Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

led 194 bulb in charge light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:25 AM
apg camo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
led 194 bulb in charge light?

Will the led 194 bulb work in the charge light port? Will the charging system still function as if there was a regular bulb? I know 12 volts has to go through it and then to the "I" on the regulator. I'm just not sure if the low amps draw of the led would adversely affect anything. Anyone know?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Play it safe. Leave the stock bulb in there.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by apg camo
Will the led 194 bulb work in the charge light port? Will the charging system still function as if there was a regular bulb? I know 12 volts has to go through it and then to the "I" on the regulator. I'm just not sure if the low amps draw of the led would adversely affect anything. Anyone know?
can you get a picture of what you talking of??? I have an idea of what your asking (I have done full LED conversion on my truck in sig) also what year/make and model is your truck? and this "charge" light where is it located?

The only bulb that I have yet to change out is the one up under the hood because it provide light to the entire engine area.

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:29 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes but understand that you're gonna give up part of the functionality of the warning light. That bulb gets V+ from the ignition switch and "grounds" thru the field windings in the alternator. When the alternator is working right, the field windings are also at V+ and therefore the bulb ends up with V+ on both sides of it so it stays off.

If the alternator quits producing power, field voltage goes to zero (it's generated internally after the initial excitation) and the bulb now has a "ground" so it glows. Current flow is from battery --> bulb --> field.

If the battery takes a dump, battery voltage goes low and the bulb again has a "ground" since it's being fed V+ from the field windings on one side and has a dead battery to "ground" to on the other. Current flow is from field --> bulb --> battery.

An LED will only conduct in one direction, so if you connect it so that it'll warn you of an alternator failure it won't work to warn you of battery failure. Now personally I ain't ever seen a battery fail where the idiot light came on, but that's the theory behind it.

Also, you'll want to protect the LED from overcurrent yet make sure that enough exciter current gets delivered to the field windings to get the alternator going. Sounds hard but I think it can be done quite easily. Might need a resistor in series with the LED and/or replace the existing resistor that bypasses around the bulb (provides a current path in case the bulb is blown) on the back of the cluster.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:14 PM
apg camo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I knew about how the circuit worked from the V+ to the field windings. Never thought about the battery side of it though and how a diode wouldn't alow current flow in that direction in the case of battery failure. I was only thinking about the alt side of it.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:36 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
If you're willing to build a small circuit, a full wave rectifier can put out a fixed polarity regardless of input polarity. But we might still need a resistor or two for current limiting.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2X on what Dixie460 said.

I found what IC Ford is using for the voltage regulators. Its called a CS3341 and here's the data sheet info in PDF. (not direct link to PDF but to that page with the PDF)

http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions...t.do?id=CS3341

There is a schematic which is almost like what Ford is using in the 2G and 3G alternators. A few component values were changed but overall circuit is the same.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:39 AM
ifrythings
Laughing Gas
Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
This thread has a lot of miss information in it....

Originally Posted by apg camo
The LED will work just fine, use it.

Originally Posted by dixie460
Yes but understand that you're gonna give up part of the functionality of the warning light. That bulb gets V+ from the ignition switch and "grounds" thru the field windings in the alternator. When the alternator is working right, the field windings are also at V+ and therefore the bulb ends up with V+ on both sides of it so it stays off.

^The bulb grounds through the regulator and when the feild voltage comes up then the regulator powers the bulb giving the bulb a net zero voltage.

If the alternator quits producing power, field voltage goes to zero (it's generated internally after the initial excitation) and the bulb now has a "ground" so it glows. Current flow is from battery --> bulb --> field.

^This is correct.

If the battery takes a dump, battery voltage goes low and the bulb again has a "ground" since it's being fed V+ from the field windings on one side and has a dead battery to "ground" to on the other. Current flow is from field --> bulb --> battery.

