Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pivot bushing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Pivot bushing replacement

Well, my pivot bushing for the front TTB grenaded as in all the rubber basically disappeared. I was working on replacing it, now that's awful if you do it with the arm connected to the truck. I managed to take the nut/bolt out, even though I think it was backwards, which made retrieving the bolt a lot harder. I used my jack to leverage the pivot arm and push the pivot pushing out off the bracket in order to remove it, it did come off center, but just about 1/4 of an inch is still blocked by the bracket and there seems to be no way to separate it further. After that I found out I'm basically unable to push the outer metal sleeve out (tried some hammering to no avail)... any Ideas?. I'll try to post some pics later so you guys can see what I'm working with.

P.S.: If I'm unable to remove the sleeve I might just get me some poly bushings and re-use all the metal sleeve, but I have new complete rubber ones at hand right now which I would like to use, but at the moment I'm just in for whatever gets me back on the road sooner.

Last edited by Encho; 02-28-2015 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Making the text more clear for future reference.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:19 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Any ideas on this?.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:58 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was waiting for you to post pics because I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. Are you just trying to get the old bushings out of the axle? If so, that job is WAY easier if you just take a few extra minutes to remove the axle from the truck. Just disconnect the driveshaft, take off the brake calipers, unbolt the swaybar, shocks, radius arms, and coil springs and you can slide the axle halves out and work on them with no interference.

Look at the factory bushings and you'll see that they're flared on one end by the factory, this was done to keep them in place after installation. Cut or grind off the flared part, then press the bushings out with a ball joint press.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:58 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
You actually understood everything alright. I was trying to avoid having to take the axle out, but I get your point, even though taking the axle out is a bothersome job. And I have no press nearby so I'll have to find alternative transportation. I guess I'll try on the truck today and if things don't work out I'll take the darned thing off.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Yeah I know, it ain't much fun wrestling with that driver side axle beam but it is what it is. I tried doing the job with the axles in the truck and it's not fun. I realized that it would take me the same amount (or more) time and effort to do it in the truck versus just pulling the axle halves out, so I went ahead and did the remaining side that way.

You don't NEED a balljoint press, you can smash the old ones out with a hammer and chisel and drive the new ones with your BFH and maybe an impact socket or something about the same size. The press just makes life easier.

I tack welded the new bushings to the axle since I didn't have anything to flare the new ones out with, if you don't have a welder then you'll probably be alright just peening the new ones over a bit.

Forgot to mention radius arms have to get unbolted too of course, I edited that in my first post in case anyone comes across it in a search. I found it easier to reinstall the axle if you take the bracket off the frame and loosely install it on the end of the radius arm while you put it back together.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
BFH? Big ******* Hammer? or is my mind too soiled already?. I suspect a C-clamp could help me seat the new bushing without having to beat on it.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:34 PM
jaagen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes BFH= BIG EFFING HAMMER. Your mind isn't soild just yet

Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Yep you got it bud, BIG F'N HAMMER!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Took the stupid axle off, tomorrow I'll try to take the bushing out in the truck still, if it doesn't work I'll take the arm off.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when i did em on my 95 i fought for a whole day w/ the axle under the truck. admitted defeat the next day around noon, pulled the axle out. (literally the calipers, little bolt holding clip on top of coil spring and radius arm nuts.) Had them both out w/ new ones pounded in by the end of the day. Trust me, much easier job once you pull the axle out

Old 02-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Did you use a ball joint tool while trying on the truck? I guess that without pneumatic tools my only choice is to take the whole thing out...

Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
I didnt have any power tools either. Used a sawsall to cut the flare off the old ones, then used a chisel and bfh to pound em out. and the large socket and bfh to pound the new ones in.
protip: make sure to clean any/all rust out of the bores the bushings go into using 1/2 round file and emry cloth. makes install of the new ones much, MUCH smoother

Old 02-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Originally Posted by Blue Rebel
I didnt have any power tools either. Used a sawsall to cut the flare off the old ones, then used a chisel and bfh to pound em out. and the large socket and bfh to pound the new ones in.
protip: make sure to clean any/all rust out of the bores the bushings go into using 1/2 round file and emry cloth. makes install of the new ones much, MUCH smoother
You described exactly the procedure I'm planning to follow, except the BFH might only be a FH...

Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Hmmm... I just remembered I do have a BFH... a SLIDER HAMMER, I have to try that thing out with this.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:19 AM
donnor
More Turbo
pivot bushing replacement

I second the motion of just disassemble the whole front end. Not only does it make the bushing replacement easier you are able to check out all other components of your front suspension to repair or replace as needed. One note of experience here: Be sure to check both [left and right] pivot mounts for stress cracks and/or complete breaks. I had one of the ears for the left axle pivot broken completely off.

And, when reassembling, be a nice guy and use an anti-seize compound in locations such as the axle arm ends. Whether for a future owner or yourself it is a little time and money well spent.

dn.

Quick Reply: Pivot bushing replacement