Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck made it to Germany!! Looking for block heater specs

Old 02-06-2015, 04:58 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck made it to Germany!! Looking for block heater specs

Hey guys! Glad to report my truck made it to Germany. Just waiting to pick it up from the vehicle processing center at Spangdahlem Airbase. And this cold weather got me to thinking about the block heater, which I should have thought about before LOL! Anyway, im looking for some specs on our block heaters. Wattage and voltage rating would be nice. I will also probably be looking into getting a timer to power it up about 4 hours before starting time as well. Thanks for any info!

Old 02-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The stock element is 120v, 1000w.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, you may already know this. Are you going to be staying on a US base? If not, in Europe, a lot of stuff is 240V ac that would normally be 120V stateside...could come in handy as you travel around.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:52 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Grab once of those converters that everyone sells to their buddies when they leave country. IIRC they came in 1000W, 500W, 250w, 150W & 100W sizes. They were easy to find when we were stationed there a while back. They stay on all the time when plugged in so put the timer between the converter & wall outlet.

Now, go out und trinken ein Hefe Weisen und Essen kaese spaetzle....😎🍺🍲

Old 02-06-2015, 11:03 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pikachu
The stock element is 120v, 1000w.
Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know. Im plan on running it on a 1500 watt transformer just to be safe.

Originally Posted by jhl3
FYI, you may already know this. Are you going to be staying on a US base? If not, in Europe, a lot of stuff is 240V ac that would normally be 120V stateside...could come in handy as you travel around.
I'm stationed at a US base, but will be living off base. Most facilities on base have both 110 and 220 available.

Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Grab once of those converters that everyone sells to their buddies when they leave country. IIRC they came in 1000W, 500W, 250w, 150W & 100W sizes. They were easy to find when we were stationed there a while back. They stay on all the time when plugged in so put the timer between the converter & wall outlet.

Now, go out und trinken ein Hefe Weisen und Essen kaese spaetzle....😎🍺🍲
Good point on the timer! I already picked up a few transformers, but need to get a 1500 watt. And yes, I will go eat some good food and drink some hefe!!

Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Glad to here that your truck made it over there. Hopefully you'll be posting up a few photos of your truck in Germany.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Kamstutz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switch the block heater to a 240V from Zerostart 8600996, reuse the original cord and use the American - European plug adapter. You will actually use less electricity with 240 than the 120,

Old 02-07-2015, 06:46 AM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The voltage does not matter, the block heater will be the same wattage at either voltage. When you are billed from the utility company you are billed in kilowatt hours. So at 120 or 240 you bill for electricity would be the same for the same wattage heater.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Kamstutz
Senior User
Sorry to say but the voltage does make a difference and plugging in 220/240V to a 120V heater will smoke the heater in a very short time. Go ahead and plug your 120V heater into a 220V outlet and let us know what happens. BTW I was stationed with the USAF in Germany (Ramstein & Rhein Main) and we had to buy the 220/240V heaters to replace the original 120V that came with the trucks to work with the European voltage.

Folks who are concerned about power usage can switch to the 220V heater and use a 220V outlet to save money because 220V is more efficient. But at the cost of a new heater it may take a while to recoup the savings.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:27 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
How long have you been there? 2-3 months?

When you get a chance - try the Käse Spaetzle - a highly advanced form of macaroni & cheese..........

Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Kamstutz
Switch the block heater to a 240V from Zerostart 8600996, reuse the original cord and use the American - European plug adapter. You will actually use less electricity with 240 than the 120,
I looked for the block warmer and the only place I could find it was at ebay for $44. Not too shabby.

Now I need to do more research and see if there are some things I can replace that may be contributing to the hard cold starts. Ive never had this much trouble starting it up the day after it got here. Im guessing the fuel was gelled. It had been sitting in northern Germany at the port for a few weeks and they had to roll it off the truck here at spangdahlem because it wouldnt start. However these are the lowest temps this truck has seen, seeing as how this truck has never left Texas or Louisiana. I have read on other posts about some people not having to use the block heater until 20F below. While mine gets tempermental around 35F. Im thinking I may have some items to replace to mitigate me having to use the block heater so much.

Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
How long have you been there? 2-3 months?

When you get a chance - try the Käse Spaetzle - a highly advanced form of macaroni & cheese..........
That sure does look like a highly advanced form of mac and cheese LOL!! I will definitely have to try me some of that. Thanks for the suggestion and keep em coming!!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:45 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Start with the glow plug relay and then ohm out the glow plugs themselves. How cold was it when you suspect the fuel gelled? 35 isn't too cold, if the glow plug system is in tact, all you should have to do is cycle the plugs for about 30 seconds with the key forward, and she should fire right up. And yes, when you get her running right, get some pics of your truck in cool places in Germany please.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Check the batteries and the GPR that Jason mentioned, it's been sitting for @ 3 months without being started. The batts could have easily drained down.

In addition, clean & coat the battery terminals being she was sitting on the boat surrounded by the salt air.

Once you get some local diesel fuel in her you won't need any additives. Their fuel has a higher cetane rating (better starts) and a lower gell point than ours.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
As mentioned, look at the glow plug system, check the batteries and clean and check connections.

In addition to that, if you are running 15w-40, consider switching to 5w-40. Switching to the 5w-40 oil significantly improved my cold starts.

However, I don't know how much of a difference, if any, that would make at 35F. If you ever find yourself in the -20F then the 5w-40 would make a big difference.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Kamstutz
Senior User
See if you are getting voltage across the GPR with the key on. If not the GPR is probably bad. Take a 4" piece of 8-10 size wire and jump the GPR for 20 seconds and see if it starts. Here are some links for TS GP. Can you get it to the Auto Hobby shop?
https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...ow-plug-system

Welcome to guzzle's White-Rodgers (Stancor) GPR replacement Mod Web Page

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck made it to Germany!! Looking for block heater specs