1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Stereo and Speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:32 PM
silar
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo and Speaker questions

Another thing that I plan on doing in the really near future is to upgrade my speakers and stereo in my truck. I've got a 1982 Ford F-100 XLT Lariat with an original AM/FM radio and door speakers.

I'm planning on installing some 6.5" 3 way coaxial speakers in the doors and a media player head unit for a stereo system (no CD). Pioneer makes a pretty nice one that's inexpensive. I'm not doing any subs or amps. Just want some decent sound from the system.

My first question: What is the max depth a door speaker can be for these trucks?

My second question: What is the max distance from the speaker to the grill in the door panel?

I'll be removing the door panels in the near future to install some new window channel/scrapers but I'd like to know now so I can go ahead and order some speakers for the doors..

I've searched but not found anything on the depth or distance to grill...

Thanks ahead of time!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking to upgrade my stereo and speakers too...I'm pretty sure most 6.5's will fit the door...as long as they don't have the extra plastic housing on them...otherwise you will have to cut out the door panel.

What model is the head unit your looking at...I was thinking of just ordering a cheap one from Walmart (Boss)?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Jumpdummy
Junior User
Most all radios you find will not fit your dash bezel unless you cut it. Retro Sound makes nice units that fit. Just depends on your preference. Cut the dash or keep the original looks...

Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jumpdummy
Most all radios you find will not fit your dash bezel unless you cut it. Retro Sound makes nice units that fit. Just depends on your preference. Cut the dash or keep the original looks...
My dash already has a vintage 80's Pioneer tape unit (seen better days) in it...so the decision to cut or not to cut has already been made for me.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:54 AM
TheCoach
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not all 6.5's will fit... the depth is around 5" if i remember correctly which is plenty for most basic setups. But i would do yourself a favor and just take the door panel off, take out the speaker, and measure the dimensions yourself. Then once you find a speaker you like just look at the specs.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo

Here you go...

Last edited by Sean_Memphis; 02-11-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 02-11-2015, 05:48 PM
silar
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sean_Reno
I'm looking to upgrade my stereo and speakers too...I'm pretty sure most 6.5's will fit the door...as long as they don't have the extra plastic housing on them...otherwise you will have to cut out the door panel.

What model is the head unit your looking at...I was thinking of just ordering a cheap one from Walmart (Boss)?
I actually went cheap. I went with a Boss media receiver.. I think it's a Boss 612UA. Got it at Walmart for $35. It does not have a CD player, but has the 3 things I was looking for... Mechless (No CD), USB, and has a clock. I'll upgrade it eventually so I went cheap for now. Would rather spend my money on other premium parts for my truck!

I also decided to get some of the Boss 300 watt 3 way 6.5" coaxial speakers. They got pretty good reviews as did the deck also.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Originally Posted by silar
I actually went cheap. I went with a Boss media receiver.. I think it's a Boss 612UA. Got it at Walmart for $35. It does not have a CD player, but has the 3 things I was looking for... Mechless (No CD), USB, and has a clock. I'll upgrade it eventually so I went cheap for now. Would rather spend my money on other premium parts for my truck!

I also decided to get some of the Boss 300 watt 3 way 6.5" coaxial speakers. They got pretty good reviews as did the deck also.
Did the speakers fit? Yah, that "Boss" unit is one of the ones I'm looking at. I might go w/the one w/the CD too though. How is the quality...I don't want anything much more expensive, as I don't want anyone breaking into my truck...

Old 02-11-2015, 06:05 PM
silar
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sean_Reno
Did the speakers fit? Yah, that "Boss" unit is one of the ones I'm looking at. I might go w/the one w/the CD too though. How is the quality...I don't want anything much more expensive, as I don't want anyone breaking into my truck...
I just picked up the head unit today. The speakers still haven't been delivered...

Old 02-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
I just picked up the head unit today. The speakers still haven't been delivered...
Ok...let us know how you like it!!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 PM
silar
Elder User
The stereo is small. It's only about 4 inches deep. It's light, but not cheap light. It feels pretty good.

The only issue I have is that if you are cutting up your panel to make an aftermarket stereo fit, you'll have to add some filler or something to make it work. I have an idea as to what I am doing but not sure if it will work.

Here's a pic of the single DIN sized bracket against the original panel.

As you can see, the original stereo was much taller..

Old 02-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Smoken Joe
New User
I cut the opening bigger on the dash and glued a piece of abs plastic on the back. That way you just cut out the opening for your new stereo and slide it in place.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Smoken Joe
New User

Not the best looking but it works.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:35 AM
silar
Elder User
Originally Posted by Smoken Joe
I cut the opening bigger on the dash and glued a piece of abs plastic on the back. That way you just cut out the opening for your new stereo and slide it in place.
That's actually not a bad idea! I was trying to use PVC glue to build up that area and then trim it down. I may just cut the entire opening out like you did..

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Smoken Joe
New User
That's actually not a bad idea! I was trying to use PVC glue to build up that area and then trim it down. I may just cut the entire opening out like you did..

Thanks!
No problem. Always happy to help a fellow Ford fanatic.
Let us know how it came out.

Quick Reply: Stereo and Speaker questions