1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros and cons of the v10

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:16 PM
whdahel
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pros and cons of the v10

What are the pros and cons of a v10.... how many miles can I get out of a well maintained one??

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are you comparing it to?

I purchased mine nearly 2 years ago, at 180K miles, with no known maint. history. Several fluids were obviously in need of changing, the plugs were well worn, a boot was cracked. Trusting my mechanic, I put the time/money into doing what the truck needed (or when unsure, may need). It now runs smooth and reliably, currently at 184K.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 PM
afbrian13
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get crap for mpg, but its a 6.8l. Plenty of power. Handles better than a diesel. Normal priced MX costs. The best is in the winter when it fires right up.Cost a lot less to purchase.

I guess drawback would be less mpg, less easy power mods, and you cant pretend you drive a semi.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:39 AM
asdrew
Tuned
I love mine for the reliability, power, low cost, and durability.

The cons, which I choose not to bother me, are low mpg (yet NONE of the engines get you Prius mileage) and that the HP & torque come in at a much higher RPM than a diesel. Also, at plug changing time you pay for 10 and not 8.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:42 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Pro - fun to drive, quiet, can pull a decent load, easy maintenance. Still offered new in the 450/550/650 trucks which says something.

Con - MPG or would it be GPM. Ha! Besides using fuel quickly I can't think of other issues.

I enjoy my 08 thoroughly. Highest power motor I've ever owned (have only owned gas) so it's good for me.

Best ones are 3V built after October, can't remember the exact date. Basically they have all the bugs worked out with different spark plug designs. (2V can come loose, 3V can get stuck in the head) The updated ones have brown coil boots for easi ID.

Longevity? Some have hundreds of thousands of miles. A couple on here have had catastrophic failures with a valve issue (3V 08's) with ~150,000mi. It's built to last but you just never know. If you're buying a high mileage unit you run the risk of issues AS WITH ANY HIGH MILE VEHICLE.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:55 AM
asdrew
Tuned
I left off the grin factor when you romp it and it launches onto the interstate.

Also, its presence in so many larger heavier-duty vehicles does say something as MDSuperDuty points out.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
A viable point- while the V10 does get lower MPG, gas costs considerably less than diesel fuel. Depending on what diesel engine you are comparing to, the V10 can actually cost less to fuel. I have a close friend with a 2013 Duramax, and he averages 14. He drives a LOT, so that average is reliable. I get an honest 12, so I spend less on fuel than he does.
I went from a diesel (12 valve) to the V10, and couldn't be happier. I loved my diesel, but for the reasons stated- easy cold weather startups, the V10 warms up quicker, cheaper maintenance, and a V10 truck sells for less (typically) than the same truck with a diesel engine- I am very happy with my truck. Plus, there are a LOT fewer V10's out there- everyone and their brother either drives a diesel, or wants one. It is fun to own something that isn't as common.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:47 AM
willtim1234
Mountain Pass
258,000 trouble free miles.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:50 AM
F150Dad
Senior User
Stepped out of an 03 Duramax into my 08 V10. Truck only had 34,350 when I bought it back in November 2014.

The mpg (GPM ) was hard to swallow, but with the difference in price in my area, I am at even money or a little on the plus side. Once gas gets closer than about .58 to .63 cents to diesel, the advantage starts to slip away. Near me now, diesel running about .85 cents more.

Unique and good pulling trucks, but they DO NOT pull like a diesel. They like to rev, so don't be afraid to let it rip.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:09 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Cons may depend on what year your looking at. I'm not that familiar with the history myself, but earlier ones had some shortcomings... plugs, heads, exhaust, etc... so far my 09 has been great.

