1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Advance Track and ABS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 02:22 PM
mrjss
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Advance Track and ABS Issues

Fingers crossed that someone has dealt with this before, because Ford service has not been able to fix the issue.

2011 Ford Expedition, V8 ( RWD, AWD, and 4x4 )
50K miles

#1 - For no reason, on a dry road, the ABS kicked in when I was slowing down "gradually" at a stop light. Same grinding noise just like when your ABS kicks in when your tires are skidding. However, no skidding or fast stopping was taking place...again, I was slowing down "gradually" (not suddenly) to a stop light.

#2 - Tried to take off after light turned green and the SUV felt like it was struggling to get acceleration power and the Traction Control light was flickering on the dash. Again, completely dry road. The "Service Advance Track" light came on. I found out that the SUV wasn't losing power, instead the Traction Control system was thinking the tires we're spinning and was trying to control them from doing so. Highly dangerous in the middle of an intersection making a turn.

#3 - Took it to a Ford service center locally. They reset the onboard computer and said it was fixed. Same exact problem happened within 20 minutes driving after I picked up the SUV from the shop.

#4 - Took it to a different Ford Service center in my city. They said codes said it was a bad ABS module. So, they replaced at $500+. Said they test drove it after, no issues. On may home from picking up the SUV from the shop....the same exact issue happened again ( Traction control trying to regulate tire spins even though it was very dry road) , only this time it happened after I went over a small pot hole bump in the road. Again, the Service Advance Track light came on and stayed on.

#5 - Took it back to the same Ford service center. The code again said bad ABS module. So they assumed that the one they put in must have been defective. Ordered and installed a new ABS module at no charge. Two days after I got the SUV back, the same thing I explained above started happening again....during stop lights, going over bumps, etc.

#5 - Took the SUV back to Ford. This time they keep it for a week. Finally, their solution was to reset the computer ( I told them thats whats the first Ford service center did). Nevertheless they said it was fixed after they test drove for a day. You guessed it....after I leave the shop ad get 15 miles away from them , the same stuff starts happening again, I went over a bump on the road ( very, very small bump , mind you...normal road wear and tear stuff).

I am at my wits end with this. The Ford guys at the shop are trying, but they don't know what the problem is unless the code tells them, and all the code ever says is ABS Module.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I would not care if the light keeps coming on. Its the ABS brakes kicking in for no reason, and the Traction Control system regulating my acceleration in the middle of an intersection that is highly dangerous.

I really appreciate any ideas please.

MRJSS

Old 02-10-2015, 02:50 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Seems quite simple to me, the bump being the trigger makes it a wheel sensor issue or a broken wire to the sensor issue. Which wheel hit the bump when the problem reappeared, and was it the same wheel each time?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:39 PM
mrjss
New User
Alloro - Advance Track and ABS Issues

First, thanks truly for responding.

Your question is a good point. While the problem seems to happen at stop lights, etc.....it does tend to happen most once I have hit a bump on the right side of the car. I am unsure which tire (front or back) however. I am pretty sure that Ford Service told me they checked the wheel sensors, but NOT so sure about them checking for any broken (or at least problematic) wire to the wheel sensor.

Wondering if this "wire" issue is something I check out (fix) myself? Thoughts?

again, thanks much!

Old 02-11-2015, 02:16 PM
alloro
From your description I would start at the right front wheel and start feeling and tugging on wires. I say this because for both a bump and stopping the front right suspension goes down. When stopping the back goes up and is opposite of what a bump does. Have the front wheel hubs ever been changed?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:49 AM
mrjss
New User
Thanks for the guidance Alloro, I will try this approach and provide feedback.

Regarding the front wheel hubs ever being replaced. I do not know the answer. I bought the Expedition used ( only a year old, 20K miles). The hubs have not been replaced since I've owned it.

thanks again.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:23 PM
Scarletgem
New User
Same thing happened to me tonight. It was momentarily...abs pulsing through brakes, traction control light on dash blinking, brake pedal was feeling spongy...then it all went away. Let me know if you figured it out...

