General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: Should you be able to carry a concealed weapon?
Of course, the bill of rights protects that right.
91.30%
Not on your life, It endangers others.
5.22%
I really don't know anything about this topic, but i thought i'd post anyhow
1.74%
I'm not sure where i stand
1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Concealed carry laws

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:47 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Concealed carry laws

So just wonderin what you all think about your right to carry a concealed weapon. Wisconsin reintroduced the bill to the state assembly last thursday and i'm in the process of writing my letter to the governer showing my support for it. What ya all think?

Old 07-22-2003, 09:54 PM
dtpatt2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concealed carry laws

? got you, You mean concealed weapon as in, the right to carry a gun around with you, let's say, at work? Or do you mean, the right to bear arms? As in to own one at home? The Bill of Rights protects us to bear arms, not to conceal a weapon...

Old 07-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Concealed carry laws

Well heres where the law stands right now. The state supreme court ruled that its legal to carry a concealed weapon on your property, or at your place of buisness that you own. The bill to issue permits to carry anywhere (with restrictions) is now in the assembly.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Concealed carry laws

An armed society is a polite society.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:07 PM
dtpatt2
Elder User
Concealed carry laws

OHHH, I'm kinda slow, I was thinking Federal, your talking state. My bad... From what I've heard, you guys got a pretty good Governer. He's taken some good stands...

Old 07-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Concealed carry laws

Well some of us would debate how good our governer is, he just caused a tuition hike again...but this isn't the time or place to debate our politicians, we've got him and we might as well make the best of our time with him.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:16 PM
david.brady
Elder User
Concealed carry laws

"Here in Texas . . ." Well anyway, I think that a Concealed Handgun Licnese is something that a responsible person has the right to have. With any type of law like this, there will be many mandates and restrictions that will accompany this. Should the average JOE have the right, to just carry one on him, NO! The Bill of Rights makes me think of a well regulated "Militia" mainly the National Guard and reserve, it has been interpreted to include many other things as well. Do I think that that we should be allowed to have weapons in our business and homes; sneak into my house late at night and you'll find your answer. I hope that more states will actually do the same with concealed handgun licenses, it's a way to try to take guns out of the hands of Stooopid people and put them into the hands of more "responsible" people. The door's wide open . . .

Old 07-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Concealed carry laws

Here in Montana and about 29 other states they have passed "Right To Carry" laws. They basically mean that if you legally allowed to own a handgun, you can carry it on your hip as long as others can see it. Kinda silly I think. I would much rather not know if somebody has a gun, just that they don't get careless.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:23 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Concealed carry laws

We have it here in Oregon, and I have mine. I usually only pack though if I'm on my Harley, hiking, or on a long trip. I believe in it myself.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:32 PM
dtpatt2
Elder User
Concealed carry laws

I grew up on L.A. Live just south of Denver now, but I have never been in a situation where I've needed one. Has anyone here? Why would someone need one? I manage quite a bit of technicians, I would hate it if I knew that some of them carried a firearm. There is constant tiffs going on between them, some of them have short fuses, I don't need them shooting each other.
I understand if you are a high profile person, but an average Joe like me? I have a plethora of firearms at home, but, I've never thought I needed to hide a gun in my truck or take one with me other than for hunting...Maybe if I didn't live in the city......JMO.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:41 PM
christop43
Posting Guru
Concealed carry laws

Here in Alaska they just changed the law regarding concealed guns. Used to be you had to get a permit and take a safety class, now no permit or class is needed, so anyone is free to carry (except for felons).

Old 07-22-2003, 10:41 PM
2000stanggirl
New User
Concealed carry laws

We are a "right to carry" state (Oklahoma) and have the concealed carry license option. I am currently waiting on my license. I have already taken the course, so I have to get my local background check and send it in to the OSBI.

In my instance, I want the license because I travel alone with my small child frequently, so I want to have my handgun handy, but not out in the open. I do have a paddle holster (that isn't easy to conceal) but the only time I actually use it is when I go shooting. I have never walked around in public with it on my hip. LOL

Old 07-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Concealed carry laws

Originally posted by dtpatt2
I've never thought I needed to hide a gun in my truck or take one with me other than for hunting...Maybe if I didn't live in the city......JMO.
It's not really about "hiding" it in your truck. Here in S. Fla. it's more about being able to have it in your truck and loaded at the same time. Otherwise, you'd better have the gun in a secure case (and/or your glove box or trunk) and the ammunition in another place.

And yes, I've found the need for having a gun handy a couple of times.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:17 PM
troposcatter
Elder User
Concealed carry laws

Arizona law allows us to carry firearms without permit in the open and you can get a concealed permit for 50.00 and the background check. You can carry a loaded weapon in your vehicle as long as its not concealed, interestingly if its in a holster or case you can put it anywhere in the vehicle out of site, and AZ law states that a weapon carried in a carrier or case made to carry a weapon (not a holster) is not considered concealed, I weigh about 250 and I find that my 1911 is a little large but tucks away well.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:25 PM
brokenvega
New User
Concealed carry laws

I'd feel safer if I could carry concealed, but when I think about everyone else being armed as well, I figure I'm better off not packing. I don't go for the old saw that an armed society is a polite society. People, even reasonable, level headed, law abiding people get scared and make mistakes. They get angry. They drink too much alcohol at parties sometimes. Start with any of the above circumstances, add an instantly accessible pistol, and I'm hard pressed to imagine how there wouldn't be a statistical spike in the numbers of gun related injuries and deaths. And that's among reasonable people. Think about the macho punks, drug freaks, and nut cases who haven't committed their first felony yet. They'd be armed, too. No, thanks. I don't want myself or my family caught in the crossfire. Keep those concealed carry laws stringent.

Quick Reply: Concealed carry laws