Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Don't do the doo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The don't rule "of keeping keys away from your rig with tuners" ALMOST got me 2 days ago!
I was checking my codes with my superchips tuner, and RIGHT BEFORE I hit scan button on my tuner I reslized my key was on, so I turned the key off and hit scan.
Not sure if a code reader part of a tuner can fry the PCM (?) but I damn sure don't want to risk it.

A don't I learned the hard way many years ago on another vehicle was;
DONT randomly hook up a wire, you found unhooked to a part that "looks right" with the attitude of "well, let's see what happens..."
Its really remarkable how fast the wires rubber coating disappeared instantly and it's entire length turned bright orange-hot within a fraction of a second...
Expensive lesson.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
...I would ask for the set of rules & guidelines of NPS but I am sure you haven't gotten around to it....
Sorry for the delay, I just got around to replying to this. I was going to establish NPS rules and guidelines, but I figured nobody would get around to reading them - so I put it off.

The NPS motto: Don't be rash - rationalize.

The NPS logo:

Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't forget to put the HPOP reservoir plug back in before cranking over the engine. Although for you complete oil change guys, it's a very quick way to clear out all of the old engine oil.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
That one has been added to the list.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 AM
greg_8507
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombiePopper
The don't rule "of keeping keys away from your rig with tuners" ALMOST got me 2 days ago!
I was checking my codes with my superchips tuner, and RIGHT BEFORE I hit scan button on my tuner I reslized my key was on, so I turned the key off and hit scan.
Not sure if a code reader part of a tuner can fry the PCM (?) but I damn sure don't want to risk it.
You won't do any harm scanning for codes with the key on or even with the engine running. However, if you were to accidentally crank the truck when the programmer says to only turn the ignition on but don't start, or turn the ignition off while the tunes are downloading it will corrupt the tune and you are left with a no start situation. If you are lucky the programmer will, after several attempts, return the vehicle to stock. Then you can update the tuner using the Superchips updater and you can try again.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:09 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
Sorry for the delay, I just got around to replying to this. I was going to establish NPS rules and guidelines, but I figured nobody would get around to reading them - so I put it off.

The NPS motto: Don't be rash - rationalize.

The NPS logo:

That is PERFECT Rich !!!
Dali is one of my favorite artists and "Persistence of Memory" is very fitting!

Old 02-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Deep in OT land: One of my favorite modern artists is Bev Doolittle - a total lesson in attention to detail.

Speaking of detail, my favorite classic artists are Rembrandt, and his inspiration - Caravaggio. They were making masterpieces without the benefit of modern art supplies - at a time when native Americans were making cave drawings. I was in Amsterdam at the time their work was on display in the Van Gogh museum (walking distance from the Heineken brewery and the er... uh... red light district). It's not like here in the States where there's a barrier between you and the artwork - I was able to get close enough (with my reading glasses on) to breathe on the paintings. The brush strokes... oh man. How did they do that 500 and 600 years ago?

Needless to say - I was moved by the experience.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:06 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Now in keeping with the thread of "Don't Do" I want to share these painting from Ivan Albright
"That Which I Should Have Done I Did Not Do(The Door)"

"Poor Room-There is No Time, No End, No Today, No Yesterday, No Tomorrow, Only the Forever, and Forever and Forever”

It's some deep stuff if you take the time to look. It makes you think and thinking about something is the key to "Don't Do"

Old 02-22-2015, 12:22 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tugly
Deep in OT land: One of my favorite modern artists is Bev Doolittle - a total lesson in attention to detail.

Speaking of detail, my favorite classic artists are Rembrandt, and his inspiration - Caravaggio. They were making masterpieces without the benefit of modern art supplies - at a time when native Americans were making cave drawings. I was in Amsterdam at the time their work was on display in the Van Gogh museum (walking distance from the Heineken brewery and the er... uh... red light district). It's not like here in the States where there's a barrier between you and the artwork - I was able to get close enough (with my reading glasses on) to breathe on the paintings. The brush strokes... oh man. How did they do that 500 and 600 years ago?

Needless to say - I was moved by the experience.
Amsterdam & Art mixed with everything else it has to offer that is Very Cool. Not saying you did anything other then check out the museums. But when in Rome.... just saying????????

Old 02-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
That top one reminded me of some doors I saw in Guanajuato, Mexico.

I suppose I'd better get back on topic:

Don't let these rigs get the better of you - walking away and clearing your head is another valid troubleshooting technique.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Chevmn56
Tuned
DONT get in a hurry....... especially when your changing the oil on a hot engine right before you need to go to work and drop the plug in the 5 gallon bucket........when i finally got the plug out (magnet) i was in such a hurry that i forgot to take the 5 gallon bucket out backed up and had the valdez slick down the driveway.......I ended up missing work and caused myself about 4hrs of clean up plus the loss in pay!!!!

Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^^^oh man that sucks.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:08 PM
wildlifer
Senior User
Thumbs up

I admit, it did make me feel a little less alone in my "The Easy Way Is Boring" club...great thread!

expect the dealership (or any shop, for that matter) to have mechanics old enough to know these rigs. Many of today's mechanics were breaking their voices about the time the last 7.3L made a brand new Superduty sink the suspension.
This is a huge one for me. While I do some of my own stuff, the real job has gotten overwhelming, my time is pretty much nonexistent & therefore, extremely valuable. I'm poor, but when it's got to be done, I want it done RIGHT the FIRST time, and I want it FLAWLESS. While gratifying for what little pride I have, nothing makes me run out the door faster than walking into a shop (where most have already given you the mental "clueless woman" assessment), and I know the specs better than they do. *facepalm*

Which is why I will stalk my diesel guy to the ends of the earth, poor thing. But he spent 10 yrs working for Ford and now runs his own shop & specializes in the 7.3L. He's a bit younger than me (mid-30's) but he knows every bolt on the thing, he shares my philosophy of PRACTICAL & FUNCTIONAL, & is that rare breed of honest who will go the extra mile to try & save me money he knows I don't have. Priceless.

That gives me more time to do OTHER stupid things...by the way, don't stand directly under a heavy dead pine limb while you whack at it with a hatchet after a sudden impulse to "clean things up a bit." Gravity's a real downer...

Old 02-23-2015, 07:20 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Chevmn56
...i forgot to take the 5 gallon bucket out backed up and had the valdez slick down the driveway....
Oh man. Oh man-o-man. Even the squirrels would need earplugs to protect them from my mouth if that happened in my driveway, then the wife would pick up when I taper off.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 PM
sgarder
Senior User
Damn, I would rather take one in the head (by the hood)!!! Because of this thread I got the hood struts replaced tonight. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Don't do the doo