6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Yo.. Bo, Hot-Shot's Secret and 7 points of cetane boost... How?,

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Cetane can be determined by analysis. Easy to prove or disprove. Just takes about $150 (edit - my $50 estimate was an old one and WAY off it seems!).

Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
Cetane can be determined by analysis. Easy to prove or disprove. Just takes about $50.
Test the additive as is or send 2 batches?

A control sample of straight diesel and then a sample taken from the 1oz per 25 gallon?

Josh

Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Yeah, I have considered it from time-to-time (a control sample and one after the additive). I have done this with oil, just not as curious (yet) about cetane.

The Lab I prefer is Polaris for oil analysis, and they do coolant and diesel fuel.

Complete Test List | POLARIS Laboratories®

Old 02-07-2015, 08:36 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
As I undertsand it, the actual cetane value is best obtained with an engine on a test stand, but the cetane index can be estimated and if you want to check a fuel with a known cetane value, and then see if it has changed over time, that a repeat cetane index test would be a good indicator. I think that it is fair to say that MOST diesel fuels in the US are close to the 40-41 range.

Edit - I would like to see proof from the sellers of these additives though. If they advertise it, they should be able to come up with documented test results!

Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Bullitt390

Yeah, I have considered it from time-to-time (a control sample and one after the additive). I have done this with oil, just not as curious (yet) about cetane.

The Lab I prefer is Polaris for oil analysis, and they do coolant and diesel fuel.

Complete Test List | POLARIS Laboratories®
I like Oil Analyst Inc.

Oil Test | Oil Sample Analysis ? Analysts, Inc

But then again, even if Cetane improved .1 points the claim is still valid as it was "UP to 7 points"

Not sure how much OAI charges for diesel fuel testing, would have to call on Monday. Then again, I wouldn't be too keen on shelling out the money for the Hot Shots just verify their claims.

I'm looking forwards to trying the Diesel Power Cetane Boost however.

Josh

Old 02-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$100 for 2 tests? Certainly we can get 10 people to donate $10 each to the cause....I'm in for $10....who else??

Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Bullitt390

As I undertsand it, the actual cetane value is best obtained with an engine on a test stand, but the cetane index can be estimated and if you want to check a fuel with a known cetane value, and then see if it has changed over time, that a repeat cetane index test would be a good indicator. I think that it is fair to say that MOST diesel fuels in the US are close to the 40-41 range.

Edit - I would like to see proof from the sellers of these additives though. If they advertise it, they should be able to come up with documented test results!
Many distributors use additives though. Power Service and Howes are heavily used here in Northern Colorado.

We get our fuel from here and they are the main refueler for hundreds of gas stations:

TEAM PETROLEUM, LLC - FORT COLLINS CO, 970-482-2533

IIRC they are boasting around 45 Cetane regular diesel and 48-50 Cetane B20. I wouldn't doubt that as with their fuel the combustion/injectors is/are noticeably quieter, especially with the B20.

Josh

Old 02-07-2015, 08:57 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Good point on the additives by the distributors. What I read seems to indicate that the 40-41 is at the pump in the US, but it certainly could be different from region-to-region, and between distributors.

Also, Biodiesel has higher cetane values than regular diesel, so it is expected to see B20 have a higher value. All-in-all, I think Biodiesel is the best additive for lubricity AND cetane. It is just hard to get in places.

Just as an fyi - to fit in with your posts - everything I read says that bumping cetane up above the value recommended by the engine manufacturer, is of little (probably none actually) benefit. If Ford recommends 45 cetane minimum, we aren't far off even if our fuel at the pump is in the 40-41 range.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:55 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bo is on the Toilet and will be back after the Regular Scheduled Program , I'll have to find my Bottle of Stanadyne Jr to see what there rating is , all I know is that product seems to run better with my 6.0 more so than Howes, I can get Howes any place , and it pulled me out of a 10 gallon regular fuel fill OOPS years ago so I have a Bond with it now

Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
Bo is on the Toilet and will be back after the Regular Scheduled Program , I'll have to find my Bottle of Stanadyne Jr to see what there rating is , all I know is that product seems to run better with my 6.0 more so than Howes, I can get Howes any place , and it pulled me out of a 10 gallon regular fuel fill OOPS years ago so I have a Bond with it now
Most of you know I am not a big fan of mechanic-in-a-can solutions
but Stanadyne has earned my respect and endorsement over 55 years working on diesels. Most of my career has been as a Field Mechanic for the oil field and related companies. I work on equipment as is where is.

For the oil field down time is the biggest cost of all. It may cost 100 times the actual repair cost. Cheaper for me to come to the machine than bring the machine to me. An aspect of that is oil related companies keep a lot of spare portable equipment some that may set for years.
At times I have had to send out equipment that wasn't properly checked out and thourghly tested. There is a popular saying in the oil field.[I need it up and running day before yesterday] and that they actually mean.
More often than I liked I may not be given enough time to exchange the old fuel. I made it a practice to at least drain or pump out at least 2 buckets of fuel pour in a bottle and slowly pour the buckets back in to stir the mix. In those situations I often accompanied the equipment where ever/however it was getting there to be shure it started and stayed running. If it was going by truck I would start it and leave it running.
If it started it would spit;sputter;clatter and raise holy hell but eventually it would clear up and purr like a kitten.
I know it was never designed to do this but in 55yrs it never failed me.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:33 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
From a thread back in September...
Originally Posted by BoKnowsDiesel
It is a very concentrated formula, originally "designed for jobbers to blend premium diesel by treating fuel which is either not allowed to be dyed or which is already dyed at purchase, both as required by law depending on use." So it was made to treat extremely large quantities. I should have put the *up to* 7 points in my first post to cover my rear, but yes that is 7 WHOLE points. While I don't have an actual ppm count, I can say it is a sufficient amount to back our claims.
Starts on post #17
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...booster-2.html

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Iaff113
I would like to hear from someone that has or does run this.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by WatsonR
Cetane here in Virginia is 40.... the minimum allowed by law and why our mileage is horrible!

