Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Ball Joint Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:35 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drilled my originals and still going strong at 144k!
Originally Posted by A Rodder
This a good thread,

Can you guys confirm, on the lowers that don't have a zerk, cam you drill/tap while they are installed with the wheels mounted.

If I put mine on my lift at work I will try it next week.

I am still experiencing wandering, although less, after doing the Redhead box, x/b codes, bilstein shocks & steering dampener, hellwigs....etc

Old 04-18-2015, 06:40 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by A Rodder
This a good thread,

Can you guys confirm, on the lowers that don't have a zerk, cam you drill/tap while they are installed with the wheels mounted.

If I put mine on my lift at work I will try it next week.

I am still experiencing wandering, although less, after doing the Redhead box, x/b codes, bilstein shocks & steering dampener, hellwigs....etc

Yes, I drilled and installed my zerks into the bottom of both lower ball joints laying on my back in the driveway with the tires on.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:41 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Yes, I drilled and installed my zerks into the bottom of both lower ball joints laying on my back in the driveway with the tires on.
That's what I was looking for, thank you.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:32 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PICs or Thread PLEASE

Old 04-19-2015, 09:38 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Anyone who stumbles on this thread, I posted where the shop did my uppers only.... If you have it apart, change all four, it does make sense. The lower on my drivers side took a rapid dump over the last month. Vibrations at speed were the tipoff that something was wrong and I was looking for issues with my new X/C springs, but low and behold, pry bar under the tire trick and I can clearly see the lower on the drivers side is quite sloppy loose. So much for the shop saving me some money. At least I have a third vehicle to drive and a 20 ton press, and a separate ball joint press if that doesn't do the trick, so I can attempt to replace the lowers myself this time. Might do new unit bearings while I have it apart since I hate doing things twice.

AAAAHHHA CRAP

Old 04-19-2015, 05:36 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
PICs or Thread PLEASE

No pics, sorry. But picture an old fat guy laying on his back on an asphalt driveway with a right angle drill. I gobbed some grease onto the bottom of the bottom ball joints and the drill bit (to hopefully capture and stray metal shavings from the drilling). Then I just drilled a hole into the center-ish of each lower ball joint and then installed a pair of the hammer in style zerk fittings, I don't recall the exact name for them but you just hammer them into the proper sized hole vs having to tap threads. Then I pumped red Mobil 1 synthetic grease into each joint.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:27 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
No pics, sorry. But picture an old fat guy laying on his back on an asphalt driveway with a right angle drill. I gobbed some grease onto the bottom of the bottom ball joints and the drill bit (to hopefully capture and stray metal shavings from the drilling). Then I just drilled a hole into the center-ish of each lower ball joint and then installed a pair of the hammer in style zerk fittings, I don't recall the exact name for them but you just hammer them into the proper sized hole vs having to tap threads. Then I pumped red Mobil 1 synthetic grease into each joint.

Good enough, was wondering if you went in to the bottom center. Did you install a 90deg zerk ?? Never seen a hammer in

Old 04-19-2015, 08:09 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Bottom center, straight zerk, found the hammer in zerks at Pep Boys, they were cheap.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:31 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
I did the same, even slightly off center but tapped mine. Bit and tap were greased up also. I was lucky enough to see a drawing of a Ford Econoline ball joint and saw that the bottom of the ball had a flat on it so I knew if I was off center, it wouldn't matter.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:45 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
I picked some hammer in zerks up this morning.....pics of parts and install to follow.....I promise!

Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm guessing you will lose your warranty if you drill out new joints.

My lowers failed. I am having difficulty believing that greasing a ball joint that is already worn and allowing play would actually help. It may feel a little tighter because the grease is taking up some of the space that is allowing slop, but under a 4 ton truck I wouldn't think it would make a difference.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:38 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I'm guessing you will lose your warranty if you drill out new joints.

My lowers failed. I am having difficulty believing that greasing a ball joint that is already worn and allowing play would actually help. It may feel a little tighter because the grease is taking up some of the space that is allowing slop, but under a 4 ton truck I wouldn't think it would make a difference.
Nobody said anything about greasing worn ball joints to make them like new. Mine were like new when I drilled and tapped them and still are today. I did this right after I bought my truck, about 87k miles (now 144k), it did wander quite a bit. Greasing the lowers helped quite a bit (along with all of the other things we do). At that time, grease was the biggest improvement, I also tighten the steering box and got an alignment. All were done separately.

Sorry to hear your lowers are bad.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:43 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm thinking of drilling my sloppy lower just to see what difference it makes...my new moog uppers and lowers should arrive tomorrow though so it would just be an experiment until I change them. Probably dont need uppers as they are only a year or so old but I can't go this far and only do the lowers. Not again.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:12 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
My ex has 116k, neither upper or lower have zerks. I have done every recommendation re wandering even a new red head box.

No obvious slop in any of the linkage.
Alignment done a few weeks ago.

The overall characteristics of the truck where at a 9 upon buying it at 104k

Now they are at a 2-3, with wandering being the only concern, which was dramatically reduced with the box though.

Red head offered to send another but recommend I look closer at the lower ball joints as they may be sticking.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:23 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru

<br/>

The drill bit is 5/16, .010 smaller than the barbs of the fitting.<br/><br/>Removing tire would have gotten a tad straighter angle.....buy I'm impatient...<br/><br/>

Proper use of tools is rule number 40.<br/>1/4" drive 7mm socket was the proper beating in device in conjunction with a ball peen or pecker hammer I call it.<br/><br/>

<br/><br/>It took longer to call 4 part stores that 3 of had no clue what I wanted than to install them. 15 minutes.<br/><br/>I'm a tall fat guy and used a lift but the same results could be had by someone in more shape and laying on the ground.

Quick Reply: Current Ball Joint Question