Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Ball Joint Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was referring to rob ross's comments about grease worn joints and helping wander in the first page. I don't have worn out lowers anymore. I swapped in a dana 60 instead of investing one cent in the 50 that was under there.

Though the bj's on the 60 have a little bit of play so they will be replaced with xrf's at some point.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:57 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Nice job Rodder!
Looks very familiar, I took a peak at mine yesterday because of this thread and saw that one of the zerks is missing, not sure if it got broken off or (hard to believe) fell out. Will have to check into it farther next time I fall down under the EX.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:11 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Nice job Rodder!
Looks very familiar, I took a peak at mine yesterday because of this thread and saw that one of the zerks is missing, not sure if it got broken off or (hard to believe) fell out. Will have to check into it farther next time I fall down under the EX.

The parts store gave me a handful. He said they were non inventoried, been in the been for years and no other employees would even know what the were. Online the ones I found showed drilling. 005 under, I figured the tighter fit I gave may help hold them in.

I'll post later if I feel / sense any different handling.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:02 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I was referring to rob ross's comments about grease worn joints and helping wander in the first page. I don't have worn out lowers anymore. I swapped in a dana 60 instead of investing one cent in the 50 that was under there.

Though the bj's on the 60 have a little bit of play so they will be replaced with xrf's at some point.
I'm not seeing a reply from me on the first page nor a reply where I suggest greasing worn ball joints...are you referring to another thread? I would never suggest that but maybe I wasn't clear?

Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
I drove around town this afternoon, probably 12 miles, 10-35 mph.

Not much difference.

This evening we shot on the freeway for 14 miles doing 70 mph. I "think" there was improvement. But feel I should give it a little time in case it's wishful thinking.....you know?

The kicker is we came home the back way, more rural, 45-55 mph with varying speeds and corners with small hills, etc.

But, I had my wife drive. She drives an 07 Denali. That is a sports car compared to the EX, with less resistance in turning the wheel and absolutely no wander and a quicker ratio steering it makes my truck feel like a clunker....

She rarely drives the Excursion but felt it was better than driving it a few weeks ago.

I will update this after a few hundred miles and post what I think then.

Sorry about the hijacking, just feel it's relevant and not worthy of a separate thread.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:51 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
My uppers have no zerk either.
Is that standard?
Is,it worth drilling and throwing a zerk on those too?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:13 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by A Rodder
My uppers have no zerk either.
Is that standard?
Is,it worth drilling and throwing a zerk on those too?

factory uppers have no zerks. The moog replacement uppers do but wont clear the ujoint on a 4x4, so they come with a small plug to use after servicing. Its a pain to reinstall a fitting every time to service it so its really not practical.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
factory uppers have no zerks. The moog replacement uppers do but wont clear the ujoint on a 4x4, so they come with a small plug to use after servicing. Its a pain to reinstall a fitting every time to service it so its really not practical.
I believe my uppers are factory and they have a zerk. The zerk is straight and I had to buy this for my grease gun. Grease Gun Fitting by RobRoss | Ford-Trucks.com

Old 04-23-2015, 07:54 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RobRoss
I believe my uppers are factory and they have a zerk. The zerk is straight and I had to buy this for my grease gun. Grease Gun Fitting by RobRoss | Ford-Trucks.com

pics? Curious to see how it clears. Never seen one with factory installed greasable joints.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Thanks guys

Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
pics? Curious to see how it clears. Never seen one with factory installed greasable joints.
Click the link for a pic, it's been discussed here before. I don't really know if they were changed or not, I bought the truck in 2009 with 87k miles. My Ex was a company car for someone and every time they went to the dealer, the dealer wrote in the book...tire rotations, wiper blades etc...never saw ball joint replacement...unless a local garage did it.

Anywho, click the link for the picture in post 53 or 54.

Last edited by RobRoss; 04-23-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added content
Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
I meant a pic of the ball joint. I would say its been changed. I've been under a lot of superduties and haven't seen factory grease fittings on any of them. Either way I'm curious which zerk you have that clears the ujoint, it might be something for me to aquire when I put in mine next week.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
I meant a pic of the ball joint. I would say its been changed. I've been under a lot of superduties and haven't seen factory grease fittings on any of them. Either way I'm curious which zerk you have that clears the ujoint, it might be something for me to aquire when I put in mine next week.
I'll try to snap a pic tonight...sorry for the confusion.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:45 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RobRoss
I'll try to snap a pic tonight...sorry for the confusion.

no worries, I'm easily confused. ;-)

Old 04-23-2015, 02:06 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone ever try to go super ghetto on the bj replacement and just hammer out the old bj's and pull the entire knuckle and spindle off without disassembly? Not sure if you could press the new ones in and still squeeze the knuckle back on with the axle in place. Probably not. Was just looking at the job and thinking, well, that might work.

Quick Reply: Current Ball Joint Question