1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Budget is officially history!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:07 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ryans88gt
I keep a pretty tight budget. I have so far spent $19518 including paint. My goal was to keep it under $20k. So doing pretty good.

THe budget on my factory five roadster was $26k and I spent closer to $30k. SO I blew that one a little, but mostly on add ons and things I wanted to put in later.

It works for me to plan out everything ahead of time in as much detail as possible, probably bc I have been trained as a project manager for part of my employment.

I hear you on gauges though, they are one of the most expensive pieces I bought... paid $570 for new vintage gauges. They are pretty nice though.

I assume most of your budget was spent on bodywork and paint? You and I looked to have similar construction ideas so not a lot gets spent on chassis and drivetrain because of "do your own" fabrication factor. Your truck is coming out great!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
OK, I get it. So your hobby only cost you $20,000. But you no longer have the hobby.
If your hobby is golf, you have nothing to show for it after you are done. With the truck hobby you have something to show for your efforts.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
If your hobby is golf, you have nothing to show for it after you are done. With the truck hobby you have something to show for your efforts.
That's not quite true, I have a golf bag full of clubs in the attic of my garage and some really nice white wing tip foot joy's hanging on the wall. They don't quite fit in with the old truck.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:23 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Abe you got it . Every hobby has some kind of cost . Most of us will spend way less than $40,000 on a truck build , so the cost is also way less per hour . So if we spend $5 or $10 per hour for recreation and enjoyment , it's a good deal .

Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I will have to use this philosophy on my wife!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:40 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Oh that is definitely true... unless, as he said, you sell it. Then you have pictures (maybe) of what you did. Of course you have memories and experience and it is, after all, a hobby.

I had a hobby once upon a time that cost about $10,000 a year. That was running bird dogs in field trials with a professional trainer/handler. I got one champion pointer out of 6 years of trials, or about $60,000. He was the 1984 Arizona Shooting Dog Champion. And of course, he's been dead for years. But I'll never forget him or the fun I had training and running bird dogs.

Trucks are cheaper and easier to work as a hobbyist. I am having fun with my first old truck. I am keeping track of the expense, but not because it is a limited amount due to a budget. It's recorded so I know what I spent, because I want to know.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:55 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I play a little golf and it is a fairly expensive sport. What I really do a lot is playing tennis at local public courts (one is two houses down the street from mine). Tennis is cheap as rackets last a long time with just restringing and ***** are cheap too. It keeps me in good shape and probably helps keep my coordination and brain in better shape too as I keep getting older and older (can't seem to stop that). The truck on the other hand is a fairly expensive hobby, but very rewarding in other non-monetary ways. I think most of us realize that we will spend much more than the resale value of our trucks. IMO, so what? It is fun to build and that first drive makes it worth it!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Ibuildmyown
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Budgets are for things you fix to sell, things you plan to keep and enjoy a lifetime should not be limited by a budget, only by your imagination. Money can buy happiness if you know where to shop. Build it, drive it, enjoy it .

Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got lucky with my hobby of the F3. I sold it with about a $1500 loss. I really miss working on it. The best part is I've met a really great bunch of guys thru this forum and I can't put a price on how I feel about them. It's a great hobby no matter what the $ cost in my opinion.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:24 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Ibuildmyown
Budgets are for things you fix to sell, things you plan to keep and enjoy a lifetime should not be limited by a budget, only by your imagination. Money can buy happiness if you know where to shop. Build it, drive it, enjoy it .
Unlimited budgets are for people with unlimited funds, and that is not me
I should have documented the out of pocket cash with the latest build, but I have everything on excel. A safe reliable vehicle can be build for not much money but it does take work, which I consider fun.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:06 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Tank send problem with my new gages.

It was 81 here yesterday and got a lot of work done on my 52 F1 but I will start paying for it today as it will get down to 33 tonight.

I went with Vintage USA gages with 12 volt and had problems fitting the fuel sending unit to the tank behind the seat. 5 hole to 6 hole and with an adaptor the unit would not go down through the hole.

If you run into this problem I have how I cured the problem on one of my posts.
TractormanBill

I tore the old unit down and used the flange for the new unit.

Brazed an disc in the the old flange.

Built a box the same size as the inside of the tank to help set float.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:16 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by tractormanbill

Built a box the same size as the inside of the tank to help set float.
Well now that's a great idea. I have my sending unit on the way so I will use this technique soon.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:43 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman

The sending unit you have coming is probably a 5 hole. If so you are going to have the same problem as I did on mounting. The sending unit I had would not go down through the adaptor I bought so I had to modify.
TractormanBill

Old 02-24-2015, 05:28 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Ern-Dawgie's 13 Step Budget Process:

Identify what you need
Have "budget-minded" intentions
Open the Summit website
Find the part you had in mind
Notice the high priced, ultra-bitchin version below your selection
Dismiss the possibility - Keep revisiting the page... (10 times)
Agonize that you want it but can't justify it
Sweep aside all logic and order the cooler part anyway
Experience intense guilt after hitting the "Submit Order" button
Listen impatiently for the UPS Truck
Do your "happy dance" when you open the box
Wait 2 weeks for the Wife to open the Visa Bill - Prepare your defense
Be grateful for a supportive Wife and glad you got the bitchin part...

Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Got my gauges that pushed me over my budget...of $5K.

Quick Reply: Budget is officially history!