vapor lock or maybe bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:48 PM
6ohman2004
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vapor lock or maybe bad fuel pump?

Hello all! Here's a quick info section before I get into my issue. I have a 79 f150 4x4 with a 78 400m. 12k miles on rebuild. It has a new edlebrock truck series 650 cfm carb, performer alum intake, 1 inch profolic? Spacer, new fuel filter with clear housing to see fuel, a holley fuel pressure regulator(set about 5psi) with an auto meter fuel psi gauge in the extra port. 3k miles with this carb setup

So when I got the carb(new in the box) it had a bad float giving me a crazy rich and bogging issue. After i got that fixed and tuned well I haven't had any issues completely reliable the last 3k miles daily driven.

I finally got to go out wheeling yesterday and got into some off camber angle and the truck bogged and died. After getting unstuck and to level ground the truck started and ran rich for a minute then was fine.
About 20 mins of flat driving with no issues I got to the next wheeling area and just up a slightly angled gravel road maybe 10 degrees then the truck sputtered and died. I rolled back to a level spot rather upset and I couldn't get the truck to start, it wasn't hot on the temp gauge (I have a 2 speed electric fan set up that works very well) and I had plenty of fuel in the tank. But it acted like vapor lock. No fuel pumping into the filter during cranking, I let it sit for a while and tried again. Same thing. I had a little gas in a can and poured a small amount in the carb and it started and ran that fuel out. Then the filter filled with gas and I was able to run after that.
On my way home the truck ran like normal until I got off the freeway and then it bogged a little with my foot on the throttle about 1/4 peddle.
It did this twice. It sat over night and I took it down the road today it did the same bogging action. I got home checked the psi on the fuel gauge it was fine at 5psi. Then I checked again a few mins later and is was at 3psi.
I tried to adjust the set screw a little but couldn't get more then 3.5psi. Could this be my mechanical fuel pump? It's only got 12k miles Napa brand. Or what else?
Thanks for any advice. If this will continue to be an issue I want to do a tbi system.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
your issue is in your first statement,IMO. Id place the edelbrock carb on a hard surface and using a 5lb hammer id fix it, then id go buy a holley. Myself and 3 friends have all had one in yrs past and threw them all out, eddy carbs are like a women, if you have a good one great,if you dont,get rid of it.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:27 PM
6ohman2004
Mountain Pass
I have thought about that as well but if I decide to ditch the eddu I'm going tbi for off camber wheeling.
I believe The eddy is simple enough to get running right I just seem to have an issue being fuel to it I have had similar vapor lock issues with my motor craft 2bbl as well.
How does your Holley do when wheeling?

Old 02-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I dont play any more, but i use to and never had any issues with a holley. TBI like you said is your best bet. Pic's man,PIC'S!!! LOL

Old 02-07-2015, 06:05 PM
6ohman2004
Mountain Pass
I'm try and post more pics to my profile, not sure how to in a post.
I think my pump is under lifetime warranty, I'm going to replace it Monday when I'm off. Think I can without draining the oil? I would think so.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:13 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
I've taken my eddy wheeling and never had so much as a stumble.

I tried a holley once, went straight back to mr. Ed. Could be your fuel pump. Could still be float adjustment, could be the regulator.
(Not sure why everyone says you have to run a regulator. I don't and everything works great)

Old 02-08-2015, 03:55 AM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My advice, buy one of both. The one that works for you is what makes you a holley or an edl man. I screwed with holleys for a couple yrs. ditched it for an edl and have never had a problem, guesse I'm an edl man. I prefer webers on a IR manifold, absolutely loved em on VW's. But since I don't have 4k lying around for carbs, manifold and spacers........Most carb problems I've seen though, are tuning issues. Nothing more.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 AM
6ohman2004
Mountain Pass
I thought I had the carb pretty well tuned, slightly rich, but im not sure now. Emissions is great from the tail pipe.
so I'm thinking how is it good one day and after wheeling it has an issue.
I drove it to work today and it was fine. I'll see how it does on the way home. Im going to replace the pump tomorrow since its easy and free. Then re check the pressure to the regulator once that is stable again I'll check the floats.
I ran with out the regulator when I first installed the carb and it was just pushing to much fuel. There was a noticeable difference once I installed it and set it to 5psi.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:45 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I run an Eddy and have zero problems. I've run Holleys and have had many problems. My opinion is that an Eddy is THE carb for a daily driver and a Holley is THE carb for racing.