As far as MPG I've been very happy. Better than the motor it replaced (460), and from the few 5.4's in the family its right there with em (14-15mpg unloaded hwy). Compared to my little F150 with the puny 4.2L I say the V10 is more efficient. Only about 2-3 mpg less and 50% heavier vehicle atleast with twice the seating, triple the cargo capacity and 5X the towing capacity. Not to mention double the engine power roughly.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:29 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I had a '08 F350 crew cab, Lariat 3v V10, 4:30's and loved it. I put on a tuner from Mike@5star and that tuner really woke it up. It is fun to watch peoples faces as you take off from a dead stop and they realize they have just been beat by a 8000lb truck. I really loved the quickness off the line it makes it easy to merge onto traffic or make a left turn in heavy traffic when there is just enough room. A diesel in those scenarios would have a little delay then take off, but the v10 has that quickness that really comes in handy, I miss that. I never minded the bad fuel economy after all it is a 8000lb truck. It does pull very well and it can rev if you need it to but with good mid range and low end torque it really doesn't need to. There aren't many things you can do to make it more powerful except a tuner and gears, they were never that popular to have a good aftermarket following.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:51 PM
whdahel
Junior User
The truck I was looking at is a 99. I'm wanting to replace my 88 f250 with a 351.. ( I know it's a dog but it still gets it done). It will be my third vehicle and will mainly be a wood hauler and possibly a plow truck. Here in NE ohio the salt has eaten away at my 88 and I'm not going to have a choice but to replace it soon. The first year for v10 was 99 right?

Old 02-15-2015, 07:33 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Originally Posted by F150Dad
Stepped out of an 03 Duramax into my 08 V10. Truck only had 34,350 when I bought it back in November 2014.

The mpg (GPM ) was hard to swallow, but with the difference in price in my area, I am at even money or a little on the plus side. Once gas gets closer than about .58 to .63 cents to diesel, the advantage starts to slip away. Near me now, diesel running about .85 cents more.

Unique and good pulling trucks, but they DO NOT pull like a diesel. They like to rev, so don't be afraid to let it rip.
You are right- as good as the V10 is, it still doesn't pull like a diesel. But, sometimes that depends on what you are using as a context. My previous truck was a 12 valve Dodge with a 4 speed auto and 3.55's. Moving to the V10 with a 6 speed manual and 4.30's did make an improved difference. It still doesn't have the torque of the diesel- I miss that added extra when the turbo spools- but given the total comparison, I would rather have the V10 with a manual, than a diesel with an old school auto.
After driving a diesel for years, I still haven't gotten out of the habit of shutting the truck off at bank and restaurant drive-thru's. That V10 is SO much quieter.
I also bought mine with super low mileage- 31,000. I look forward to a LONG life, if I can keep rust at bay.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:51 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by whdahel
The truck I was looking at is a 99. I'm wanting to replace my 88 f250 with a 351.. ( I know it's a dog but it still gets it done). It will be my third vehicle and will mainly be a wood hauler and possibly a plow truck. Here in NE ohio the salt has eaten away at my 88 and I'm not going to have a choice but to replace it soon. The first year for v10 was 99 right?
It was one of the first and lowest powered although likely a step up from your current truck.

If it's a high mileage unit (greater that 150k) then any reliability questions, in my opinion, just go out the window as anything can happen to any motor, gas or diesel, within those miles. Even if well cared for or not with the first making one just feel better. It could last another 200k or explode in 2 days.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:20 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
It was one of the first and lowest powered although likely a step up from your current truck.

If it's a high mileage unit (greater that 150k) then any reliability questions, in my opinion, just go out the window as anything can happen to any motor, gas or diesel, within those miles. Even if well cared for or not with the first making one just feel better. It could last another 200k or explode in 2 days.
Often, the mileage on the engine is the primary consideration. 150,000+ miles on the body, electronics, and drivetrain is also a component- today's engines can outlast the rest of the truck. Those things can't be overlooked in a high mileage truck. I have a friend who just bought an 04 F250/6.0 with 146,000 miles. I'm not sure that anything was assessed, other than the exterior appearance and seat of the pants feel. Who knows what the rest of it is like?
For me, the first thing that I look at (but absolutely not the only thing) are the lower, inside door seams- that tells me something of how attentive the previous owner was. My experience is that if a person is retentive about caring for their truck, they pay attention to and take care of everything.

Quick Reply: pros and cons of the v10