1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Van Protection & Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:57 AM
DHuskic
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vettex2
seems like it would get holes poked in it.
It's typical for some paneling to go over the layers of that material. That's what I plan on using, along with some vertical etrack as well.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking pop riveting some flexible plastic would work.Anyone tried that ?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:06 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by DHuskic
He uses something similar to this I believe:
Actually I've used this specifically: Reflective Insulation | TemShield Single Bubble White/Foil Insulation

(There is another variation of this same material consisting of two bubble-wrap layers.)

seems like it would get holes poked in it.
It's typical for some paneling to go over the layers of that material. That's what I plan on using, along with some vertical etrack as well.
I'm thinking pop riveting some flexible plastic would work.Anyone tried that ?
My stuff is tough as nails----between the tough polyethelene and foil outer surfaces it will resist punctures etc---its even difficult to cleanly cut without a new utility knife blade. As such it would be acceptable as sidewall insulation without additional paneling or sheeting.

Along my floor I cut and installed strips of wood fitting between the lower flange and uncovered floor, secured in place with screws drilled downward into them. This acts as a nailing surface so to speak.

Careful planning on the layout and cutting of 48" x 120" ABS FRP commercial grade interior paneling sheets I was able to use the vertical ribs and other such surfaces as attachment points for that material. #8 x3/4" SS trim screws with integrated trim washer hold much better than is minimally needed. Screws allow removal of the sheets should that ever be necessary.

My sheeting runs vertically because the 120" length gives me two pieces---interior height is about 55".

I'll dig around for photos of this process---not sure how well I documented this part of my up fit.

HTH

Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 AM
DHuskic
Freshman User
Welp... the van broke down yesterday with a blinking "Service Engine Soon" light. It was misfiring really bad at highway speeds when this started so I had to pull over. Won't get to cleaning the rust til this weekend now.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Too bad on that----most likely nothing too serious though---have had nothing but good luck with the 5.4 engines.

Get your codes pulled and post them here or in the Modular Motors V8 forum---plenty of help either place.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 AM
DHuskic
Freshman User
Misfire on one of the cylinders, I don't think the plugs were replaced correctly, and a bad dpfe sensor. Getting new plugs, wires, and a dpfe sensor. Oh, and unfortunately I got the small engine...

Trying to put in an order, any chance you know if 22" wiper blades will fit the 02?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
I'll dig around for photos of this process---not sure how well I documented this part of my up fit.

HTH

Old 02-18-2015, 11:53 PM
tims01
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JWA .... im having flashbacks

Old 02-19-2015, 02:59 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Spray foam is the reason I'm replacing my van body it rust it out bad!!!

Old 02-19-2015, 05:53 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Misfire on one of the cylinders, I don't think the plugs were replaced correctly, and a bad dpfe sensor. Getting new plugs, wires, and a dpfe sensor. Oh, and unfortunately I got the small engine...

Trying to put in an order, any chance you know if 22" wiper blades will fit the 02?
For the best plug replacement practice visit the Modular Motor forum, either will work for this. The only difference is the number of cylinders---many of the maintenance and upkeep steps are identical.

I use nothing but 22" wiper blades.

We'll have to see how much info is needed or wanted on this topic--and I'll have to dig through about 8 years of photos.

Originally Posted by tims01
JWA .... im having flashbacks
From our halcyon days when our Love Shacks were vans?

Originally Posted by Skip1970
Spray foam is the reason I'm replacing my van body it rust it out bad!!!
That crap is instant death to sheet metal---bad thing is it corrodes from the inside out. By the time we see it most of the metal is already gone.

Skip if you have photos of the existing damage and can maybe document your repairs from this it would be very, very helpful here.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:49 AM
DHuskic
Freshman User
Looking forward to clearing out the motorcycle in the garage and getting inside the van with an electric heater so I can finally get some work done and clean the damn. Should be ordering the steering suspension damper assembly soon, I can put that on this weekend as well.

Any photos/tricks you guys went through on your builds are/will help immensely on the whole insulation process.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:00 PM
tims01
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to clearing out the motorcycle in the garage and getting inside the van with an electric heater so I can finally get some work done and clean the damn. Should be ordering the steering suspension damper assembly soon, I can put that on this weekend as well.

Any photos/tricks you guys went through on your builds are/will help immensely on the whole insulation process.
here is a link to what i did .. i hurkulined the inside and insulated .. i use mine as a plumbing work van and i have very strict requirements for waterproofing as i hate getting water in my cab area and i also hate / detest rattles and the drum effect so feel free to have a looky

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-stable.html

Old 02-20-2015, 02:53 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i can post pics of the damage, but its turning into a shed. and decent body going on.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:59 AM
DHuskic
Freshman User
Awesome, thanks for the link! Looks like I'll be staying away from the insulation foam. Going to try and get the thing cleaned this Saturday(going to be a high of 32 so I might actually be able to work outside!).

Took a 2.5 hour round trip drive last night and the van drives great at 75, but kept it around 65 for gas. It definitely guzzles a lot more than I expected. I've only been getting maybe 100 miles tops every 1/4 for the last 5, filled it up last weekend. Going to end up with about 400 miles on this tank(which puts my mpg's way under 14. Currently has 2 mismatched tires, and they might not be aired up all the way. Going to look into that, run some seafoam, the air filter, and I read something about unclogging or replacing something in the exhaust(gotta do some more research). Scanguage II is coming in so no more unknown codes, and I'll be able to record MPG's more accurately.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:35 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by tims01
here is a link to what i did .. i hurkulined the inside and insulated .. i use mine as a plumbing work van and i have very strict requirements for waterproofing as i hate getting water in my cab area and i also hate / detest rattles and the drum effect so feel free to have a looky

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-stable.html
I remember that build out---especially the volunteer crew you had working for you!

Tims01 is pretty much like my own right down to some of that metal shelving. I've since added two Snap On tool boxes and rear heater. As currently outfitted it can be close to 70* in the rear and I have the extended body too.

I did go a bit further with insulation in the side walls which helps maintain inside temps when needed. Adding LED lighting was a huge benefit---plenty of light and drawing only 3 amps total.

Flooring consists of 3/4" fitted carefully to the side walls, covered with a heavy commercial grade carpeting. That alone accounts for a huge reduction in road noise---so much of our noise can be cut out by nothing more than a 1/2" or 3/4" plywood base.

Quick Reply: Van Protection & Insulation