In any event, it sounds as if you have a fuel delivery problem. The pump is a candidate, but the fuel pickup in the tank may be suspect as well. Something appears to be preventing fuel from getting to the regulator.

And speaking of regulators, Eddys don't like more than about 6 psi of pressure as the leverage of the float won't reliably close the needle with much more than that. And since some mechanical pumps run close to 6 psi, there are those who recommend a regulator. I put one on when I was having some problems, but it made no difference. Turned out I had junk from the tank in the bowl and that was plugging passages and causing all sorts of problems. I still run the regulator as it is already on, but don't think it is needed. After all, tens of millions of GM vehicles came from the factory with Carters, and none had regulators nor problems.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:15 AM
6ohman2004
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the info Gary, I didn't want this to turn into a carb bashing thread haha. Everyone had their choice and I picked eddy.
But I agree I feel it's a delivery issue. I have the lmc 38 gallon tank(so no issue with rust and contaminants except fuel) with the extended pick up tube. I didn't install the tube but the first guy that did it left pin holes in the solder connection and caused many problems. After it was fixed I Haven't had any issue but I do feel the tube isn't close enough to the bottom of the tank. That thing is a pain to remove to.
I'll post what happens after I replace the pump. Thanks everyone!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 AM
6ohman2004
Mountain Pass
I exchanged my fuel pump yesterday and got the new one installed along with a new metal fuel line from the pump up towards the carb. Psi is stable at 4.5-5 everytime I check it. So far so good Drove it to work today no problem. I did notice my oil pressure gauge was more stable today though? I'm not sure why. Usually it will flux from a few needles from the low line to a few needles from the high line depending on rpm. I will keep posted on the fuel issue I hope this solved it

Old 02-10-2015, 10:56 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
i have to agree with Gary. Edelbrock for street use, and holley for the drag strip.
i have never had a holley that would stay in tune for more than 1 day.
edelbrocks on the other hand are a bit harder to tune, but once set you don't ever have to mess with them again.

i would check the fuel pickup in the tank.
but i really think that the float setting in the carb may be too low also.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:48 PM
dimora
Senior User
Both brands work fine. You need to make sure the carb is clean, built correctly and everything adjusted properly, including float height, idle mixture, proper jetting, and fed with proper fuel pressure.

A few cans of carb cleaner, a re-build kit, and some know-how are all it takes to make a carb run perfectly - regardless of brand.

Be methodical and you won't screw it up:

Old 02-19-2015, 11:51 PM
6ohman2004
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the info, I am still having the stunning issue so I've ruled out the pump now that it's new. I'm getting good pressure each time I look at it. Can't tell while driving(stumbling) since its under the hood though. I have spent a lot on the carb new price was 350 plus the misc parts too use and the bad float from get go. I don't believe it needs a rebuild it's still new. The shop I had fix the float/tune, said the jets and rods in it now are a little on the rich side fir my setup and that didn't bother me until now. But soon as I get my daily driver back on the road and I have a day off to think with the carb I'll check the float levels. Should be Monday or tues

Old 03-18-2015, 05:19 PM
6ohman2004
Mountain Pass
Hello again so I finally have some new information about this stumbling issue. Yesterday I checked the float levels they were both off each way by over 1/8th of an inch. More on one. So i got them back to spec 7/16 and 1in. Put it back together and today hauling a load of compost home it stumbled again. Pretty bad as to where I couldn't give it any throttle or it would stumble more. Got it home and had it idling with the hood up and I watched my fuel psi gauge drop too 0 the truck stumbled at idle for the first time. Keep in mind I replaced the pump a month ago. But what could cause this? I tried to route my fuel line away from heat I can see some fuel in my clear filter housing.

Quick Reply: vapor lock or maybe bad fuel pump?