Old 03-22-2016, 10:04 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Scarletgem
abs pulsing through brakes, traction control light on dash blinking, brake pedal was feeling spongy
You need the ABS codes read to know what's going on, otherwise you'll be guessing until the cows come home.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Scarletgem
New User
Thanks for the reply

We will do that. Just happened last night and went away about as fast...when i got home started checking the forums to see if anyone else had had this problem...seems to be rare, but I did find a couple. And it might have been a computer glitch I suppose.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In order to read ABS codes, buy a OBD scanner like the OBDLink MX Bluetooth or similar, the cheaper ones sometimes requires modifications to access the MS CAN network. Then download FORScan either on a Windows laptop (free) or on a iOS or Android device ($5), and it'll allow you to read all codes, including ABS codes.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:41 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
What alloro said. Plus, check the wheel bearings for the slightest amount of lateral play. If the wheel bearing allows an movement and you have a marginal wheel speed sensor, the tone ring teeth will not be in alignment with the wheel speed sensor's magnet and the wheel speed sensor will go intermittent. The ABS module will think the wheel is not rotating, ABS pulsates that brake, and brake pedal goes mushy.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:18 PM
patricia white
New User
Originally Posted by mrjss
Fingers crossed that someone has dealt with this before, because Ford service has not been able to fix the issue.

2011 Ford Expedition, V8 ( RWD, AWD, and 4x4 )
50K miles

#1 - For no reason, on a dry road, the ABS kicked in when I was slowing down "gradually" at a stop light. Same grinding noise just like when your ABS kicks in when your tires are skidding. However, no skidding or fast stopping was taking place...again, I was slowing down "gradually" (not suddenly) to a stop light.

#2 - Tried to take off after light turned green and the SUV felt like it was struggling to get acceleration power and the Traction Control light was flickering on the dash. Again, completely dry road. The "Service Advance Track" light came on. I found out that the SUV wasn't losing power, instead the Traction Control system was thinking the tires we're spinning and was trying to control them from doing so. Highly dangerous in the middle of an intersection making a turn.

#3 - Took it to a Ford service center locally. They reset the onboard computer and said it was fixed. Same exact problem happened within 20 minutes driving after I picked up the SUV from the shop.

#4 - Took it to a different Ford Service center in my city. They said codes said it was a bad ABS module. So, they replaced at $500+. Said they test drove it after, no issues. On may home from picking up the SUV from the shop....the same exact issue happened again ( Traction control trying to regulate tire spins even though it was very dry road) , only this time it happened after I went over a small pot hole bump in the road. Again, the Service Advance Track light came on and stayed on.

#5 - Took it back to the same Ford service center. The code again said bad ABS module. So they assumed that the one they put in must have been defective. Ordered and installed a new ABS module at no charge. Two days after I got the SUV back, the same thing I explained above started happening again....during stop lights, going over bumps, etc.

#5 - Took the SUV back to Ford. This time they keep it for a week. Finally, their solution was to reset the computer ( I told them thats whats the first Ford service center did). Nevertheless they said it was fixed after they test drove for a day. You guessed it....after I leave the shop ad get 15 miles away from them , the same stuff starts happening again, I went over a bump on the road ( very, very small bump , mind you...normal road wear and tear stuff).

I am at my wits end with this. The Ford guys at the shop are trying, but they don't know what the problem is unless the code tells them, and all the code ever says is ABS Module.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I would not care if the light keeps coming on. Its the ABS brakes kicking in for no reason, and the Traction Control system regulating my acceleration in the middle of an intersection that is highly dangerous.

I really appreciate any ideas please.

MRJSS
Hi. Just wondering if your problem was ever solved as I am having the same issue. The mechanics just put 2 new computers in my truck. Neither computer will accept the code it requires. Replaced everything else it could have been. It’s been over a year since we’ve been trying to get this fixed. I’m at my wits end.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Pat

Old 08-10-2020, 03:32 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Which computers did they replace?

Did they download and save the original computers software before swapping computers and then reload the original software onto the new computer?