Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2009 Escape TPMS retrain

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:23 PM
fbconvert
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Escape TPMS retrain

I'm new to this forum but not to car forums in general. I am looking for help with my wife's 2009 escape TPMS. I read a few threads on here about his topic but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

The facts:
2009 4x4 V6 Escape with Valve stem mounted TPMS

I am getting a tire pressure sensor malfunction fault. The warning light is on and the error message is displayed on the little screen in the gauge cluster.

What I have tried:
First I should say I have replace to defective sensor twice now

1) I put the escape in tpms train mode by hitting the hazard switch off/on about 6 times.

2) I used the train tool to train all the tires but there is one that is giving me trouble and will not train.

3) I tried deflating the problem tire and inflating it to the specified pressure given on the be pillar of the escape (30 psig)... after inflating it I tried to retain it with no luck.

4) I tried rotating the tires and as I mentioned earlier I have replaces the problem sensor twice. Still can't can't get the problem tire to train.

My thoughts:
1) I don't think this is a module error because I can train the other tires and since I rotated them I know their position is not a factor.

2) its possible that I have got two defective tpms sensors but I think that is unlikely.

3) I have read of another procedure to put the escape in tpms train mode that requires you to turn the ignition on/off, step on the break pedal, tap your head and rub your belly, etc... but I have not tried this method. Is there a difference from this train mode verse hitting the hazard switch on/off about 6 times?

4) Does the train tool only work on previously trained sensors? do I need to register the new TPMS sensor with the TPMS module? I have an OBDII tool that connects to scanXL software on my laptop which included the ford proprietary protocol. I looked for a way to program a tpms sensor (similar to how I did it with my toyota) but couldn't find the option.

Any thoughts or helpful information would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Old 02-10-2015, 07:05 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never heard of the hazard switch method, always used the ignition switch method: press brake, three times ignition on/off, left in ON, press brake, three more times ignition ON/OFF leaving it in the ON and you get a beep and dash shows train LF. Then RF, RR and LR. Horn sounds at every wheel.

Are you using the correct TPMS sensor? Not one that you have to program first?

I'm on my fifth sensor with less than 12K on my 2009!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:28 AM
fbconvert
New User
Thanks I'll give that a try tonight. I am pretty sure the sensor is OEM. I took a picture of it before I had the tire shop install it just for reference.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 AM
fbconvert
New User
Well I'll be... That did the trick. I put it into train mode via the ignition way just as you described and it recognized the problem tire right away! I wish it didn't take me six months to figure this out but I feel pretty good now that it's fixed!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:55 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fbconvert
Well I'll be... That did the trick. I put it into train mode via the ignition way just as you described and it recognized the problem tire right away! I wish it didn't take me six months to figure this out but I feel pretty good now that it's fixed!
That's great!

If the procedure stops at the LF or RF and you want to know if there is possibly another defective sensor just start the procedure again ignoring the dash prompt and start with the next position in line.