Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1974 F-100 Engine/Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks! I actually bought a remanufactured AOD from a transmission shop. It's the same thing that would've been in a late-80s truck or Mustang behind a 302... reman has the later-year factory improvements to strengthen it too (e.g. later-model OD band, etc.). If mine had been a manual truck to begin with, a Z-spec T5 would've been my choice, but I didn't want to take on an auto-manual swap. It has an FMX in it currently, though I imagine it would've been a C4 from the factory.

I got the Lokar shift linkage kit for it so I could orient the gear selector arm to my liking. Installed that tonight too, just didn't think to take pictures. Wasn't too hard - the directions are actually pretty good.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:17 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
The other day, I was mocking up the air cleaner to get vacuum line lengths figured out, and realized the one I have from the stock 2150 carburetor won't clear the 4180 I put on it. So, I procured a dual-snorkel 18" unit off a mid-80s Mustang and painted it to match the engine. The 302-4V decal was only $4 on eBay so I splurged.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:29 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Couldn't find a good source for intake preheater exhaust shrouds to go with the dual-snorkel air cleaner, so I rigged something up - took a 3" galvanized Y fitting and cut it in half down the middle with an angle grinder, then 3" to 2" exhaust reducers.

Not the prettiest thing ever from down below, but should do the job, and won't look too bad from up top. I'll rotate that passenger side one to a better angle when I actually install them and tighten the nuts - they're just sitting in place for now. Haven't decided yet whether to paint them or leave them as-is (galvanized + stainless w/ aluminum tape)

Old 03-21-2015, 12:26 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not make some that are full length out of sheet metal with a simple 90* bend, would double as a nice heat shield.

Have you looked into coating the headers?

After being impressed by it on a buddies built Fox Body I did my headers with Cerakote. It's reasonably priced, you use a HVLP gun to spray it on then bake it for a while.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:53 AM
bkaul
Posting Guru
That's not a bad idea on the full-length sheet metal. I may do that if I find time next week.

Haven't really thought about coating the headers - just assumed it would be prohibitively expensive, given the price difference between coated and uncoated new ones. I'll check that out. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2015, 01:07 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
As is with most things, doing it yourself is always cheaper.

My buddies car is a Vortech blown 302 putting 593 to the pavement and at idle you can almost grab the headers with a bare hand.

I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap oven to put in the shop as Cerakote has tons of coating products and I'd like to try some of my own Powder Coating.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:44 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Nice! Looks like they've got some air-cure products too (no oven required, which makes it more likely to pass the wife test); do you have any experience with those?

I spent a couple hours today getting things unhooked so I'm ready to pull the clip - have a couple friends scheduled to come over tomorrow to help with that. I think the rest of today will be mowing the lawn and straightening up/organizing in the garage to make enough room to keep the front clip in there while it's off the truck.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:05 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
mowing the lawn .I got snow yesterday,,short lived fire glowing,,nice build,,,my first dent had a 302,,,,drove it all over north america

Old 03-21-2015, 04:36 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Yeah, I'm glad I moved south and don't have long, severe winters to deal with here, but the downside is lawn-mowing season runs from mid-March through mid-November.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Currently their Exhaust coating that you bake to set is all I have played with so far.

I miss living in Az and just having to spray the gravel yard with Weed Killer once a month. Living in Wa I said F-it and bought a Riding Mower.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:49 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Got the front clip pulled today; other than the motor mounts and transmission crossmember, everything's unhooked too. Will get the engine/transmission pulled later this week.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:12 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
The core support bolts didn't break loose, but they did break: with a breaker bar + cheater on the nut and another breaker bar on top, two of us pushed till it gave way and the bolt sheared off on each side. No Sawzall required. Nothing else was really any trouble.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:13 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Electrolysis rust removal rig - cleaning up the old accessory brackets, etc.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:35 AM
ShaneNP123
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Looking good! You're giving me motivation to get at my '79, progress has been slow but it's coming along.

I wish I had the time and weather to go at it hard like you are, keep up the good work!

Old 03-25-2015, 07:00 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Thanks!

Got the engine & transmission pulled today:

Pulling the old engine/transmission out.

Down to the bones...

Quick Reply: 1974 F-100 Engine/Transmission Swap