Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is value greatly effected?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Matt Mariani
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is value greatly effected?

I found a driver quality MY '74 Bronco for sale.

It's entirely fiberglass except for the dash and windshield support and i would guess the inner front fenders.

It was painted lousy by (owner and his brother), has the original 302 (runs OK but looks rough) and auto trans with the Hurst conversion to floor shift.

No doors of course but has the fiberglass panels in their place which allows the interior to be closed up by the aftermarket top.

It's basically an off road Bronco but is street legal and inspected.
The heater core is disconnected so it probably leaks.

Is this truck worth $8500? It's very modifed and rough looking. The frame has surface rust (from Ga) but no rust through..

Good thing is it has decent alloy wheels, a lift kit and sits on 35 MT tires.

Does the fiberglass body effect the value a lot?

I wanted to offer them $4500. Am i way off??

Thanks, -Matt

Old 02-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Value of older vehicles, and seemingly especially Broncos, is really hard to guess. For me a fiberglass body would add value. I live in the salt belt and my Bronco is rusting out. I'd like to be able to drive it more in the winter, but I don't want to accelerate the rust too much. I'll probably end up putting a fiberglass body on it at some point and it would have been worth something to me if it had already been done.

But a lot of Broncos seem to have ridiculously high value (at least to the people selling them) because they are "classic". And putting a 'glass body on a classic seems sacriligious and would likely hurt the value to anyone looking at it that way.

So the answer is "it depends." Overall I'd guess the seller can get a lot more than $4,500 for it. Heck, even just buying a fiberglass tub will set you back that much. But maybe being poorly painted and mounted on a rough vehicle makes the tub worth less than it would be if it wasn't on the Bronco.

By the way, I had a 'glass body on a CJ-5, and I loved it. Not only no worries about rust, but it shrugged off some pretty solid hits without denting. I think they generally hold up a lot better than steel. But I also thing they make it more important that you mount the roll cage to the frame (I did on my CJ).

Old 02-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Matt Mariani
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Value of older vehicles, and seemingly especially Broncos, is really hard to guess. For me a fiberglass body would add value. I live in the salt belt and my Bronco is rusting out. I'd like to be able to drive it more in the winter, but I don't want to accelerate the rust too much. I'll probably end up putting a fiberglass body on it at some point and it would have been worth someting to me if it had already been done.

But a lot of Broncos seem to have ridiculously high value (at least to the people selling them) because they are "classic". And putting a 'glass body on a classic seems sacriligious and would likely hurt the value to anyone looking at it that way.

So the answer is "it depends." Overall I'd guess the seller can get a lot more than $4,500 for it. Heck, even just buying a fiberglass tub will set you back that much. But maybe being poorly painted and mounted on a rough vehicle makes the tub worth less than it would be if it wasn't on the Bronco.

By the way, I had a 'glass body on a CJ-5, and I loved it. Not only no worries about rust, but it shrugged off some pretty solid hits without denting. I think they generally hold up a lot better than steel. But I also thing they make it more important that you mount the roll cage to the frame (I did on my CJ).
Great answer to my question thanks -Matt