1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 Ford F3 Build log

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:06 PM
sammywayne23
Mountain Pass
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
1950 Ford F3 Build log

Hey guys
I am 18 years old and this is my first truck restoration project, and let me tell you I have loved every second of it and I plan on doing more vehicles in my future. My truck is a 50 F3 and is a flatbed and has been in Iowa it's whole life, Mt Pleasant I think. I am the third owner and the youngest too haha. I have been doing a lot of lurking lately and I've came to the conclusion this is the best place for information and even though I already have my truck completely disassembled and have already started rebuilding. I would like to start a thread for any questions I may have as I'm getting into the important stuff. I plan on rebuilding her bone stock. So far I have my engine in the shop being rebuilt, my frame is painted, and I am currently getting her into a roller so I can drop the engine back on and cab and drive her to my house to put together the front end. I am rebuilding the brakes this week, all new wheel bearings, kingpins, bushings etc. Springs are almost done with new bushings just waiting for it to warm up so I can paint. Being 18 with limited funding I do not plan on getting her perfect for a long time. My plan is to get the cab blasted and the bottom shot with bed liner and the rest primed. Then clean the front end and prime myself, then drop back on the truck and make her road legal so I can enjoy her in the summer on beautiful Midwest evenings and annoy my girlfriend with all the old farmers checking out the truck haha. I also plan on keeping the flatbed cause I absolutely love the look and it's more practical cost whys. I feel like this is a reasonable plan but I know this stuff gets expensive! I do not take many pictures but I will do my best to get some as I go. Here are a few and I'll add some later tonight. I know there's not much progress here but there should be some soon and I am learning as I go!

Sam

I feel like the cab is in great shape...front end not so much.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Looks like you're off to a great start.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Moon50F3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome Sammy. I spend most of my time around here lurking. I'm up in WI, and my toy is also a bone stock 50 F3. I did what you are doing when I was about your age, my first ride, a 56 F100. Not sure if I'm that ambitious anymore, but there are plans for my 50. This is a great place to hang out and learn. There are some guys here with lots of good stuff to share. I'll keep an eye on your thread, maybe we'll have some info to share. I've never posted a pic of my 50, maybe I'll try to figure out how.
Pat

Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Welcome, great to have another younger guy catch the fever, and glad to see another F-3 being saved. I'm real envious of the condition of your cab, and have my eyes open for a flatbed like yours for one of mine. As you go forward I'd suggest you become familiar with your two piece 17" wheels. Do a Google search of the tech name for their rims, Firestone RH-5°. Stu

Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 PM
sammywayne23
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Welcome, great to have another younger guy catch the fever, and glad to see another F-3 being saved. I'm real envious of the condition of your cab, and have my eyes open for a flatbed like yours for one of mine. As you go forward I'd suggest you become familiar with your two piece 17" wheels. Do a Google search of the tech name for their rims, Firestone RH-5°. Stu
Stu thank you! I have done my research on the widowmakers in fact my uncle told me about them before I bought the truck . I did all my research and I even read reviews about stockton wheel and I know what I may be getting into. I was very hesitant and I still am a little skeptical about it but I did send them down there. So far so good with them as they have made contact when they received them, and have called me and emailed me to nail down my order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed however I do have backup plan which is the rear axle swap and I have made contact with a guy that can get me one. But we shall see...
Sam

Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome Sam! You've got a great truck and plan. Looks like you aren't afraid to dive right in and give things a go - good for you. The F3s are a good tweener size that allow them to still work for a drive to the coffee shop. As for the old guy attention, expect your GF to get plenty of compliments on her thoughtfulness and understanding. Who knows, she may even help recover the seat.

Keep us posted and kudos on the progress pics.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:10 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the board! I just turned 18 last week, so its nice to see another young buck on here! I also understand the limited funds issue. Good for you that you can even get your gf in the truck! Mine hates how dirty it looks, even after I pressure washed it clean.. Maybe I can get her to help recover the seat.. well out looks like you've already got a good start to a good truck, and this should be fun to watch!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:14 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by sammywayne23
Stu thank you! I have done my research on the widowmakers in fact my uncle told me about them before I bought the truck . I did all my research and I even read reviews about stockton wheel and I know what I may be getting into. I was very hesitant and I still am a little skeptical about it but I did send them down there. So far so good with them as they have made contact when they received them, and have called me and emailed me to nail down my order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed however I do have backup plan which is the rear axle swap and I have made contact with a guy that can get me one. But we shall see...
Sam
Stockton has new ownership. I'll be eager to follow your thread and hear of your experience with them. As the below picture shows, Stockton can do very nice work. This is one of their custom wheels made using stock 17" widowmaker centers with new 17" rims having the traditional 5° tubeless drop center design. Stu

Old 02-17-2015, 08:16 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Welcome Sammy! You are correct, "this is the best place for information."

You don't take many pictures? You just showed us a lot, but keep them coming. You got a lot of work done already. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 PM
opkomdalen
Senior User
Sam, welcome to FTE! I really like to see it when an F3 is coming back. Especially stock.

Doug

Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Welcome to FTE. You've done some nice progress.

Some day i'll work on my 51 f3. After the f2 is done.
The f2 is all apart ( i got it that way) so it will get fully restored
But ive thought about just fixing the mechanicals on the f3 so its safe and drivable and leave the body as is initially.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:58 PM
idahoal
Freshman User
Looking great.wish i would have done this when i was 18.do a search for $100 paint jobs.some pretty good stuff cheap,but alot of labor.if your willing to settle for primer now,its an option to get some color for near nothing.if you are not going to enter your truck in a car show,its a viable option.i am restoring a 69 econoline e100 van,and got a great deal on the paint job, $3k! My entire budget for the van!!..my 55 i plan on painting myself.i am definately over show quality paint.paint has become prohibitively expensive.if it looks good from ten feet im gonna be happy

Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome! It is good to see another 3/4 ton being restored stock.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:11 AM
1950F2
Junior User
Welcome Sam!!! You are off to a very good start. Nice to see you going the "stock route for your F3.
I have a 1590 F2 all stock. Also took done to frame to redo. This is a wonderful place for info and help.

Again, welcome. Be safe and right now STAY WARM!!! Damn cold here right now.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:27 PM
sammywayne23
Mountain Pass
Not really much of an update but despite the cold here (-2) I found some ways to make progress. I finished getting ALL the bushings out of the springs. This is the first thing I've encountered I really haven't enjoyed. Now I just need to paint when it gets warm. I bought some rust - oleum. Do you guys think this is sufficient? I also read that putting oil and paint mixture between the leaves is a good idea..thoughts? Also started brakes. I have a place 20 min away that can reline them for me. I know it's probably in my shop manual but how thick should the new lining be? I know it has to be greater than .01325 from the rivet head to the top of the lining. Once it gets into the teens I'm heading out to the truck to get the shoes from the rear. I love how simple these brakes are but with that I assume they are rough. The cylinders look good so I'm probably going to get a rebuild kit and all new hardware. It's to cold for me to be wrenching in an old barn with lots of holes that sits on the top of a hill facing the west. Terrible combination with the wind.
Sam
Also in the leaf spring pictures I've found that the tools in it are the best for the job ha ha

Quick Reply: 1950 Ford F3 Build log