What would happen is I put twice as much?

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Originally Posted by BoKnowsDiesel
The product has only been released in this consumer market for about a year, so I would like to get some more feedback also. I was able to find one amazon review though. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hot Shot's Secret HSSEDT16ZS Everyday Diesel Treatment - 16 fl. oz.

I really don't think that would help out any more, or any less. But if you do try it, let me know what you think of it!

Old 02-09-2015, 01:58 PM
BoKnowsDiesel
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright fellas, I wanted to double check myself before I got back with you all on the EDT. I let Chris (developer of the products) read all of your questions and respond...
"Watson,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I wanted to verify a few things before I replied. To start with the Federal Government does mandate a minimum cetane value of 40. Most engines run well with a 43-45. Optimum is at 47-49. The cetane rating will help to show the ignition point of the fuel. It is like the octane in gas but it works in the opposite way. In gas the higher octane prevents pre-ignition or detonation (two separate things but a discussion for later). Under high compression environments like a high performance car, the gasoline will pre-ignite because of the heat and compression causing a knock. So higher octane helps the gas to hold its powder, so to speak, until the spark hits it. Cetane does the opposite. It helps the fuel ignite faster. We want all the particles of diesel to ignite at the exact same time. If they don’t you get a knock.

The Everyday Diesel Treatment is a much higher concentration than normal additives, because that’s what we do. It is only one ounce but you’re only treating 25 gallons. It does say up to 7 points. This is not misleading. If the fuel is “responsive” then there will be a 7 point boost. We don’t know what fuels are responsive and nobody else does either. Maybe a 40 cetane fuel derived from a paraffinic base stock it will be more responsive than a 45 cetane fuel from a naphthenic base stock. Sorry, it’s not a perfect science. A cetane test from the lab won’t help. It does not measure chemical cetane improvers. The only way I know of to measure a chemical cetane improver is to use the ASTM D 613 Waukesha Engine Test.

As far as higher MPG, increasing the efficiency of the burn will put less product out the exhaust and more bang in the chamber. The thing to keep in mind here is that we are only increasing the efficiency. Not the BTU power. We can help all those little firecrackers explode at the exact right moment but we can add gun powder. That’s the BTU rating. The higher the BTU, the bigger the bang. In the winter, refineries use a lighter blend, more number 1 less number 2 to keep the fuel from gelling. Number 1 has 30%less BTU giving less bang.

Everyday Diesel Treatment was blended to be an Everyday treatment. A good balance of detergent to keep the system clean, lubricity to help with the low sulfur issues, moisture dispersant to keep the system dry, fuel stabilizer to keep it from polymerizing, acid neutralizer to help with the nitric acid produced when exhaust gases are pumped into the system and a cetane enhancer to give a clean burn. Our Diesel Extreme is made with a lot more detergent and cetane. The Diesel Extreme is blended to be a once or twice a year deep clean and the Everyday Diesel Treatment is blended for everyday use. One is like brushing your teeth every day and the other is like going to the dentist. Both are important and needed. But I wouldn’t want to go to the dentist every day and I wouldn’t want to only brush my teeth twice a year

We are all about education here at LSI. No secrets. No gimmicks. I can obviously go on and on about additives because it’s my passion but I will stop because I don’t want to bore everyone. But please let me know if you want more clarification or information. I would be glad to help in any way I can."

Old 02-09-2015, 03:11 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anything in writing Bo? Independent testing shows Hot Shot secret improved cetane..... like the study showing Opti-Lube in the link posted by Josh... would be good, if not its here - say.

I can report that since using it, the truck is noisier. I plan to get a decibel meter and record the level. I added some 2 - stroke oil last fill-up, almost immediately noticed a quieter truck. I plan to do your product against Opti-Lube to see just how quiet.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:53 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Right now I can say from my experience--I have HSS in my oil (going on about 4K now) and have just recently run the DE (90% of the bottle) through a tank of fuel (two weeks worth) Right now as far as the HSS I have not seen any improvement in stiction I can attribute to the HSS. Our temps have been warmer the last week or so and stiction doesn't happen (I only get it below 40 degrees) Now on the DE I did fully notice a difference in injector sound and engine smoothness at lower RPMs (engine has always ran extremely smooth at speed) Also with this last tank I actually made my standard two week fill up level (has been awhile since this has occurred) Was warm up time a little less lately--perhaps but marginal--but I feel the DE has/is doing it's job for me at least.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:04 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by WatsonR
Anything in writing Bo? Independent testing shows Hot Shot secret improved cetane..... like the study showing Opti-Lube in the link posted by Josh... would be good, if not its here - say.

I can report that since using it, the truck is noisier. I plan to get a decibel meter and record the level. I added some 2 - stroke oil last fill-up, almost immediately noticed a quieter truck. I plan to do your product against Opti-Lube to see just how quiet.
Here is mine. Meter resting on the degas. 3 tanks of Murphy USA Diesel, no additives, currently at half tank.

I like the warning after the test:

Josh

Quick Reply: Yo.. Bo, Hot-Shot's Secret and 7 points of cetane boost... How?,