6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Console vault/safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:07 PM
txazguy
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Console vault/safe?

Anyone install a gun vault/safe in their console?

I've seen the console vault that Ford offers, and don't want to secure the entire thing....but I would like to install a safe, mounted on it's side that would allow me to secure my EDC (1911 sub) and maybe a few extra things.

Thinking about a microvault or microvault XL.... Ideas? Pics?

Pistol Safes - Micro Gun Safes | GunVault

Old 02-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here' an option but it seems to take up most of the console: Console Safe 2011-2015 Ford Super Duty Model LD2034

Old 02-08-2015, 01:20 PM
txazguy
Mountain Pass
Yeah, saw those....not looking to secure the whole thing. That's a LOT of space I can use for other stuff, and only need 1 or 2 things secured from time to time.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. A small secure area inside the console would be great.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I like the console safe idea.... I try not to put alot of stuff in the "trash can" between the seats anyways and at times I would rather secure rather than carry my firearm, wallet, and other valuables.

Only problem is that it could be empty and someone breaking in to the truck will try their damnest to get into it no matter what damage it causes to the truck.

TXAZGUY - Have you looked at the gun vaults and figuring out a way to permantly attach them inside the truck. THey are not secure if they can be remove as a "corner drop" will open them up, but if they are secured in place they are pretty tough. I use one inside the house.

Mini Gun Safe - Mini Gun Vault - MiniVault | GunVault

Old 02-08-2015, 02:23 PM
txazguy
Mountain Pass
Yeah, I imagine it would involve disassembling the console to put a metal plate on the other side of the plastic to secure the thing to. Nothing I can't handle...it would be great to find pics of a full console take-apart if someone has them

I initially liked the speedvault, but that's ONLY good for a firearm...so I think something with a single hinged door (like the minivault) would work perfect.

I'd mount it on the drivers side of the inside of the console...hinge down, toward the rear so that when it opens the door falls away from the vault. Another option would be to mount it to the rear of the console so the door falls to the front of the truck when opened....and maybe install a limiter strap so it doesn't open all the way.

I'm not too concerned about a vehicle break in....here in AZ and where I live in TX, most people keep to themselves. That, and breaking into a truck w/ 2A/DTOM/NRA decals on it is just suicidal so most people just steer clear.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Good luck with it, maybe you can be the one to post the install pictures of one.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:09 PM
txazguy
Mountain Pass
LOL Possibly... Someone HAS to have taken apart their console by now...

Old 02-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
I took one out of a circa 2001 Excursion... It wasn't all that hard. A few bolts on the bottom and MAYBE a couple on the outside.

I was more interested in vacuuming up the water that spilled in the console and leaked out to the carpet behind the console, when I took out a soft sided cooler than had melted ice water in it and the cooler ripped open dumping about 1 gal of ice water all over.

I just can't imagine it being all that difficult to do. Maybe a harness to undo since the back of the console has power plugs on it.

I am more interested in how you mount the vault.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:57 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
GunVault safes are OK but their biometrics are the worst around. If you just want a key or combo safe, then sure. But, if you want bio, look elsewhere. Barksa are the best in the business but I don't think they will have one that fits the console...

Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a console vault under the jump seat for locking up valuables. I'm not too concerned about having to reinforce how it mounts because if they want it bad enough they're going to just take the whole truck. When I have nothing in it I keep it unlocked.

Ford F250 Console Vault: 2011 - 2015

On a side note I thought I'd share this for anyone who frequently stores valuables under the locking rear seat (guns, cameras, etc etc). I like to go to the range and don't like the thought of my ARs just bouncing around so I invested in a custom foam liner for under the rear seat.

Custom Foam Design Studio - Create Foam Inserts Online

Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 AM
txazguy
Mountain Pass
yeah if I had the jump seat I would have gone with that option...but I have the full flow through console

Old 02-10-2015, 11:58 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Ford F350 Super Duty Floor Console: 2011 - 2014

Looks like they have that covered too!

Old 02-10-2015, 12:50 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone found a vault for under the cup holders of the full console trucks? I'd think the little hidden compartment under the cup holders would be an awesome place for a vault.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM
txazguy
Mountain Pass
Not looking to secure the entire thing...just a few items on occasion....stupid laws here prohibit me from carrying in restaurants, school grounds, or on post unless it's secured (and cleared on post). All the places there's likely to be an active shooter...

Quick Reply: Console vault/safe?