Help me replace the right parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help me replace the right parts

Hey,
Long time no talk. I had a purple f250 a while back and was very active on this forum. I have a new excursion after several trucks. It has the 7.3 and I love it! Getting 19 mpg! Unbelievable!

I have been chasing a clunk since I have owned it and I finally found it!!

I know I could put this in the excursion specific forum, but I trust you guys more than any forum I have been on. My question is what parts do I need to buy?

I had been considering new stub axles and warn hubs anyway.... what else would I need?

I think these come with the U-joint parts... not sure though...
2x 2002692 Spicer Dana 50 60 Outer Stub Axle Shaft Ford F250 350 450 550 30 Spline

1 Warn Premium Hub Set - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Any reason you think you need new stub shafts and hubs, or do you just want them new?

I just did my front passenger wheel bearing and u-joint. I needed a new u-joint, new wheel bearing (with abs sensor), new outer seal (goes on the wheel side of the u-joint), and a new axle shaft seal (goes on the end of the axle tube).

By the looks of it, you'll need both seals and a new u-joint for sure. I doubt you will need the stub shafts, and everything should be there for you if you keep your current hubs, or put in new hubs. I think that should do you, unless you plan on doing the wheal bearing, then you'll need that whole assembly as well.

Baatzy

Old 02-08-2015, 06:16 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stub shafts were toast from the needle bearings failure. Easier to replace when you have it all apart.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by Baatzy
Any reason you think you need new stub shafts and hubs, or do you just want them new?

I just did my front passenger wheel bearing and u-joint. I needed a new u-joint, new wheel bearing (with abs sensor), new outer seal (goes on the wheel side of the u-joint), and a new axle shaft seal (goes on the end of the axle tube).

By the looks of it, you'll need both seals and a new u-joint for sure. I doubt you will need the stub shafts, and everything should be there for you if you keep your current hubs, or put in new hubs. I think that should do you, unless you plan on doing the wheal bearing, then you'll need that whole assembly as well.

Baatzy

Because on my old truck, the needle bearings had seized and ripped the stub axle up, so I had replaced the hub assemblies, and the stub axle shafts.

No I am realizing that if I jump the gun on stub shafts, then I should do the wheel bearing too. The truck has 240,000 miles. Mo idea if they have been replaced. I guess the smart thing to do is to disassemble it and see what I actually need. I just wanted to avoid doing it twice.

For my edification, obviously losing 4x4 would greatly increase the chances of a problem. otherwise, how dangerous is this? I am still planning to replace it in the next two weeks and I rarely drive unless it's a long trip, which I don't have any planned. Just curious....

I think I was partially considering just rebuilding the front end preemptively, but I can't figure out what is necessary and not and how beneficially that would be?

Then again, I am not opposed to just replacing what is necessary....

Old 02-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
That makes sense on the stub shafts, I guess I was lucky enough to not have that happen.

Personally I don't like to fix things unless they're broken, because otherwise its somewhat hard to tell when to stop. "Should I do just the axle stuff? Should I do ball joints as well?" That kind of scenario drives me nuts because I want everything to be the best, but I don't have the coin to always make that happen.

If a front end rebuild is the case, I guess I don't know for sure what all you would need. However, just for the front axle stuff, to fix what I saw in your video, it looks like a new outer axle seal, a new wheel bearing seal, and a new u-joint. Giving that you will be there and you don't know when it was last replaced, I would definitely consider the wheel bearing unit then. Like you said though, the best way would be to pull it apart and look for sure. To go along with that, its hard to tell you how beneficial replacing parts that aren't broken may be. The biggest benefit would probably just be knowing that the parts are new and the peace of mind that comes with that.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking about as far as the danger, but I unwittingly drove on the failing u-joint/wheel bearing for the neighborhood of 1200-1500 miles after I heard the first clunking. Never gave me an issue until about the last 100 miles, then things started getting a little weird. I wouldn't recommend it though, I would really only drive it if absolutely necessary.

Hope that helps some,

Baatzy

Old 02-08-2015, 10:18 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
If your only problem right now is the worn out U joint then you can drive it indefinitely in 2 wheel drive. As long as hubs aren't locked in that joint isn't turning

Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Paul is correct on that, with the u-joint, but I would make sure your stub shaft isn't turning. I'm not sure if it was my failing wheel bearing or my hub going bad but I had so much resistance that my stub shaft was turning even with the hub unlocked.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:37 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
His seemed to turn pretty freely but it would be a very good idea to check it, especially after a drive and it has time to warm up. Have someone watch the axle while you roll forward to make sure it isn't turning.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
Well, I took it apart and all it needed was the U-Joint and seals. I think the it's all original because the U-Joint had those weird plastic rings inside. It took a lot of force on a press and then we accidentally knocked the cup all the way out and the cross wouldn't come out so we had to cut it. Anyway, all back together and we had to celebrate on the back 40! Makes a huge difference. Thanks for everyone's advice!!!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:44 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Fantastic. Thanks for following up and letting us know what you found.

Sure like the looks of the back 40.