Kinda like a blind date

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe777
The panel is looking better already! That old rear axle made the truck look like it was ready to implode. That floor looks in great shape.
It's amazing what a little TLC can do

Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Looking good. I'm really surprised how nice that cargo floor is.
Your clutch might have a rats nest or some rust in there keeping it from clamping down tight.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks guys. And Scott, The rust or rats nest makes sense. After I did my heart walk last night I slid under the truck with my torch and heated the clutch rod clevis and got the pin out. There was a lot of pressure on it and when the pin came out the lever on the bell housing sprung back about 1/2". I have the threaded clevis soaking in PB blaster and will crank it in to give some free play. At this point the truck would not roll and was locked in gear. With the rod released I hooked up my landcruiser to the panel and pushed and pulled it back and forth on the concrete floor. The fan blade with white spray paint spot on it remained at the twelve o'clock position so yes, it's stuck. I could not tell if the panels rear wheels were rolling or skidding because with the cruiser in low range 4wd it moved ok. If they were rolling then the clutch must still be slipping. Dang rat parts and seat stuffing all flattened out in there. I remembered my other question from last night. Any ideas how I can get the pass side door opened up? Outer handle wont budge, inner handle moves the correct amount and I can hear the movement at the latch. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you remove the passenger side door inspection plate to see if the latch mechanism is indeed moving? Hard to believe the hinges would be so rusted as to not allow any movement. Soak everything with PB Blaster?
Also, was just surfing eBay and saw a 46 panel for sale. You could have a fleet of panel trucks!

Old 02-11-2015, 02:33 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Haven't looked. I will after work. If the door is locked with a key (which I don't have), would it still open from the inside under normal circumstances? I'll spray inside the door with PB . Good call.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good question. Don't know if the door should open from inside if it has been locked with the key. That may be your problem right there.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:50 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I think the key locks the door, period. You may need a locksmith.

I have had a slipping clutch on a parts truck with a stuck flathead. Sounds like you get to pull the engine.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Oh ....more great news! I went out after dinner and cut a rotten tire off a rim with sawzall, angle grinder,hammer etc only to find it horribly rusty for about 10 inches where it must have sat in the mud for 40 years. Found a '66 license plate under the seat today. I came inside all sweaty and filthy and told my wife that playing golf might be a pleasant pastime. Never thought of trying it before. Oh never mind, I've got another rim to try tomorrow

Old 02-11-2015, 10:38 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
Oh, I feel for you on that. It's happened to me. Rim looked perfect, but when I got the tire off it was junk. Can't get by without spares. Stu

Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
About a year ago I shipped 4 of these rims to a guy in Texas for 75 bucks apiece. They were clean. I rolled them into the greyhound station and ond off they went. After all I didn't have a tonner, so why did I need them. I'll never sell another rim again...... (don't quote me on this)

Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Golf can be a very frustrating and expensive hobby as well........plus you can lose your *****.....

Old 02-12-2015, 11:43 AM
FireEngineMike
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gary, if you are not in a hurry with the passenger door I'll check how mine operates the next time I go to the storage unit (March 1 to pay the rent). Could you post a picture or two of the seating area floor? Mine was replaced with wood and I would like to eventually go back to original metal. Could be that was done when the first part of the cargo floor was removed to install the fire pump. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:53 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I sort of am in a hurry because it's so hard to clean out all the crap and remove that seat without opening the pass door. I know a locksmith here that drives past my place every night on his way home, maybe I can bribe him up here with a case of beer. As far as golf is concerned I pried the other tire off before Danny showed up for work and it was a good wheel, now I'm back to being an old truck guy where we get to keep our ***** (until our wife makes a weekend Valentines trip the first weekend I have my new panel). That would take big cahounies to say no. Besides it might be fun getting off the island and not working on anything. Hmmmmm the Early Bird swap meet is this weekend, just south of Seattle. Just kidding , sort of.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:30 PM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Didn't we go through this with another truck a while ago? Isn't there just a horseshoe clip on the inside of the door holding the lock on? Popping the clip and pulling the lock out should take care of the "locked" part, unless the door mechanism is rusted. Then pulling the door handle and the rest of the mechanism should free the door, shouldn't it? The key turns a rod that makes a part turn in the square part of the door mechanism if I remember right... Unless a tonner is different...

Old 02-12-2015, 06:36 PM
51504BAT
More Turbo
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Kinda like a blind date

Originally Posted by 38 coupe
I think the key locks the door, period. You may need a locksmith.

I have had a slipping clutch on a parts truck with a stuck flathead. Sounds like you get to pull the engine.

My '39 p/u passenger door locks with the original key and you can open the door from the inside while locked with the key.

Quick Reply: Kinda like a blind date