^This is wrong, if your battery took a dump, it either goes open aka no battery and the alt can run the vechile like this but not recomended and if the battery were to short out internally, the alt would be driving a dead short or very high load and the engine would stall from low voltage. There is no way you can get a current draw backwards through the bulb. The bulb doesnt tell you anything about the battery just the alternator.

An LED will only conduct in one direction, so if you connect it so that it'll warn you of an alternator failure it won't work to warn you of battery failure. Now personally I ain't ever seen a battery fail where the idiot light came on, but that's the theory behind it.

Keep in mind that every "battery" light bulb in these trucks have a 510 ohm resistor in parellel for the only reason if the bulb burns out so the alt will still get the exciter voltage to turn on. The diode action of the LED doesnt cause any problems except you have to put it in the right way for it to work.

Also, you'll want to protect the LED from overcurrent yet make sure that enough exciter current gets delivered to the field windings to get the alternator going. Sounds hard but I think it can be done quite easily. Might need a resistor in series with the LED and/or replace the existing resistor that bypasses around the bulb (provides a current path in case the bulb is blown) on the back of the cluster.

^ This can only happen on an extreme over voltage of the entire electrical system, the LED already has current limiting in it unless your useing raw LED's. A standard bulb is built for 12v, it will only draw its designed current at that voltage and no more.
Put a standard 194 LED replacement bulb in and youll be fine.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:50 AM
ifrythings
Laughing Gas
Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
I found what IC Ford is using for the voltage regulators. Its called a CS3341 and here's the data sheet info in PDF. (not direct link to PDF but to that page with the PDF)

CS3341: Alternator Voltage Regulator Darlington Driver

There is a schematic which is almost like what Ford is using in the 2G and 3G alternators. A few component values were changed but overall circuit is the same.
I dont know who told you that but Ford doesnt use that, they do everything descrete, take any 2G or 3G regulator apart and all you will find is a thick film process board and you can see all the individual resistors and transistors. They aint going to pay a buck or to when they can make it out of 10 cents worth of parts even with it being more complicated.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ifrythings
I dont know who told you that but Ford doesnt use that, they do everything descrete, take any 2G or 3G regulator apart and all you will find is a thick film process board and you can see all the individual resistors and transistors. They aint going to pay a buck or to when they can make it out of 10 cents worth of parts even with it being more complicated.
I have taken apart the internal regulator and reversed engineered it. The result I found was almost the same schematic as in the PDF fie.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:24 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ifrythings
This thread has a lot of miss information in it....

The bulb grounds through the regulator and when the feild voltage comes up then the regulator powers the bulb giving the bulb a net zero voltage.

Agreed.

...if your battery took a dump, it either goes open aka no battery and the alt can run the vechile like this but not recomended and if the battery were to short out internally, the alt would be driving a dead short or very high load and the engine would stall from low voltage. There is no way you can get a current draw backwards through the bulb. The bulb doesnt tell you anything about the battery just the alternator.

Like I said, I ain't ever seen a battery fail where the idiot light came on, but that's the theory behind it.

Keep in mind that every "battery" light bulb in these trucks have a 510 ohm resistor in parellel for the only reason if the bulb burns out so the alt will still get the exciter voltage to turn on. The diode action of the LED doesnt cause any problems except you have to put it in the right way for it to work.

Yep, know about that resistor. Only reason I mentioned it was the "theory" above.

This can only happen on an extreme over voltage of the entire electrical system, the LED already has current limiting in it unless your useing raw LED's. A standard bulb is built for 12v, it will only draw its designed current at that voltage and no more.

You're absolutely right, it does have current limiting. Not sure what I was thinking. Lol.

Put a standard 194 LED replacement bulb in and youll be fine.
So I went outside on my lunch break and stuck a 5 die LED module (one of <a href=https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/919/>these</a href>) in there and it works just fine. So yep, you're right. NO modifications needed, plug and play.

Just remember it won't allow current to flow the other way... which is up for debate whether that can happen or not. It don't bother me one bit because I keep a watch on my gauges anyhow.