6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Yo.. Bo, Hot-Shot's Secret and 7 points of cetane boost... How?,

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:58 AM
F357
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STA-BIL®
If you're wary about adding an additive to the fuel the best thing to do would be to call up the manufacturer and get their recommendation. If you have a high pressure common rail injection system, there is a very high possibility they recommend using a product that demulsifies water.
You'd think the manufacturer/sponsor could come here and answer that question for everybody. I guess they don't really have one. Bo seems to recommend using the "every day diesel treatment" even though it claims to have a water emulsifier. They claim to have done fleet testing but cannot tell us anything about it. I wonder if they actually tested a 6.0L.

To me it seems like they are just blending random chemicals and slapping big words on the bottle in hopes that it might solve some random untested problem...and I don't want to be their guinea pig.

Originally Posted by BoKnowsDiesel
We are all about education here at LSI. No secrets. No gimmicks. I can obviously go on and on about additives because it’s my passion but I will stop because I don’t want to bore everyone. But please let me know if you want more clarification or information. I would be glad to help in any way I can.
I don't think anyone is bored Bo, by all means educate us. Why would we want a water emulsifier in our system?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Ironically there have been a LOT of product spotlights on HSS lately on the PowerBlock and other related DIY shows on TV, yet the water emulsifier vs de-emulsier seems like a real OOPS to me - at least for the 6L (which is what WE ARE talking about here).

Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 AM
STA-BIL®
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F357
You'd think the manufacturer/sponsor could come here and answer that question for everybody. I guess they don't really have one. Bo seems to recommend using the "every day diesel treatment" even though it claims to have a water emulsifier. They claim to have done fleet testing but cannot tell us anything about it. I wonder if they actually tested a 6.0L.

To me it seems like they are just blending random chemicals and slapping big words on the bottle in hopes that it might solve some random untested problem...and I don't want to be their guinea pig.

I don't think anyone is bored Bo, by all means educate us. Why would we want a water emulsifier in our system?
My apologies - I was referring to calling the manufacturer of the diesel equipment (in this case Ford) in regards to what they recommend for additives.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Grant-Dieseltech
Senior User
They have their own, so we know what they will say.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 AM
BoKnowsDiesel
Former Vendor
The argument of dispersing water vs. separating it out has been a debate in the additive industry for quite some time (long before common rail trucks were around)... In a perfect world, yes you would want to separate out the water and drain it out. That simply doesn't happen though. So when you drop out the water in the system, you are leaving standing water in the tank. This can lead to bacterial growth, corrosion, and other issues. By constantly using a dispersive additive, you are constantly removing trace amounts of water in the fuel, passing it safely through the system. You have to realize the droplets of water we are dispersing are so microscopically small, there is no way it could damage an injector. Conversely, if you let a water problem go too long, and the pickup grabs some straight water that was demulsified instead of fuel, then you have a problem. It would have to be a pretty severe water problem for that to happen, but it is still possible. We have thousands of customers with common rail trucks who use the Diesel Extreme and EDT, from new Volkswagens to Cummins ISX semis. If dispersing additives were a problem, we would have been out of business by now.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:25 AM
F357
Senior User
Originally Posted by STA-BIL®
My apologies - I was referring to calling the manufacturer of the diesel equipment (in this case Ford) in regards to what they recommend for additives.
Ah...yeah, I bet Ford would only recommend the Motorcraft additives. Not sure if they claim to emulsify water, don't have time to look at the moment.

Bo, no answers for any of the other testing I asked about? Tell us about this fleet testing. What about lubricity testing?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:27 PM
F357
Senior User
Here is the Motorcraft diesel additive:
Power Stroke Diesel - Power and Pride

I notice it doesn't say anything about emulsifying or demulsifying water. My water trap seems to work just fine and my tank is plastic so I can't think of any reason a 6.0L owner could possibly need an emulsifier.

I suppose Bo must have been lying about the "fleet testing" if he can't share any results or describe what kind of testing was done. Sad. I'm sure no lubricity tests were done either. They're just making up random facts to put on the bottle. It's been a full week since I asked him to describe the testing...

