6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 6.7 Engine gone @104,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:52 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
I thought tuned and deleted trucks never broke and were more valuable in some areas when it came time to trade it in.
maybe true if you dont crank it to performance and rod the **** out of it. it will certainly run better and last much longer with less problems if you just do a delete and dont add power and just drive it normally, hower i think its pretty much illegal to sell a vehicle without emissions anywhere in the USA unless its strictly for offroad use.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:26 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Yep, selling or leasing with modified emissions for on-road use is illegal. I bet in states where there isn't emissions testing there are private sales occurring though.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:51 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Yep, selling or leasing with modified emissions for on-road use is illegal. I bet in states where there isn't emissions testing there are private sales occurring though.
Even in states WITH emissions testing there are private, dealer, trade ins all day everyday. Sometimes the "deleted" concept can be confusing. I'm sure if a dealer just bought trucks and removed the emissions off of them for every single one, something might get done, but I see on average atleast 2-3 trucks on the lots that have been deleted. These trucks range in the years of 2008-2014, haven't seen too many 2015s out there yet.

EDIT: Just read the whole thread. SMH Sultan....

Old 05-14-2015, 03:43 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tofan
Even in states WITH emissions testing there are private, dealer, trade ins all day everyday. Sometimes the "deleted" concept can be confusing. I'm sure if a dealer just bought trucks and removed the emissions off of them for every single one, something might get done, but I see on average atleast 2-3 trucks on the lots that have been deleted. These trucks range in the years of 2008-2014, haven't seen too many 2015s out there yet.

EDIT: Just read the whole thread. SMH Sultan....
This one? someone necroed it and then someone else attacked me in it for stuff i said in a different one compared to this one, haha! At any rate whatever, either they cover it or they dont, theyve screwed me over enough over the years that i dont feel bad if i get a free transmission out of the deal. Long story short i live in oil country but i dont work in oil business and theyve jacked their prices because of the oil boom and are ****ing everyone cause oil people can pay it and dont even blink, but its way out of wack for the average joes income and prices anywhere else in the country. pure greed basically.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Ford is starting to crack down on the trade in's. They are beginning to get smart and check all that stuff out.

So be sure to put it back to stock before selling.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Wow, this thread sure has a wide variety of subjects... from a blown engine to tankless water heaters to bad tranny because of tuning.....

I am so confused!

Old 05-15-2015, 09:07 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by Thom12
Wow, this thread sure has a wide variety of subjects... from a blown engine to tankless water heaters to bad tranny because of tuning.....

I am so confused!

yea indeed, some clown necroed it and attacked me in it for stuff i was saying in a different thread vs what I said here about dealers being crooks, some people cant stay focused very well, haha! I stand by my posts, most dealers ive ever dealt with are dirty crooks, and thats a fact.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 AM
docstromain
New User
short block replacement

I'm pretty bummed out myself. Just got may 2012 6.7 back from the dealer. 65k miles and had to replace the short block due to main bearing failure. Thankfully under warranty, but have also had to replace radiator at 45K miles (my cost), ac core at 40k miles (my cost). Got really scared of mechanical costs so bought an extended warranty (more money), thankfully because since then I have had two front end suspension issues and a waste gate issue. I love the truck when running but seems to be in the shop as much as it is on the road doing its job. Probably will have to sell it prior to warranty end. I can't afford to have one failure after another. Ford needs to work on their quality if they want to have repeat buyers.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE... Very sorry to hear of your engine failure.. The law of averages will bring more cases like this to light within Internet Forums - but hopefully will not ultimately prove there are systemic design flaws or QC issues..

Now the radiator on the other hand is a design issue that has been proven out for almost every one of these trucks built on this platform/series - and the fact that Ford has not acknowledged the flaw is a burr under my blanket...
I haven't had any issues like this with my truck and I hope I don't - but if I do, my dealer will be expected to take care of me...
I did not beat them up on the price of my truck and while I did not pay MSRP, I did not get much knocked off of it. I don't mind putting shoes on their kids feet or food on their tables, but by God, they had better take good care of me when the time comes...

Old 05-25-2015, 07:37 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by docstromain
I'm pretty bummed out myself. Just got may 2012 6.7 back from the dealer. 65k miles and had to replace the short block due to main bearing failure. Thankfully under warranty, but have also had to replace radiator at 45K miles (my cost), ac core at 40k miles (my cost). Got really scared of mechanical costs so bought an extended warranty (more money), thankfully because since then I have had two front end suspension issues and a waste gate issue. I love the truck when running but seems to be in the shop as much as it is on the road doing its job. Probably will have to sell it prior to warranty end. I can't afford to have one failure after another. Ford needs to work on their quality if they want to have repeat buyers.
what was your wastegate issue? Can you explain more what it was doing and what they had to do to fix it? I think im having that too but other than that my trucks been great and zero issues with my last 3 Fords prior to this one. I think they are far better than the competition when it comes to quality, at least in my experience its been that way. Far more issues with the other brands ive purchased.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
Never, ever, ever, ever take a vehicle to a dealer once the warranty is out. I meant to say never, never, never, ever take to dealership after warranty .... ever!!
Originally Posted by SultanGris
This for sure. Dealers are crooks, if they aren't doing it free don't let them even touch it, will cost you about double a normal mechanic, lol!
I generally use indie shops for jobs I don't want to do unless it's a warranty repair, but I had a major pulling under braking issue with my '96 7.3 that an indie shop just kept throwing parts at to the tune of almost $2K without ever fixing the problem.

