1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor heat in my new 2015 F-350 4X4 Diesel Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have run under a 50 50 mix in my vehicles for 35 years. Never had a heat issue, a coolant based failure, or cooling related problems. I find it funny that coolant boils at 240 degrees at atmospheric when water boils at 212. IF water was the better coolant, we would all be running methanol/water mixes just for freeze protection...just because "google" says something does not counteract 35 years of experience.

I have 5 bucks your trucks problem is a failed thermostat...not the ratio of water to coolant in your cooling system.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:29 PM
SS70ElCaminoOwner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
I have run under a 50 50 mix in my vehicles for 35 years. Never had a heat issue, a coolant based failure, or cooling related problems. I find it funny that coolant boils at 240 degrees at atmospheric when water boils at 212. IF water was the better coolant, we would all be running methanol/water mixes just for freeze protection...just because "google" says something does not counteract 35 years of experience.

I have 5 bucks your trucks problem is a failed thermostat...not the ratio of water to coolant in your cooling system.

I thought you were saying you were running 90 percent antifreeze to 10 % water. If you are saying the reverse that is not good either as antifreeze has the secondary purpose of lubricant and antirust.

It is not just one Google entire that supports 50/50, it is all of them.

This is my last comment on this topic.

I do agree I believe the problem to be the thermostat, but the ratio was a good point to check.

DONE.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Did you get the supplemental heater with this truck? That helps a lot with the slow warm ups.

My guess is a thermostat that is stuck.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
My point is that the ratio of water to coolant has about as much to do with heater output as the air in your tires.

As long as the system is full and operating as designed, the ratio means nothing as to how the heater works.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:53 PM
SS70ElCaminoOwner
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Did you get the supplemental heater with this truck? That helps a lot with the slow warm ups.

My guess is a thermostat that is stuck.

Just got the truck back, no supplemental heater purchased, for $60,000 I should have heat.

code was P207F, they rerflashed the computer.

They state that the poor heat is normal.

They state they were not able to duplicate the false backup obstruction alarm.

Suggested I call Ford Customer Service.

Ford customer service will not do anything because the work order says operating within specification

Boy am I unhappy. No new Fords for me in the future

Old 02-05-2015, 04:56 PM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
Go back to the dealer, take a new truck with the same engine off of the lot and go for a test drive. See how long it takes to produce heat.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:11 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Couple things I have noticed with my truck...2008 f250 6.4 Diesel.....Back up sensors...any salt or road grime or snow or ice on any of the sensors will initiate a false reading and activate the alarm (which always makes me wonder how these cars that park themselves do in the winter)
Climate control while in the "auto" mode always has a delay activating the fan in the cold...not really sure why...however I assume it's to let some heat build up in the engine first. If you take it out of "auto" mode..ie use the fan speed selector to turn the fan on, it'll come on instantly and start blowing air warm or cold.
As far as you lack of heat issues....They make winter front grill covers for these trucks for a reason. When I first got my truck I didn't have one....in cold weather heat in the cab sucked and it never really reached operating temp even on long drives. However put on the winter front grill cover....always reaches operating temps no matter how cold it is outside....and heat output in the cab is 100 times better.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:58 AM
SS70ElCaminoOwner
Senior User
Originally Posted by sxrfun
Couple things I have noticed with my truck...2008 f250 6.4 Diesel.....Back up sensors...any salt or road grime or snow or ice on any of the sensors will initiate a false reading and activate the alarm (which always makes me wonder how these cars that park themselves do in the winter)
Climate control while in the "auto" mode always has a delay activating the fan in the cold...not really sure why...however I assume it's to let some heat build up in the engine first. If you take it out of "auto" mode..ie use the fan speed selector to turn the fan on, it'll come on instantly and start blowing air warm or cold.
As far as you lack of heat issues....They make winter front grill covers for these trucks for a reason. When I first got my truck I didn't have one....in cold weather heat in the cab sucked and it never really reached operating temp even on long drives. However put on the winter front grill cover....always reaches operating temps no matter how cold it is outside....and heat output in the cab is 100 times better.

Where did you get your cover.

Ford dealer as stated heat is within specs. I have discovered what they were doing was turning the heat out off auto mode and cranking it all the way up, in in fact you do get some heat that way.

This truck is equipped with dual climate control and when it is set to 76 degrees the fan never ramps up and the heat coming out of the ducts is at best luke warm.

