1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Powder Coating Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:35 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powder Coating Question

I have always wanted to powder coat small parts in my shop but never had a oven to bake parts, well the wife just went out and dropped 4K on a new oven and I now have her hand me downs. I have plenty of power in the shop to run the oven but an concerned about fumes. I am going to build a cabinet for my new Jenn Air oven and was wondering if it could be stationary or should I mount it on wheels and bake outside?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:48 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
To roll it outside would be a good thing . No fumes in the shop. Make sure you have a heavy enough cord to power it though. But then if you go to make brownies...?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:57 PM
oscar1955
5th Wheeling

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been powder coating in my garage for 5 years using electric oven to bake the parts. Smell is not a big problem, rattle can painting has more fumes than powder coating.The oven is mounted on wheels because of smaller shop and being able to roll to outlet.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:25 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There is nearly no fumes when baking powdercoating. There are no solvents involved, you are merely melting the dry powdered coating. Get an accurate thermometer to calibrate the oven, allow it to come up to temp and stabilize.
These guys are a good source of supplies and information:
Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc

Old 02-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
A couple of friends have been powder coating in their garages and haven't complained about it. But haven't been there. One said he had coated some stuff in the kitchen when his wife was at the spa for the weekend (that was before he bought one for his garage. what about taking to your employer about putting it in your shop and doing some there between classes?

Old 02-08-2015, 07:55 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I powder coat too. My oven is in the garage. There are fumes, and I usually have a couple of doors open and it's not been an issue. In colder weather, I've kept the doors closed and I've never been concerned about it. I think you have more of a concern from the blast cabinet and the unbaked powder as it's blown onto the parts than you have about the fumes. I've been happy with my Summit Racing powder, but the Harbor Freight stuff is junk.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:29 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Ok, next question, their are several different powder coat starter kits on the market, any recommendations? I want to stay under the $400.00 range.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I started with "Eastwoods" starter kit and an old double oven in the shop. There are some fumes but like others have said just open the doors. I find the powder more of a nuisance then anything, and I now order my powder from "Caswell". Yes "Harbour fright" powder is trash.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:04 PM
big schott
Junior User
I have been PC'ing for the last 5 years or so also. The smell isn't bad with the doors closed. I did get a stove hood for the powering process and that cuts down on the "overspray" dust.
For the gun, I just have a cheap craftsman unit that looks like a hair dryer and cost me $50. I works, Most of the time. I also have been using Eastwoods powder. I have also tried the Harbor Freight powder, it covers, not great stuff, but it works.(nothing to show off to the neighbors)

Old 02-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
is there a powder you can dip the part into instead of spraying it?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Stormin123
Trailering
I have been powder coating in my shop for years. I mostly coat outside because of the powder getting everywhere, however the baking process produces some slight smell.

I originally purchased the Eastwood gun, that fell off the cart one day and broke because it was plastic. I purchased the Caswell adjustable gun and it works great.

I have used both the Eastwood and Caswell powders and they work great.

I suggest purchasing the Eastwood book on powder coating.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:00 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
Ok, next question, their are several different powder coat starter kits on the market, any recommendations? I want to stay under the $400.00 range.
I have the Harbor Freight kit. It's sufficient, but if I had it to do over, I'd move up to the Eastwood kit.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:06 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Skip1970
is there a powder you can dip the part into instead of spraying it?
I'm thinking not as the ground provides a negative charge and the gun provides a positive charge to the particles. The opposite charges make the particles attach to the object being coated (at least that's how I understand it). You also need a semi-uniform powder coating of sufficient depth. Dragging an object through the powder and contacting the sides/mouth of the jar would not lead to optimal results.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
I have the Harbor Freight kit. It's sufficient, but if I had it to do over, I'd move up to the Eastwood kit.

whats the price difference between the 2 kits?

Old 02-11-2015, 10:35 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Sometimes life just is not fair. I was getting ready to start building my oven cabinet, researched what powder coating kit to buy, and then my daughter came over. She saw mom's hand me down oven and did the daddy routine, gee dad that oven sure would be nice in my kitchen. So now not only am I loosing my oven I have to install it in her house. I guess that I should not complain, I have great kids and I should just be happy that I can help them out a little.

Quick Reply: Powder Coating Question