1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My First Build, 66 F100

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:31 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Build, 66 F100

Hey all you Ford fans out there. I just wanted to share the progress of my build that my wife and I are taking on. We have started with a 66 F100 that originally had a 240 with a 4 speed in it. The truck had been sitting for several years and hadn't been ran in a very long time. We purchased the truck and hauled it back home. Before we even unloaded it off the trailer we had it running and was out driving it around the block. We were kicking around the idea of selling it but decided to take on the project. The first thing we did was begin pulling the front clip off. We got all the pieces removed as best we could to possibly save them but the Iowa rust was just too much on the inner fenders. After that we removed the old power plant from the frame. We then removed the box from the truck. Had to use the old gas ax to cut the old bolts off. My grandpa and I then removed the cab from its old mounts and I had a few buddies come down and help take it from the frame. Next thing was to take some measurements on the wheel base and ride height in preparation for the 2003 Crown Vic front suspension install. We were able to get all the old I beam suspension out from under the truck with out destroying it in case someone should ever need it. So far this is all we have got done on our weekend project. Hoping to either put a 302 or a 351W in the front end of the truck, and really hoping to find a less rusty cab. The firewall is pretty bad on this one. Hopefully we can have back on the road this summer. Ill keep all of you guys posted with photos and the progress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well.

Attached Images         
Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 AM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Get to it!! haha Nice start

Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Well got a little more done today. Finished removing the I beams and mounts, cut off the spring buckets and engine mounts and cross member. Got the crown vic front suspension attached to the frame for mock up.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like a nice comfy environment to work on your project; although, in the great state of Iowa 'burr' can't imagine otherwise. Wow, total build up, if I may, suggest do not toss any of the items intend to replace until that particular project is complete, I found a few of the replacement parts did not include some of the components and I had to go back and remove it from the used item. Looking forward to your project progress.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Originally Posted by daveengelson
Looks like a nice comfy environment to work on your project; although, in the great state of Iowa 'burr' can't imagine otherwise. Wow, total build up, if I may, suggest do not toss any of the items intend to replace until that particular project is complete, I found a few of the replacement parts did not include some of the components and I had to go back and remove it from the used item. Looking forward to your project progress.
Thanks for the advise, all the pieces are being stored in some large crates. This Sunday it was a breezy 10 degrees outside and a comfy 65 inside. First winter the garage has been insulated. Totally worth the work.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Well got another good day in at the garage. Listened to Nascar race and got the crown vic front completely mounted and disassembled. Used some 1x1 square tube for the bolt tubes in the frame rails. Had some 5/8 inch plate sheared for the spacers on the top of the frame rail. Next up is to box in part of the front frame sections. Gonna lower the rear end 4 inches to level out the ride and completely rebuild the crown vic front suspension.

Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Here is a shot of the square tubes and spacer plates before we finished welding them in place.

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Well its been a couple weeks since my last post. A few things have gotten done since then and few more parts have been gathered. We got the frame boxed in at the front where the crown vic cradle mounts, got the rear end dismantled and removed from the truck. Ordered and mocked up our rear end lowering kit and even bought a tilt steering column from a 70's era econoline and some 07 Mustang wheels. Been working on sandblasting the frame and rear end housing so we can get it painted and get stuff mounted back on the frame.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Sounds like good progress

Old 04-17-2015, 11:33 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Been a while since I posted some progress on the truck. Well most of the frame is blasted, the rear axle housing has been blasted and primed. I got the front end of the frame boxed in and have found a parts truck with an almost rust free cab. I'll post some pictures after while. Thanks for reading.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:43 AM
campchef
Junior User
I wont comment much, but thank you for posting, I am learning as you are doing
Matthew

Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 AM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Well my job as an ag equipment mechanic has kind of put a halt to forward progress on the truck. But I have just recently purchased a complete parts truck for my 66. I bought a 64 f100 that originated in Oregon and ended up in Southeast Iowa, bout an hour from my home. My wife and I went and looked at the truck and bought it on the spot. The cab on it is almost completely rust free, just a little on the rear cab corners. It has several parts that we are going to use on our 66. Mainly the cab because the one on my 66 is very, very, very rusty. I know we are going to have to make some modifications to make the 64 cab fit the 66 frame but we got all the tools for that project and I know my grandfather and I are not afraid to tackle it.

Attached Images        
Old 04-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Very nice parts truck! Always a good score. Hopefully you can get some more work done soon. Jobs...Always get in the way

Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 AM
svolpone
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that steering column / box combination is worth a fortune, btw. very hard to come by. you should sell that separately if you don't need it. is it an automatic shifter on the column? if so, even better!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:34 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Well the truck is not an automatic. Its a 352 with a 4 speed. I will probably hold off on selling all the parts I don't need when my build is complete. But most of the frame and driveline components will probably end up on the trading post.

Quick Reply: My First Build, 66 F100