Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

460 Noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:09 PM
brne4x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 Noises

Hey everyone. I'm new here. Been checking things out on this site ever since I picked up my 1996 F250 back in June of last year. It's been a great truck overall but now I finally have something to post about. Unfortunately it's not just to introduce myself. I've been a part of Jeep communities in the past when I've owned them and am looking forward to being part of a site again. This looks like a great community.

Hopefully I can get past this issue with my truck and get back to driving it. I'm having some kind of motor issue and wanted to see if anyone has any advice. I tried searching but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

The truck is a 96 F250 with the 460 gas motor. 4x4. Just hit 177,000 miles. Since I got the truck I've done a new mass air flow sensor, plugs, cap/rotor/wires, timing and that's about it as far as the motor goes.

All of a sudden (a few weeks back) anytime it had sat for more than a few hours, when I'd fire it up, my oil pressure gauge would still zeroed out for a few seconds. At the same time you could definitely hear a ticking (like the motor wanted oil). After a few seconds it'd be fine.

I am assuming this next (and new) issue is related. All of a sudden now I am hearing a loud chirping noise (almost sounds like a belt noise). It speeds up and slows down along with the motor as I drive. And sometimes the noise will become more pronounced and at the same time, my oil pressure gauge will lower, or go all the way down (till I give it some gas), and my voltmeter will bounce around.

I am hoping it's not the oil pump as it looks like that might be something beyond a repair in my garage. From what I can see you have to pull the motor at least some (but I haven't found a whole lot of info on that yet). Sometimes the truck doesn't make the chirping noise, or after it's ran for a little bit, it stops altogether. In general the truck runs exceptionally smooth.

Hoping it's something else, perhaps a little less involved. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2015, 05:57 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The tapping noise at startup sounds like your oil filter is draining back into the motor. It doesn't happen to be a Fram filter, does it? Regardless, replace it with a Motorcraft filter and see if that cures it.

Chirping noise could be a slipping belt. Quickest way to isolate that is take the belt off and run the engine for a few seconds. If the chirping noise is gone, then it's either the belt, one of the driven accessories, or the tensioner.

The fuel pumps are in the fuel tanks, no need to pull the motor.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:02 PM
brne4x4
New User
Thanks for the reply! I edited my post - meant to say oil pump... not worried about my fuel pump. It's my oil pressure that keeps dipping. Could a belt issue cause any of that do you think?

The other day it sounded to me like the chirp was coming from the AC. Maybe it's all unrelated and just two separate issues.

But the fact that when the chirp got really loud momentarily, and my oil pressure gauge dipped and volt meter gauge rose all at the same time made me think that the noise was directly related to something to do with that oil pressure.

Originally Posted by dixie460
The tapping noise at startup sounds like your oil filter is draining back into the motor. It doesn't happen to be a Fram filter, does it? Regardless, replace it with a Motorcraft filter and see if that cures it.

Chirping noise could be a slipping belt. Quickest way to isolate that is take the belt off and run the engine for a few seconds. If the chirping noise is gone, then it's either the belt, one of the driven accessories, or the tensioner.

The fuel pumps are in the fuel tanks, no need to pull the motor.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you checking the oil pressure by the gauge in the dash or have you installed a "real" one? That thing in the dash is an unreliable glorified idiot light in it's original state.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:23 PM
brne4x4
New User
Yeah it's just the factory one... good to know it's not super accurate.

Originally Posted by eakermeld
Are you checking the oil pressure by the gauge in the dash or have you installed a "real" one? That thing in the dash is an unreliable glorified idiot light in it's original state.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:32 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
The OEM oil pressure sender isn't even a sender, it is a simple pressure switch. It triggers the gauge to go to normal at anything over, I think, 7 psi. If it is fluctuating that is more like an electrical problem. If you have a belt chirping/slipping this makes perfect sense. The ticking on start-up is no big deal. My 89 is coming up on 300,000 miles and has been doing that for years. As long as you are using the proper weight oil and a good filter (NOT Fram!) and you verify you have acceptable oil pressure, don't sweat it.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:38 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If the alternator belt were slipping, the gauges could fluctuate.

What kind of oil and filter are you running?

Old 02-17-2015, 06:43 PM
brne4x4
New User
I actually need to do an oil change on it now. First one since I have owned it. Up till recently it hasn't been driven much. I was holding off on the off chance the oil pan was going to need pulled. But it sounds like there's a good chance there's nothing wrong with my oil pump.

A mechanic recently told me (in light of that ticking I get upon startup) to run 20w 50 oil in it.

I've read some things online that it's too thick of an oil for this truck. Any recommendations for the age of the truck and mileage?

I've never owned a vehicle with this many miles on it. It runs strong but I'm going to need to change my mindset for how to maintain and get ahead of potential issues I'll run into with this higher mileage truck. I love it tho!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:55 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
10W40 high mileage would be a good all-around choice.

Let the debate begin!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
10w40 of some types does not have friction modifier and can wipe flat tappet cams quickly. There was even a GM TSB on it back in the day. I would try Rotella 15W40 depending on where you are. Most people think of it as a diesel oil, but it is rated for gasoline too. It has a lot of zinc in it which is a great additive. It will protect metal under stresses that cause oil to shear. It has a GREAT detergent and will clean out the gunk gently over time. It is a little thick on cold starts, but diesels run it everywhere, even the arctic. If you live in a really cold place like Wisconsin or North Dakota, they also make a 10W30 Rotella. Put a FL1A Motorcraft filter on it and buy a few extra. They are like $3.50 at Walmart. NEVER use Fram.

I run Pennzoil conventional (great detergent and made from pure Penn crude) in the colder months and Rotella 15W40 in the warm months on every veh except the 2002 PSD, it gets Rotella all the time..

Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
I didn't want to mention that I run 15W40 myself because I always get grief for it, but glad to see someone finally agrees with me! This is the company I get mine from.

J. D. Streett - Quality Petroleum Products - J D Streett & Company

Old 02-17-2015, 07:11 PM
brne4x4
New User
Thanks... I know there's a lot of difference of opinion for what oil to run. I live in southern California. It's pretty warmish year round. Though we did get snow in town for the first time in 10 years on New Years Eve.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:15 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Hey, snap a few more pics and put 'em in the show-off forum! Everybody likes to see pics!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:50 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Southern Cali? No question, Rotella.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:53 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by eakermeld
I didn't want to mention that I run 15W40 myself because I always get grief for it, but glad to see someone finally agrees with me! This is the company I get mine from.

J. D. Streett - Quality Petroleum Products - J D Streett & Company
I catch it on sale at WM for $13/gal. I snagged 5 jugs at a yard sale once for $30

Quick Reply: 460 Noises