Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antique insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 AM
aj88V
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chesster51
Did you read post#8 in this thread? Saved me a ton of money.
The garage is a tough one for me. Have two bays, but their filled with motorcycles, bicycles, tools, and yard care stuff. I don't mind keeping a cover on the truck. That's what I do with the little sports car.

Originally Posted by im2tall33
Just a thought. Check out progressive, when I sold insurance they had just rolled out a classic car policy I do believe. Might be worth looking imto
Progressive is what got me on to Hagerty, which underwrites for them. It's funny, because I have two antique motorcycles with Progressive already. Hagerty told me they'd take my motorcycles too. How's that for loyalty between business partners? LOL

Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Just going to give this thread a little bump

I am ATTEMPTING to insure 3 of my vehicles as classics at this moment
many companies will NOT put classic insurance on vehicle that are not in pristine showroom condition, or modified, or lifted

Here is what I have found so far that will NOT insure my trucks...
Liberty mutual CLASSIC
Grundy
JC Taylor
Hagerty
American Collectors

I am filing a application with American collectors as we speak. I have given them all the info and have emailed in pics of each truck. I am waiting to hear back form them

3 trucks with their insurance would be $1000 a year. That is with a total value of all 3 trucks at $37k

But they all must be garaged, NOT general transportation and limited usage

Edit: American collectors will NOT Insure the 96 bronco or f350. They are of eligible age. But not considered collectible or rare

Last edited by Diesel_Brad; 07-27-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Ya get what ya pay for, I think sometimes people are unrealistic (not you) about what insurance is for, and what it will actually cost. Classic or Antique is a different animal and it's important for people to understand what the deal is. Again a lot of folks don't have a good handle on "regular" insurance so it's little wonder they REALLY don't understand classic car insurance.

Somebody pointed out they also won't write a classic policy if the only vehicle the policyholder owns is the insured. They don't want to insure a daily driver under a classic car policy. A garage will generally always result in a bit cheaper rates.

A lot of folks who own their home and other assets will have what is known as an umbrella policy, on top of their existing homeowners and vehicle policies. The thing is, the insurance co. wants to write everything as part of the deal, that's how it works. So in that case they don't want to see another company underwriting the car and truck policies. So that's another ding on the classic car insurance companies. One thing you can try is ask your existing insurance agent if they will write a special policy or "agreed value" rider or whatever they call it. It should need an appraisal I'd think, and you'll pay for it of course, like anything else.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
I used to be with Hagerty, won't go back. Been with American Collectors coming up on 3rd yr. Very happy. 3 vehicles 25k replacement value each about 1400 a yr. Very easy people to deal with unlike Hagerty.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Briansshop
I used to be with Hagerty, won't go back. Been with American Collectors coming up on 3rd yr. Very happy. 3 vehicles 25k replacement value each about 1400 a yr. Very easy people to deal with unlike Hagerty.
Good to hear. Have you ever had to file a claim?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:27 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Good to hear. Have you ever had to file a claim?
No, I never have. Did a little online research when I was shopping and found some guys that did though. Only heard good.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:49 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
No, I never have. Did a little online research when I was shopping and found some guys that did though. Only heard good.
Ok, good to know

Old 07-23-2016, 12:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i have Hagerty on my '68 t-bird.was super easy and effortless to setup.i had to e-mail them some detailed pics of the car but they reviewed them quickly.i have Hagerty plus roadside assistance (High-Octane - so it covers both my cars) and my little civic blew a heater hose so i had to be towed.that went smooth as well.

Brad,my guess is,they don't like the valuation your putting on your trucks,based on their actual condition.im sure all those co's would insure you,just not for what you want them insured for.i know you don't wanna hear this but, this probably means your over-valuating your trucks and to get them insured you'll need to lower your expectations.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
Brad,my guess is,they don't like the valuation your putting on your trucks,based on their actual condition.im sure all those co's would insure you,just not for what you want them insured for.i know you don't wanna hear this but, this probably means your over-valuating your trucks and to get them insured you'll need to lower your expectations.
Nope. Had nothing to do with values. They said they are not "valuable" but they would insure my 94 lightning for 30k

Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Hagerty wouldn't insure my 95 Lightning, said it wasn't the type of vehicle they cover. ?

I had my 85 Must GT insured with Hagerty for 2 yrs and when I bought the Lightning gave them a call to add it to my policy, the agent I spoke to was such an insulting A HOLE that we got into an argument. Told him I was taking my business elsewhere and he replied," Go ahead,you're free to do that".

Hagerty was being a pain about my one of my SON'S trucks being too old to be reliable transportation for him. Mind you, not a vehicle I was looking to Hagerty for coverage. Their thinking was that if my son's truck broke down on him, he'd need to drive one of my vehicles. I tried to explain to him that they didn't even understand the type of people/vehicles that they insure and that under NO circumstances would one of my "toys" be pressed into a daily transportation vehicle, not by me,let alone someone else in my household. There's simply no need,there's 7 other vehicles in my driveway at any time. Hagerty wanted FULL details about all the other vehicles in my household, manufacture, yr, mileage, miles driven. They even wanted details on the company vehicle that I drive for work that is owned by the company that I work for! They would not cover my F350.

American Collectors covered all three with a pleasant,easy to talk to Agent.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Hagerty wouldn't insure my 95 Lightning, said it wasn't the type of vehicle they cover. ?

I had my 85 Must GT insured with Hagerty for 2 yrs and when I bought the Lightning gave them a call to add it to my policy, the agent I spoke to was such an insulting A HOLE that we got into an argument. Told him I was taking my business elsewhere and he replied," Go ahead,you're free to do that".

Hagerty was being a pain about my one of my SON'S trucks being too old to be reliable transportation for him. Mind you, not a vehicle I was looking to Hagerty for coverage. Their thinking was that if my son's truck broke down on him, he'd need to drive one of my vehicles. I tried to explain to him that they didn't even understand the type of people/vehicles that they insure and that under NO circumstances would one of my "toys" be pressed into a daily transportation vehicle, not by me,let alone someone else in my household. There's simply no need,there's 7 other vehicles in my driveway at any time. Hagerty wanted FULL details about all the other vehicles in my household, manufacture, yr, mileage, miles driven. They even wanted details on the company vehicle that I drive for work that is owned by the company that I work for! They would not cover my F350.

American Collectors covered all three with a pleasant,easy to talk to Agent.
They even cover the f350 while towing?!?!?!?!?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
They even cover the f350 while towing?!?!?!?!?
Can't remember the answer on that one,Brad. Can't find anything about towing with a policy covered vehicle in my declaration. Says your trailer/vehicle is covered but no mention of "towing". My guess is no.

I no longer own a trailer so not an issue right now. Got my curious though,might have to give em a call.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Can't remember the answer on that one,Brad. Can't find anything about towing with a policy covered vehicle in my declaration. Says your trailer/vehicle is covered but no mention of "towing". My guess is no.

I no longer own a trailer so not an issue right now. Got my curious though,might have to give em a call.
Every classic or collector insurance I found does not allow towing. My 97 doesnt fall into the 20+ year category either and it pretty much stays hooked to the trailer

Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
ANOTHER heads up.

Both Condon Skelly and Classic Automobile Insurance would not sure my 20 year on 96s. They say 30+

Old 07-28-2016, 11:43 PM
eagle275
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW, I have Farm Bureau on my house, umbrella, and vehicles. Saves alot of money.

Quick Reply: Antique insurance?