1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Volare/LeBaron front

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:56 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Volare/LeBaron front

I am getting ready to put the early k-member under my 55. Where is a good place to buy new parts? I also bought a cd from no limit (don't buy it yet). Am I doing the right thing as far as front end ? I have thought about the tci.
Thanks
Art

Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the best forum ever. There is a ton of experience here. I'm not sure what you mean by an early K member. Surely not a Chrysler K car IFS. I've never heard of anyone doing that. I doubt anyone will criticize the TCI IFS.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:30 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Performance Suspension Technology (PST | Car & Truck Suspension Parts | Performance Suspension) carries complete rebuild kits for the various Volare IFS's. As for the rationale behind installing a Volare IFS in 2015, let's just say it's not the first choice for an IFS today. While most parts are available, a few are tough to come by...namely the torsion bars with new bushings. As for the IFS itself the lower control arms are weak, the brakes are small by today's standards, and the travel of the suspension is short. 40 years ago this was a hot setup but today not so much.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:36 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The mopar IFS rebuild parts are getting scarce to non existent, are stone age engineering. There are much better options. The rebuilt beam axle would be better IMHO. How much fab/welding experience do you have?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
mustang 2 based would be my first choice

to keep a budget low and easy I would go crown vic

jag would be my 3rd choice as its old enough it would need a rebuild.

This is from a guy with a volare front suspension, its in and it works its nice that its adjustable. but the other installs are cleaner and easier. Plus the volare uses a steering box, I would much rather have the rack and pinion.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 PM
gdub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got everything to rebuild my Volare front-end at O'reillys except for the torsion bar bushings. Got them from polybushings.com.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:09 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
GDub

I'll add one more point to consider... from personal experience... depending on your engine choice... things can get crowded in the engine room. I had a Volare at first with a 460 block... I had offset to the right 2" for clearance around the steering box. When it came time for headers I had more interference problems... and on both sides...

I opted to remove the Volare and go with Mustang II... a major change that involved a lot of work... done now and I"m happy

My point is... just make sure you will have adequate room for everything that has to fit in the engine compartment... but sometimes youj can't tell till you hit the wall... hope it helps

john

Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM
walt460
Senior User
My 1956 F100 has a Volare front IFS, was installed before I bought it in 1986. I have had it checked by a frame shop, and it was done right including the welds. (It is saddled onto the original frame) I am ready for another rebuild now, but it has been great for a lot of miles. Bigger brakes are now available as are all the service parts, but it is a 1970's IFS design.

I like the 2003-up Crown Vic set up, but it has too wide a track for these trucks if you want to keep the classic look with your wheels. It does make it easy to install a Mod Motor including the new 5.0L Coyote (with an aftermarket power steering pump mount). I am aware that Edward Ritchey is making a 4-3/4" narrowed version and hoping to see one installed on a 1953-1956 frame soon. (Not sure what this does for Mod Motor mounting.)

Old 02-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put a Volare under my 53 F100 because there was lots of tech articles at the time regarding the install and I had access to a low mileage unit complete for $75. It has served me well but I would not use it again. As already has been stated, too many better options today. If I could not afford the current ones then I would stick with parallel leafs and beam axles until I could.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
I was going to use a crown vic as I did have one sitting in my garage as I also have the le baron/volare. My first truck I had a mustang2 put in but sold the whole thing before I finished it.The truck I have now has the i-beam plus disc brakes but just don't want stock even with all the power steering that you can get for them. I more than likely will do the tci as it has new upper a-arms. I looked at no limit but have not decided yet. As far as me doing all the work Hell no. I do know my limits and I don't want junk to run up and down the road. I have friend to do the work he has a shop and does turn key cars and bikes and has been doing it for years here in the springfield area. Thanks for all the response I do like this site and am also on another site that is helpful.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:31 PM
bchrismer
Senior User
Originally Posted by artscott61
I was going to use a crown vic as I did have one sitting in my garage as I also have the le baron/volare. My first truck I had a mustang2 put in but sold the whole thing before I finished it.The truck I have now has the i-beam plus disc brakes but just don't want stock even with all the power steering that you can get for them. I more than likely will do the tci as it has new upper a-arms. I looked at no limit but have not decided yet. As far as me doing all the work Hell no. I do know my limits and I don't want junk to run up and down the road. I have friend to do the work he has a shop and does turn key cars and bikes and has been doing it for years here in the springfield area. Thanks for all the response I do like this site and am also on another site that is helpful.
Hey Art,

I sent ya an e-mail.

bret

Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 PM
willymakeit
Tuned
I have the straight axle under mine. There is the Lexus and Jag also. I sorta like the Jag.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:01 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Hey wily shoot me an email.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:11 AM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Art
It really doesn't matter if you use the crown vic, the jag or the chy front end. They are all good and will make your truck drive better. The chy is good and is under hundreds of trucks as well as millions of the chy. cars. It will be like all the rest, in 15 or 20 years everyone will be telling you how ancient and stupid it would be to put a crown vic or jag front end under your truck. Parts are available for them. Mine has a chy front end and drives great. When it was installed many years ago it was a very modern front end. Are there better choices today? Perhaps so. Will the better choices be outdated someday? Of course. So put in what you want to and feel comfortable with. Things advance and the new will become old and outdated and in the future someone on some forum will tell you how dumb it was to install a internal combustion engine in your truck when so many better choices are out there.
Larry

Old 02-26-2015, 02:44 PM
willymakeit
Tuned
Originally Posted by artscott61
Hey wily shoot me an email.
Message sent

Quick Reply: Volare/LeBaron front