1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear oil- Lucas or Valvoline

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:13 PM
F357
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Use either one. Lucas is fine, so is Valvoline.
I suppose you could say that about any fluid. Just use the cheapest fuel. And the cheapest oil. The cheapest coolant. And the cheapest ATF. And the cheapest filters. They probably work fine right? Don't worry about your $50,000 truck, just play the lottery with it. That makes total sense!

I would assume if somebody bothered to come here and ask a question like this, they are concerned about making the better choice. That is never a Lucas product.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by F357
I suppose you could say that about any fluid. Just use the cheapest fuel. And the cheapest oil. The cheapest coolant. And the cheapest ATF. And the cheapest filters. They probably work fine right? Don't worry about your $50,000 truck, just play the lottery with it. That makes total sense!

I would assume if somebody bothered to come here and ask a question like this, they are concerned about making the better choice. That is never a Lucas product.
You are NOT playing the lottery if you're using API-certified oils.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Seems like you have a grudge against lucas, 357. What have they done to you?

Old 02-07-2015, 07:21 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tom
Exactly! If it's got the grade, it does what it has too.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:23 PM
F357
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
You very much can be. You are not a tribologist. It is NOT a good idea to use any old fluid. If you want to do that, have at it, but please let me know when you sell so I don't ever buy a vehicle from you.

Ford also tells you to use their Gold coolant in the 6.0 motor. Guess what? That's a sure way to cost yourself thousands.

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Seems like you have a grudge against lucas, 357. What have they done to you?
I said that from the very beginning. They make snake oil products. This is a proven fact. Stuff like "lucas oil stabilizer" is 100% a scam. Why would you purchase any product from any company like that? Even if their other oil does meet the certification, you can be absolutely sure it is just barely. They have basically said they think their customers are stupid and will buy anything in a bottle.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:24 PM
F357
Senior User
Exactly! If it's got the grade, it does what it has too.
So I guess nobody should ever ask a question about oil then? That's why there are 40 thousand posts about oil on this forum alone? The answer is always "just use whatever certified oil you can find"? That is BAD ADVICE! The certification only means they meet some minimum requirements. Better brands go above and beyond.

The same thing could be said about fuel. Do you go to any old gas station without a name that has the cheapest price? Or do you go to a top tier station? You can do either, but one of those choices will cause you some issues one day...

Old 02-07-2015, 07:42 PM
F357
Senior User
Another point.

If you walk into the automotive section of any store you will find dozens of snake oil rebuild in a bottle miracle products. We all know most of this stuff doesn't really work, and sometimes, can cause harm. They are only designed to make the owner profits.

Now, take a look at the brand names on those silly miracle products. You won't find names like Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Motorcraft, etc. Those are quality name brands, and they don't want their name attached to those kind of scam products.

Then take a look at what Lucas offers. Very little of it is actually oil.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:01 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Lucas makes worthless snake oil additives. Their other oils can't be any better.
I always like to make informed decisions, based on fact.

What is your source for these comments as you have stated this several times through this thread?

You seem to be very confident in your opinion and I'd surely like to read up accordingly.

Thx.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:21 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Yes, please 357, what is your source? Because your opinion does not affect me.

I have used a couple different lucas products, and they have worked well at doing what it claims to do.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:24 PM
F357
Senior User
This is not a thread about all oil products and I'm not going to argue with you about it all day. There is nothing notable about Lucas products. Search for information about their additives, such as their "oil stabilizer". You'll find a lot of idiots that think it totally rebuilt their engine. In the real world, analysis shows it not to be much more than thick oil.

That is not the topic of this thread however, and I am not going to argue about it here. The point is I will not buy anything from a company that sells such snake oil, even if it were the best performing synthetic on the market. (it's not)

The question was asked, "should I use Lucas or Valvoline?" and I gave very good reasons to choose Valvoline. You're welcome to choose whatever fluid you want, you aren't the person that asked the question here. I'm not a fan of Valvoline either, but at least they don't market snake oil, and are a much longer standing, much more proven oil brand.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
This is not a thread about all oil products and I'm not going to argue with you about it all day. There is nothing notable about Lucas products. Search for information about their additives, such as their "oil stabilizer". You'll find a lot of idiots that think it totally rebuilt their engine. In the real world, analysis shows it not to be much more than thick oil. That is not the topic of this thread however, and I am not going to argue about it here. The point is I will not buy anything from a company that sells such snake oil, even if it were the best performing synthetic on the market. (it's not) The question was asked, "should I use Lucas or Valvoline?" and I gave very good reasons to choose Valvoline. You're welcome to choose whatever fluid you want, you aren't the person that asked the question here. I'm not a fan of Valvoline either, but at least they don't market snake oil, and are a much longer standing, much more proven oil brand.
So I'm gonna ask you the same question you asked me. Valvoline is proven how? Where?

The oil stabilizer you mention is pretty much just a thick oil. Anybody that has used it knows that. (And I have) but it does exactly what it says it does, so I don't see a problem there.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:43 PM
F357
Senior User
So I'm gonna ask you the same question you asked me. Valvoline is proven how? Where?
Like I said, I'm not a fan of Valvoline either. They are on the same level with other brands like Mobil, Pennzoil, etc. They never put their name on the miracle additive crap, and there is a reason for that. I'm not recommending any brand besides avoiding every brand that sells snake oil.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:53 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Then what is your definition of "snake oil".

My definition of snake oil is "something made by someone that may or may not work or cause problems and they are trying to make a buck"

I don't see lucas that way.... However, I believe the "slick 50" brand is definitely snake oil and I will never touch it.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:25 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Threads like this one really don't help show us the good or bad of any of the aforementioned gear oils....even the self proclaimed expert posting here doesn't offer any more than his opinion......but it does give me 'gas' and I suppose that may make it worth the read, IDK If I were going to get on a public forum and bash a product, ANY product, I would post the stats that made me believe what I post...or at least a link to them. Then again if I was just here to show my superior intelligence If couldn't 'dazzle you all with brilliance I'd just baffle you with bull chit'

Old 02-08-2015, 07:54 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A link to Lucas Oil Products.

Products

Have you been to their shop in Corydon, IN? I have. They purposely buy older trucks with a lot of miles on them, and take a lot of pride in getting another 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 miles out of them before they need any kind of engine, transmission, or differential rebuild. Their fleet of trucks include Detroit, Cummins, and Caterpillar motors. All hold up well. Their oil additive did have issues in the 6.0 and 7.3 HEUI motors. They now have one specifically for those motors.

The question was specifically asked, which gear oil would you use, Valvoline or Lucas. A simple answer like Valvoline would have been enough. You are making claims about Lucas that we'd like to see you back up. No, I don't use their products in my trucks, but I wouldn't be afraid to either.

Quick Reply: Gear oil- Lucas or Valvoline