The unfortunate reality is that most other fuel additive products are the same way, they can't prove much or any of what they claim to do.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:45 AM
BoKnowsDiesel
Former Vendor
I was able to dig up a test from an independant fleet that we were watching fuel mileage gains...

The lubricity is a lot like the cetane, we use a known lubricating additive in the mix, so that is why we can claim to boost lubricity. Though that test would most likely be an easier test to reproduce and quantify the lubricity added. I will check into what would be involved with sending off a sample to get tested.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Grant-Dieseltech
Senior User
Well, I have a bottle so I added a shot to this tank. My fuel mileage has such a wide range I wouldn't know if it did help though.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:35 PM
F357
Senior User
LOL. It's sad that forum members have to suggest that maybe testing is necessary to prove your claims. You should have already known that if you really are the oil expert you claim to be.

As for your fleet testing, that is a pathetic answer. I can make a graph like that in about 5 minutes, and it means nothing to anybody looking at it. Can you actually describe the testing? What kind of trucks? What kind of motors? What kind of miles? What kind of fuel? What kind of testing methodology? Did you just hand a bottle to the driver and say "test this" or was there a scientific method? You are the one that said you are "all about education", so why no answers?

The lubricity is a lot like the cetane, we use a known lubricating additive in the mix, so that is why we can claim to boost lubricity.
One drop of oil in a thousand gallons of fuel will "boost lubricity" legally speaking, but not enough to do a single benefit for anybody. Your mix ratio of 3200:1 makes it useless as a lubricant. Your entire product isn't pure lubricant anyway, so the lube ratio is actually worse than that.

I think what we all have learned here is that there is no scientific basis what so ever for the prescribed dosage of 1oz per 25 gallons having any effect.

PS - a 15% improvement would be 2.7 miles per gallon gained if you got 18mpg to begin with. No possible way your product can do that. Even the 7% is very suspect.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:10 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
The lubricity is a lot like the cetane, we use a known lubricating additive in the mix, so that is why we can claim to boost lubricity. Though that test would most likely be an easier test to reproduce and quantify the lubricity added. I will check into what would be involved with sending off a sample to get tested.
So this means that you're claiming a lubricity increase only because the stuff contains a substance "known" to increase Lubricity, but with no test to support that claim ?

And I guess I missed it....

You mentioned a 7 "point" increase in cetane.....................That's just a claim too? with no supporting standard ASTM test to back it up?

Please forgive me for saying, I'm just a little bit appalled that you would offer for sale a product with claims that you admit haven't been independently backed up with standard tests to verify.....

It just supports the "Snake Oil" narrative....

Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM
F357
Senior User
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
You mentioned a 7 "point" increase in cetane.....................That's just a claim too? with no supporting standard ASTM test to back it up?
Yep, no test. On anything. His guess to how good it works or not, is as good as yours. He even claims the math they used to get 7 points differs based on the fuel you are using, but can't give us an example of what the ideal fuel to use is that would get that 7 point gain.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:22 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by F357
Yep, no test. On anything. His guess to how good it works or not, is as good as yours.
It doesn't matter if it really "works" or not if people buy it and "feel better" after running it

Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 PM
F357
Senior User
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
It doesn't matter if it really "works" or not if people buy it and "feel better" after running it
Actually if it doesn't really work that's false advertising and that would be illegal. Most seem to get away with it, but it's still illegal. Bo seems to be playing a careful word game here.

Without a lubricity test, for example, it's possible that the product cannot measurably increase the lubricity of fuel at the recommended ratio.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I was able to dig up a test from an independant fleet that we were watching fuel mileage gains...

That was the worst proof of "testing" I likely have ever seen.

6 months prior fuel useage of 30k miles compared to only 4400 miles?

A lot of variables considering winter blend fuel versus Summer blend etc.

Josh

Quick Reply: Yo.. Bo, Hot-Shot's Secret and 7 points of cetane boost... How?,