definitely a waste since the trans has a cooler and the front diff doesn't do much when towing - assuming 99% of the towing is in 2wd.

Is the rear cover needed...maybe not, but the extra fluid and cooling capacity can't hurt.
do it. i saw a thing on the internet where a guy kept going threw diffs with his f-450 with the dana 80. of course his truck was over loaded all the time but before he went out of warranty the dealer put a cover with higher capacity on hoping to keep it from happening. plus it looks cool

Quick Reply: Dilemma Over Adding Mag Hytec Covers...