schmiddw
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1800-3000 just want a stock engine.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:31 PM
schmiddw
Freshman User
The lifters were making some noise at first from dirt but that cleared out before the pushrod bent.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:38 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Your problem is a dry, tight guide.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Address the heads, as instig8r pointed out, and get new pushrods.
Good luck.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:59 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RichS2659
390? Used engine? How did you know it was a 390? Did you stroke test it to begin with? Is it a case of "390 on sale day, 352-360 any other day"?
Really?

"Shortly after installing this used engine."

Old 02-07-2015, 11:15 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2x what Bobby says & Bad valve guilds will cause you to have a bent push rod
Re build the heads with harden exh. seats. Or try to find a pair of 72-76 360/390 heads with a cast #D2TZ-D4TZ by the center spark plugs you'll find the numbers.
Orich

Old 02-08-2015, 04:39 AM
Whitepos72
Freshman User
Personally i would rebuild the motor myself if youre going stock you can get a good re-ring kit for less than $300 and spend 2-300 at a machine shop for cam bearings hot tank hardened valve seats etc. if youve never done one before dont be afraid its a lot easier than you might think just find a good machine shop and pick up a book or two itll be a good learning experience and you can say you did it yourself just my opinion

Old 02-08-2015, 08:37 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Ha.. heads rebuilt with harden exh seat $600-800 depending where you live.
And about $1800 is like the ball park pieces, It may need the cranks turned an cylinders bored.

One never really knows until you pull it down have it inspected ..
Orich

Old 02-08-2015, 09:50 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitepos72
Personally i would rebuild the motor myself if youre going stock you can get a good re-ring kit for less than $300 and spend 2-300 at a machine shop for cam bearings hot tank hardened valve seats etc. if youve never done one before dont be afraid its a lot easier than you might think just find a good machine shop and pick up a book or two itll be a good learning experience and you can say you did it yourself just my opinion
HA! When was the last time you had an engine done? Just a valve job with hardened seats is 6-700. That's what I was quoted from a couple different shops.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:19 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by schmiddw
2000-3000 I am really looking for a stock rebuild that can run on unleaded gas. I've had the truck for 18 years, and I am trying to finish, up the projects swapped out an old engine that had no compression with one from an rv with good then a pushrods went a couple of days after install and working through old gas.

Did the pushrod bend when you started the engine cold? Old gas is the key here. When you burn old gas and shut the engine off, a deposit forms on valve stems essentially gluing the stems to the guides with the result of bending one or more pushrods on cold startup. I bent 5 of them on my '68 F250, surprised the heck out of me as the truck had been running great when I shut it off the night before, even with 10 year old gas in the aux. tank which I had diluted some with fresh gas and was trying to burn off. Did some research and found out about the perils of running old gas. From then on I started and stopped the engine on fresh gas from the main tank and only switched to the aux. tank to burn up the old nasty stuff when I had a little distance to drive, being sure to switch back to the main tank at least a miles from my house, till I finally got rid of all the old crap.

Just replace the bent pushrod and if you only have a single tank, drain it and refill with fresh gas, or carry a gas can of fresh gas with you and drive it till you run out and then add the fresh stuff.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM
schmiddw
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TigerDan
Did the pushrod bend when you started the engine cold? Old gas is the key here. When you burn old gas and shut the engine off, a deposit forms on valve stems essentially gluing the stems to the guides with the result of bending one or more pushrods on cold startup. I bent 5 of them on my '68 F250, surprised the heck out of me as the truck had been running great when I shut it off the night before, even with 10 year old gas in the aux. tank which I had diluted some with fresh gas and was trying to burn off. Did some research and found out about the perils of running old gas. From then on I started and stopped the engine on fresh gas from the main tank and only switched to the aux. tank to burn up the old nasty stuff when I had a little distance to drive, being sure to switch back to the main tank at least a miles from my house, till I finally got rid of all the old crap.

Just replace the bent pushrod and if you only have a single tank, drain it and refill with fresh gas, or carry a gas can of fresh gas with you and drive it till you run out and then add the fresh stuff.
It was running a while that day while getting an exhaust manifold sealed up. I appreciate all the tips for burning out old gas while protecting the engine.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:42 PM
schmiddw
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Whitepos72
I haven't rebuilt an engine before, but it is time I get an FE rebuild manual.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:50 PM
schmiddw
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CougarJohn
Be advised that shills come into these sites posting innocent questions for references to their products. The reference comes back in. You can guess what it is.

If you buy a crate engine from any internet reference you assured of getting something with a top-quality Shanghai rattle-can paint job on something. You bust your **** to R and R the thing to learn the hard way. Like on teardown.

There is no cheap way to rebuild these old motors. Good labor gets paid a wage to keep them living happily in the local environment. If you want to get a good rebuild, ask around town. Find the best guy. Cheap prices get you cheap parts with a high school cluck running the boring bar. Take the engine in and insist on seeing the box for the rebuild parts and the gasket set. I have even been in shops where I watch the crank dropped into a properly installed rear seal. I have knowledge, but a rotten spine.

Mistrust.
Not a shill just looking for advice: spent about $900 on a used engine with good compression from a junkyard and getting my old one pulled and this one installed, and want to make a better choice moving forward. Actually had a friend who was a mechanic and said a crate engine could be a good option. I appreciate feedback on the negatives of crate engines also.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 PM
orich
Lead Driver
A 40 yr old motor where would the best place to buy a crate motor come from?

And how much one would cost ? Maybe just down the block at a loco shop.

One key word is how long is the warrantee will last.

Then longer the time the better of engine you'll get.

But many things you'll have to do. One you'll have to have and show proof for them to honor the say 1,2, or 3 yrs warranty is have a new or rebuilt radiator, 2.A New water pump, 3. Have a new thermostat & with all new hoses.
And 4 new belts
Just these things could cost $300

Orich

Old 02-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Whitepos72
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
HA! When was the last time you had an engine done? Just a valve job with hardened seats is 6-700. That's what I was quoted from a couple different shops.
Last week fyi you just have to know the right people

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crate Engine