Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tool bag for picking up my new PowerStroke 7.3 - And now, Skippy's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found a copy of AutoEnginuity online (free) but it doesn't have the Ford specialization. Will AE work fine without it ?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
in order to read all the sensors and available info on our trucks as well as run specific tests you will need the Ford bundle

Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Here is some reading for you....lots of things to bring to make sure you are covered when on the road.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...you-bring.html

Tim M

Old 02-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by timf150
Here is some reading for you....lots of things to bring to make sure you are covered when on the road.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...you-bring.html

Tim M

Thanks Tim! I don't have a bag big enough for all that stuff, but I'm hoping I've got the basics. The AE with ford enhancement is waayyy too expensive for me right now. I'm still trying to find it free on the internet. If I do have to buy it it'll be free for anyone else that wants it, lol. Too much money to waste on just me.

The "ship" date is this Sunday/Monday. I'll let you guys know how it goes

Old 02-11-2015, 01:08 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Glowplugger
...The AE with ford enhancement is waayyy too expensive for me right now. I'm still trying to find it free on the internet....
Even if you found it free on the internet, the OBDII adapter is integrated with the software - they don't work without each other. I wouldn't burn any time on that, I would get a wireless OBDII adapter and an OBDII app for your portable device or laptop, assuming you have one. If you don't have a portable device or a laptop, we can rustle up a Ouija board.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tugly
Even if you found it free on the internet, the OBDII adapter is integrated with the software - they don't work without each other. I wouldn't burn any time on that, I would get a wireless OBDII adapter and an OBDII app for your portable device or laptop, assuming you have one. If you don't have a portable device or a laptop, we can rustle up a Ouija board.

I have a BLatz II OBDII reader that may work with this general AE (not ford specific). I'm going to load a laptop up with it and see if it works when I get there.

About the oil filter, is it obvious on the 7.3 Diesel when I crawl under it like most trucks, just flapping around in the breeze or is it like the old '62 where it's covered in a canister and you have to look for it?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:05 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh it'll be obvious. It's on the driver's side rear, holds about 2 qts of oil I think. I like using a small punch to put a hole in it, let it and the oil cooler drain into a pan first, then spin it off. Otherwise, I've never figured out how to get it off without making a mess.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Oh it'll be obvious. It's on the driver's side rear, holds about 2 qts of oil I think. I like using a small punch to put a hole in it, let it and the oil cooler drain into a pan first, then spin it off. Otherwise, I've never figured out how to get it off without making a mess.
Great point!! ^^^

Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
...I like using a small punch to put a hole in it, let it and the oil cooler drain into a pan first, then spin it off....
...or if you're impatient like me:

Old 02-14-2015, 10:57 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

...or if you're impatient like me:
Knowing my luck I'd lose my grip on the drill and put a hole in the pan. With a punch, the oil doesn't leak out until the punch comes out. Which is good for those times when I forget the drain pan.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Just an update here for all that helped. We made it back just fine. That powerstroke is a BEAST! 15ish hours @ 60-65 MPH in OD (ZF6 I think) and she was just humming along at about 1700 RPM.

We consistently got about 17.5 MPG. The only problem we had was that the PO had unscrewed the center seat seatbelt bolt and just shoved the bracket back in the hole (the Redhead was unsafe for about 200 miles ), fixed that at a Pep Boys with a star socket. And the brake fluid was running out from somewhere. I went through 4 of the smaller bottles of it coming home.
Oh, and the AC (I think) bearings are shot. They squeak like nails on a chalk board constantly. That was annoying, but that old engine - she just hummed along.

The fuel filter that was in it was covered in rusty fuel. I'll post pics tomorrow. I washed the bowl out with a can of diesel and replaced the filter. Good to go.

Got the oil changed too, and the air filter, but the clips are broken off so I duct taped it together.

Now to get a plan together and make her reliable and good again.

Thanks for all the help guys. I couldn't have done it without ya!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:12 AM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Glad to hear it was a easy satisfying trip home. The 7.3! " Take care of it, it will take of you! "

Easy way to post pic's from your device is just tap the little yellow post card looking symbol at the top of quick post box.

Lets see the truck

Old 02-17-2015, 01:12 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Job Glowplugger !! Glad to hear it ran out good over the road.

Now as far as the brake fluid goes check the line on the left frame rail going to the back they are known to rust out and leak. Now as far as the air cleaner goes sucking dirty air can lead to real problems for the turbo and engine. So what I did to my air box was drill and wire tie it down so it can't leak. Down the road look into getting a better air cleaner set up. I myself want a AIS.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:16 AM
SilentlySoaring
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear he got his 'new to him' 7.3 back home safely. We've got 330k on our '01 Excursion and I just love her more and more after every trip. He'll probably spend a few $$$ for needed items over the next few months. But that will slow and he'll be spending $$$ on things he wants. As I read this, I just now remembered that I've got an AIS in the box in one of our buildings. I put it on the Ex back in '04 and got an AFE Stage II less than 2 months later. Perhaps someone on here could make good use of this AIS kit (if I can find it).

Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilentlySoaring
Glad to hear he got his 'new to him' 7.3 back home safely. We've got 330k on our '01 Excursion and I just love her more and more after every trip. He'll probably spend a few $$$ for needed items over the next few months. But that will slow and he'll be spending $$$ on things he wants. As I read this, I just now remembered that I've got an AIS in the box in one of our buildings. I put it on the Ex back in '04 and got an AFE Stage II less than 2 months later. Perhaps someone on here could make good use of this AIS kit (if I can find it).
As you can see from my photo my air box is junk. So let's see if we can't work something out. PM sent

Quick Reply: Tool bag for picking up my new PowerStroke 7.3 - And now, Skippy's Build Thread