It has now been back to the dealer twice fro this problem, it appears they think I am complaining because I like to.

Time to buy a foreign truck

Old 02-06-2015, 09:30 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
The auto mode may keep the fan speed lower if the coolant temps never get into the operating range....I know with the winter front...my auto mode keeps the truck quite toasty now to the point the wife no longer complains about being cold lol. I got my winter front off Ebay....its Ford OEM.....you can get it from the dealer as well.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by SS70ElCaminoOwner
Where did you get your cover.

Ford dealer as stated heat is within specs. I have discovered what they were doing was turning the heat out off auto mode and cranking it all the way up, in in fact you do get some heat that way.

This truck is equipped with dual climate control and when it is set to 76 degrees the fan never ramps up and the heat coming out of the ducts is at best luke warm.

It has now been back to the dealer twice fro this problem, it appears they think I am complaining because I like to.

Time to buy a foreign truck
Put a winter front on your truck......this will help it to wamp up faster, and run at normal operating temperature.
As far as your backup sensor, it is pretty hard for a tech to get them to duplicate when your problem is more than likely frost on the sensor, and they are working in a warm shop. Before getting in your truck to drive, take your gloved hand and wipe the frost off the sensor.
Foreign trucks are like consumer reports........overrated! My Super Duty can haul 2 foreign trucks, my jeep and my RZR, all at the same time!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Mtncrash1
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's what I have done with mine. I have cardboard in front of the radiator( the winter fronts I was finding a month ago required stick on snaps and the grill needed to be at room temp) I turn the dual control off and turn the heat selector all the way up usually on defrost or the floor/ defrost mode. This truck will roast you out if given the time. If I let it warm up for 15 mins. before I drive the temp is comfortable. I also have the heated seats ( which my wife loves) that help make me or you a bit warmer.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:49 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Just got the truck back, no supplemental heater purchased, for $60,000 I should have heat.

code was P207F, they rerflashed the computer.

They state that the poor heat is normal.

They state they were not able to duplicate the false backup obstruction alarm.

Suggested I call Ford Customer Service.

Ford customer service will not do anything because the work order says operating within specification

Boy am I unhappy. No new Fords for me in the future
It's time to get me involved, SS70ElCaminoOwner. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll push this up the line to your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

Old 02-06-2015, 12:22 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
That should have zero to do with heat output. More than not they removed the air bubble that was restricting heat.
Concur:

There are some additives you can add that allow faster heat transfer in water, this will allow the temp to decrease by 5-15 degrees. That said its still governed by the thermostat. If its 180 F then that is when it opens, 180 is 180 regardless of how fast the water is able to heat transfer.

Air Bubbles: Yes they can be there and be there on a brand new car. Friend of mine bought a new car and drove from the dealer to my house to show it too me. It was overheating when he pulled in the driveway. I suspected an air bubble. I hosed down his engine and radiator til it was cool enough to remove rad cap. Fired it up and let it run with heater on till he reached oper temp. I kept adding water to it. Had him rev engine a few times and suddenly water level DROPPED, filled it to full, replaced cap and he never had another issue.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 PM
SS70ElCaminoOwner
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordService
It's time to get me involved, SS70ElCaminoOwner. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll push this up the line to your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

I have sent a PM Thanks

Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Concur:

There are some additives you can add that allow faster heat transfer in water, this will allow the temp to decrease by 5-15 degrees. That said its still governed by the thermostat. If its 180 F then that is when it opens, 180 is 180 regardless of how fast the water is able to heat transfer.

Air Bubbles: Yes they can be there and be there on a brand new car. Friend of mine bought a new car and drove from the dealer to my house to show it too me. It was overheating when he pulled in the driveway. I suspected an air bubble. I hosed down his engine and radiator til it was cool enough to remove rad cap. Fired it up and let it run with heater on till he reached oper temp. I kept adding water to it. Had him rev engine a few times and suddenly water level DROPPED, filled it to full, replaced cap and he never had another issue.

Coolant was tested mixture is 50/50

Old 02-07-2015, 06:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I have sent a PM Thanks

Coolant was tested mixture is 50/50

You need a different dealer to look at it. check the operation of the T stats.

Quick Reply: Poor heat in my new 2015 F-350 4X4 Diesel Lariat