6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

weird start up this morning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM
twfish
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird start up this morning?

This morning I webt out too my plugged in truck (about 10 degrees with out windchill) turned the key let the glow plig light go off turned the key back on let it go again then started it. Started fine but then it went too 500 rpm and started smoking something fierce, hit the high idle switch on my truck too no avail then hit the gas alsl too no avail, let it set like that for about a minite then turned it off and restarted it and it ran fine. Very strange? I wonder if it was my tune plus the cold? (Tune is street and is 500hp) any ideas? I fear a ficm?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Check for codes and check main and logic power on the FICM. What are condition of batteries and alternator, do you have 12v at the FICM prior to cold start?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:30 PM
twfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Check for codes and check main and logic power on the FICM. What are condition of batteries and alternator, do you have 12v at the FICM prior to cold start?
Batteries are in good shape I was seeing 14 amps, alt is new, yesterday the truck gelled up and I had too get jumped could that cause something? My programmer doesnt monitor ficm so I have no clue too that

Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Gelling up can cause a few issues later on. Look up the procedure to test the FICM in the tech folder at the top of this forum. It's pretty easy and I would bet that is your issue or part of it. I am assuming you mean 14 volts not amps, with the engine running but more importantly, what is your battery voltage prior to start, key on engine off, that tells you what your batteries have. The other to know Is battery voltage cranking and FICM logic power cranking and post start. This is where you will see how your FICM is coping with the lower voltage at and prior to start, and when engine is cold. The FICM shouldn't drop below 45 volts and should stay closer to 48 volts. You may also be having some stiction problems, do you add antigel and cetane booster? This would be a good preventative thing. The other thing is to consider blue spring fuel pressure upgrade and measuring your fuel pressure. Starving injectors of fuel (such as gelling) can cause some damage and issues. A few things to try. If it does the smoke thing again after treating the fuel and checking these things, you may have to dig a little deeper.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 AM
twfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Gelling up can cause a few issues later on. Look up the procedure to test the FICM in the tech folder at the top of this forum. It's pretty easy and I would bet that is your issue or part of it. I am assuming you mean 14 volts not amps, with the engine running but more importantly, what is your battery voltage prior to start, key on engine off, that tells you what your batteries have. The other to know Is battery voltage cranking and FICM logic power cranking and post start. This is where you will see how your FICM is coping with the lower voltage at and prior to start, and when engine is cold. The FICM shouldn't drop below 45 volts and should stay closer to 48 volts. You may also be having some stiction problems, do you add antigel and cetane booster? This would be a good preventative thing. The other thing is to consider blue spring fuel pressure upgrade and measuring your fuel pressure. Starving injectors of fuel (such as gelling) can cause some damage and issues. A few things to try. If it does the smoke thing again after treating the fuel and checking these things, you may have to dig a little deeper.
I had a p403 and a p405, the truck is deleted so thats weird right?