The indie shop suggested taking it to the dealer to get their opinion, so I did, and got a call back a few hours later that the truck was fixed and the bill was $110; all it needed was an alignment.

Needless to say I was a little unhappy that I spent $2K on repairs that could have been taken care of by a $110 alignment, and the best part is the truck has to go back to that indie shop because the front rotors they threw on there are already warped.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 AM
River19
Elder User
And situations like this are why when I dumped my beloved 7.3L a couple weeks ago, I went to Ram and a gasser....I didn't need the modern diesel for what I tow and my two buddies with a 2011 and 2012 6.7 PSD have had nothing but issues. The 2011 went into limp mode stranding my friend again on Saturday afternoon....don't know what is wrong with it now.

It just ain't worth the aggravation unless people really need the extra towing capacity and fuel economy. I'm on winter blend diesel for 6months or more each year so the fuel economy never makes the numbers work for my personal situation.

I sure hope Ford steps up for people with these issues, to spend $50-70K on a PSD and finally get it paid off and then never be able to have reliability in the out years is just not a good situation.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:54 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by River19
And situations like this are why when I dumped my beloved 7.3L a couple weeks ago, I went to Ram and a gasser....I didn't need the modern diesel for what I tow and my two buddies with a 2011 and 2012 6.7 PSD have had nothing but issues. The 2011 went into limp mode stranding my friend again on Saturday afternoon....don't know what is wrong with it now.

It just ain't worth the aggravation unless people really need the extra towing capacity and fuel economy. I'm on winter blend diesel for 6months or more each year so the fuel economy never makes the numbers work for my personal situation.

I sure hope Ford steps up for people with these issues, to spend $50-70K on a PSD and finally get it paid off and then never be able to have reliability in the out years is just not a good situation.
id have never got rid of that, the 7.3 are awesome for not having problems, lol

Old 05-26-2015, 11:22 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by SultanGris
id have never got rid of that, the 7.3 are awesome for not having problems, lol
Yes, I am fully aware, I loved it, loved the drivetrain.....the rest of the truck was a piece of **** though and was rusting through and causing me all sorts of issues......so it was nickle and diming me to death at $500-1500 increments. I loved that thing, but I'm a realist.....the roof was just repainted after having some rust fixed and they were honest with me...that roof is about 2-3 years from being toast. Bed was starting to go but I preserved it with some work. bed rails are basically the strength of tin foil now and needed to be replaced as well.

Constant brake maintenance, axle seals, needed glow plugs, etc.

So, at the end of the day, trade her while she was worth something or throw $2500-5000 into her every year and watch her rust to holy heck. I decided to trade her. Got a decent trade and the one rig that would make me trade it....everyone is different.

You can't hide the fact that a truck is 15 years old at some point.

Mixed emotions as I know I would have enjoyed the next 2 years with it, but the thought of my wife stranded on the highway with horses in the trailer is the thing that wakes me up in cold sweats.....so we all have decisions to make.

I looked hard at the 6.7PSD....and the 6.2 gasser, plus the Cummins, then I was honest and thought about my needs and the added cost and maint. of the new oil burners, and I just don't need one. 410HP 429ft lbs is plenty for me towing 5000-8000lbs.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:50 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by River19
Yes, I am fully aware, I loved it, loved the drivetrain.....the rest of the truck was a piece of **** though and was rusting through and causing me all sorts of issues......so it was nickle and diming me to death at $500-1500 increments. I loved that thing, but I'm a realist.....the roof was just repainted after having some rust fixed and they were honest with me...that roof is about 2-3 years from being toast. Bed was starting to go but I preserved it with some work. bed rails are basically the strength of tin foil now and needed to be replaced as well.

Constant brake maintenance, axle seals, needed glow plugs, etc.

So, at the end of the day, trade her while she was worth something or throw $2500-5000 into her every year and watch her rust to holy heck. I decided to trade her. Got a decent trade and the one rig that would make me trade it....everyone is different.

You can't hide the fact that a truck is 15 years old at some point.

Mixed emotions as I know I would have enjoyed the next 2 years with it, but the thought of my wife stranded on the highway with horses in the trailer is the thing that wakes me up in cold sweats.....so we all have decisions to make.

I looked hard at the 6.7PSD....and the 6.2 gasser, plus the Cummins, then I was honest and thought about my needs and the added cost and maint. of the new oil burners, and I just don't need one. 410HP 429ft lbs is plenty for me towing 5000-8000lbs.
yea fair enough, hard to keep the rust off forever if you live somewhere salty. they should outlaw that crap, it just destroys vehicles. Im still driving 1967, 70,75, and 2 79 ford trucks, but not in the winter on salty roads, they last forever then. If you can afford the the 6.7s are supremely awesome too. Loving it other than the wastegate issue im having. I deleted mine so i have way less problems to deal with down the road.

Quick Reply: 2011 6.7 Engine gone @104,000 miles