1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cable connections - something wrong ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:28 AM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not sure, but is the relay wired wrong? Shouldn't the battery go on the left side of the relay and the wire to the starter go on the right side of relay?

Maybe I shouldn't comment, I know nothing about pre-1953's.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:47 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
They probably should be reversed, FoPar, but it doesn't affect solenoid operation.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
PROGRESS !!!!

Received some parts in the mail today .New correct yr. starter solenoid , starter button , brake switch , and some cosmetic items .
Starter solenoid made a major difference .
POS off made starter button lasted less then 5 min. Plastic housing to big to fit in hole on dash .It broke trying to take it out so made one out of some parts from it & the old one .

EUREKA !!! it turned the starter !!!! and tried to start . Put a little gas in the carb & it did run for a very short period of time .

Next problem . No fuel in the glass bowl from the pump . Have fuel in line from tank , in the inline filter . So am thinking maybe the diaphragm is wasted so will take the pump apart thur. for inspection .Have 2 sources ready to order one if that is the case .
The new vented gas cap looks real nice .

Need to take the sides off the headliner and move them forward . Need just a tad more roof section to go back .

Almost there & getting excited . Nearing a 7 1/2 yr. build . Really less then that if you deduct the 4 yrs. it sat at the body shop inline for painting .After that much time it was my fault .

Old 02-25-2015, 08:09 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
The seal at the glass bowl is a tough one to make leak free. Remember, the pump is sucking and it will suck any bit of air before it will pull fuel. Before you take the pump off or apart, disconnect the inlet hose, place your finger over the intake port and crank the engine over a few times. If the pump is working, you will feel suction. A vacuum gauge will work for this test as well. We want to see that thing run.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Denny,
Fingers crossed over here for you! The shakedown phase can be aggravating. "Why doesn't this work - I know I did it right"...
It's usually some part that isn't doing it's job correctly. Our brake pedal push rod was off by 1/8in. - locked up the whole system after a 1/2 mile. Took us forever to find that one... Hang in there...

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raytasch
The seal at the glass bowl is a tough one to make leak free. Remember, the pump is sucking and it will suck any bit of air before it will pull fuel. Before you take the pump off or apart, disconnect the inlet hose, place your finger over the intake port and crank the engine over a few times. If the pump is working, you will feel suction. A vacuum gauge will work for this test as well. We want to see that thing run.
I second that....I have those glass bowls on two tractors. I put a thin film of fuel-lube on the cork gaskets. The fuel-lube is a defunct product that was taken over by a company called EZ-Turn. It's the same stuff. It is like grease that doesn't dissolve in gasoline. It's great on cork gaskets, and things like packings for fuel valves.

Denny...that is looking great!! I want to see a video of that engine starting up!!

Dan

Old 02-26-2015, 11:50 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No!! Not just a start video. But a drive down the block video please.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

The initial drive will be soon . Worked on the head liner today . The template for the dome light above the rear window worked out great . If any one is at that stage on the build let me know & you can have it . Will do the final install on it fri.

Was going to test the fuel pump for suction but now the starter engages and just hums . Thought maybe a bad spot on the flywheel but did not notice anything out of the ordinary during assembly .What now I say ?
Am glad being a very patient man .

Old 02-26-2015, 07:32 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
[QUOTE=firstrider;15127699

Was going to test the fuel pump for suction but now the starter engages and just hums . .What now I say ?
Am glad being a very patient man .[/QUOTE]

Very possibly the spring on the bendix.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:33 PM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
I sent you an email about the template.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

The starter was allegedly rebuilt during the engine build . Will take it out & have a very good auto electrical friend check it out. He is great to visit as he has some pineapple shine from TN. for medicinal purposes .It is awesome stuff .

Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
For cleaning the Bendix starter drive. *cough*

Old 03-13-2015, 08:21 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Jolly Roger Joe , it was a ground situation on the stop / taillights . All is bright now . Thank you .

Does it take some priming of the fuel system to get it to pump fuel ? Have fuel in the line up to the flex line to the pump . Replaced the fuel pump . Seen some hair line cracks in the old diaphram . The fuel pump push rod moves up & down under starting . Cranked it for 15 sec. this afternoon & no fuel in the bowl . Starting to second guess myself. This system is so basic. The engine does run . They had a gravity feed supply on it at the engine shop where it was built . Am so close to have it move under it's own power .

Old 03-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by firstrider
Does it take some priming of the fuel system to get it to pump fuel ? Have fuel in the line up to the flex line to the pump . Replaced the fuel pump . Seen some hair line cracks in the old diaphram . The fuel pump push rod moves up & down under starting . Cranked it for 15 sec. this afternoon & no fuel in the bowl . Starting to second guess myself. This system is so basic. The engine does run . They had a gravity feed supply on it at the engine shop where it was built . Am so close to have it move under it's own power .
Remove the line from the carb side of the pump and crank it to see if the pump is pumping. Obviously you want to catch the gas in a container.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:45 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Pretty damn happy today !!! 3-14-15 a milestone day . Ya ,that 's right .You know what happened today . IT LIVES !!!!! All systems go . I love the sound of a flatty in the evening ! Tomorrow bolt on the WWW Coker 6:00 x 16''s w/ beauty rings & FORD center caps & go for a ride down the street & back . What a sense of accomplishment after 6 yrs. of a patient build Pics sun eve. YEAH !!!

Quick Reply: Cable connections - something wrong ?